Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Kaikoura - short break . Anyone been recently please?

Kaikoura - short break . Anyone been recently please?

Old Jan 12th 2019, 12:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Kaikoura - short break . Anyone been recently please?

We are thinking of a short break somewhere at the beginning of Feb.

I'm gravitating towards Kaikoura but haven't been since before the quakes.

Has anyone stayed there or been through recently please?

How is it?
Old Jan 12th 2019, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Default Re: Kaikoura - short break . Anyone been recently please?

Originally Posted by BEVS
We are thinking of a short break somewhere at the beginning of Feb.

I'm gravitating towards Kaikoura but haven't been since before the quakes.

Has anyone stayed there or been through recently please?

How is it?
We have been a couple of times since the 2016 quake and it seems to be recovering really well, although the landscape has changed quite a bit in parts. The road down there still has some roadworks on it but they have done a really good job and I heard the other day that the passenger trains have started running again. As far as I could tell, most of the shops and restaurants are all up and running as normal . It's a lovely place to visit.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I passed through a few weeks ago on a motorbike tour. first time I'd been into the town itself but I only stopped for lunch.
Everything seemed to be open and there were no signs of quakieness in the town.
The road from Kaikoura heading north is still a series of on and of roadworks that seem to move around as they were is different places
when I made my return journey a week later,
Cant offer any more than that im afraid
Old Jan 13th 2019, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

If/When you go - you must stop at the Oahu point.

There's a temporary walkway on the coast side for you to park and use, as the actual walkway itself isn't fully repaired yet.

However, I have never seen so many seals in my life than when we visited. There must have been at least 500 to 1000 seals. Both adult and baby/junior seals.

It resulted in the first time we've ever been to the seal colony south of Kaikoura and not seen a single seal​​​​​​.