Kaikohe

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Lydia81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kaikohe

Hello

My partner is an electrician and has had an interview with Top Energy, which was successful, just waiting for references checks and final conformation

Then we can get on with visas and stuff,

The job is in Kaikohe, we have lived in the outback of Australia so will have no problems with being far from any major city

Just wondering if any one lives there or has been there? Is there local buses? Swimming pools? Gym and a library?

Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kaikohe

Welcome!

I've never been there but googled it and came up with this - http://www.kaikohe.co.nz/
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/new...ectid=11117172
http://www.newzealand.com/int/kaikohe/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaikohe

Hopefully, someone who knows a bit more will be able to answer any questions
Old Sep 4th 2013, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We went up there a few weeks ago from Auckland as hubby had a work meeting.

I went just for the trip, and had the intention of going round the shops, town.

The town is quite small, and it didn't take me very long to walk along the main 'high street'. I spent a while in the shop The Warehouse to kill some time and there were a couple of art/craft shops in the main high street, along with a couple of cafes, op shops (charity). There was a Subway in the main street and there is a library just around the back of the high street, which looked quite small. The Far North District Council have their headquarters there, it's not a massive office block, but deals with the full range of Council services.

It is around 30km from Kerikeri I think, which has a bigger town and more to explore and it's also not too far from Paihia and then across to the lovely Russell.

I didn't explore much more than the high street and had lunch at Subway, but I did find it difficult to fill my time there (approx 4 hours). One thing I did notice was that the busiest place in town seemed to be the people congregating outside of the Ministry of Justice (Court).

As I said, I only spent a few hours there so cannot give more in depth knowledge of the area and schools etc. Trademe would be a good place to look at housing options.

Good luck with the move
Old Sep 4th 2013, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

It takes about 25 mins to Kaikohe from Kerikeri and well worth the trip. I don't know many who would recommend living in the 'town' of Kaikohe but certainly lifestyle blocks would be fine. Have a good look at schools (if you have kids!!) and the areas you would have to live in to be in zone.
We've been in Keri for just over a month now so please feel free to ask a newbie what it's like!