Justice?

Old Oct 13th 2005, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Justice?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10349657

Poor guy was just pi.ssed and though it might be a good idea.

Deserves to get done for drink driving but not bribery surely?

The cop should have just said no and not baited him.

Bas.tard cops - ruined a 21 year olds life!
I'm not saying what he did was right but still......
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:08 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Justice?

Serves him right for drink driving.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:13 am
Naked and lightly greased

Dappadee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kelvynd

Poor guy was just pi.ssed and though it might be a good idea.

Deserves to get done for drink driving but not bribery surely?

The cop should have just said no and not baited him.

Hard to tell the exact details of the case from such a small article, but I would say that because the guy offered to bribe the copper without being prompted (as far as the article says anyway) and then actually handed over cash he is very much guilty of bribery. You should be happy that there are still some honest coppers out there.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Serves him right for drink driving.
Being done for drink driving serves him right yes - no argument there

But I bet thousands of people have pleaded with police to let them go for fear of a criminal record, losing licence etc....this guy just went a bit too far saying "i'll give you some money if you let me go".

Police man should have just said no..and carried on with processing him for drink driving...he's 21 years old after all.....I guess he deserved to be done for bribery as that's what happened but the cop shouldn't have let it go that far in the first place.

I mean - can a policeman willing let you commit a crime and then charge you for it?

What if the guy had said he needed to go for a slash over by the tree and the policeman let him. Would it be ok for the policeman to charge him for public disorder or similar?

Last edited by kelvynd; Oct 13th 2005 at 11:07 am. Reason: have more to say...
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:30 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Being done for drink driving serves him right yes - no argument there

But I bet thousands of people have pleaded with police to let them go for fear of a criminal record, losing licence etc....this guy just went a bit too far saying "i'll give you some money if you let me go".

Police man should have just said no..and carried on with processing him for drink driving...he's 21 years old after all.....I guess he deserved to be done for bribery as that's what happened but the cop shouldn't have let it go that far in the first place.

I mean - can a policeman willing let you commit a crime and then charge you for it?

What if the guy had said he needed to go for a slash over by the tree and the policeman let him. Would it be ok for the policeman to charge him for public disorder or similar?
The cops are pretty human and easy going here but also not as sophisticated as the UK police force so I expect they do what they thinks right. As someone mentioned in the thread earlier just be thankful he didn't say ok and take the bribe
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:32 pm
sky
Banned

Also if he hadn't have been stupid enough to drink drive he wouldn't be in this situation now would he, so it still serves him right!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 7:57 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

The cops didn't ruin his life
He did it his self

In this day and age it's always easy to blame someone else
He should have taken responsibility for his own actions
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

"Reuben handed over $2000. He was sentenced to 260 hours' community work."
Not quite sure 260 hrs of community service classifies as ruining his life.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Throw the book at him.....!

Not enough sentence if you ask me..........should have sliced his goolies off with a blunt razor..............
Old Oct 17th 2005, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by newkiwi
"Reuben handed over $2000. He was sentenced to 260 hours' community work."
Not quite sure 260 hrs of community service classifies as ruining his life.
No - but a conviction for bribery on your record might have an effect.

Anyway - seems i'm alone on my thoughts on this one.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:38 am
sky
Banned

Yup
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:46 am
livewire

Another drunk driver off the road. Good.

Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by livewire
Another drunk driver off the road. Good.
Dug this up from the depths of the archives....
My post wasn't about the drink driving conviction....very good that he's done for that.
I was posting about the bribery thing....but we've ascertained that no one in this forum agrees with my thoughts on that....
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually - I thought about this some more and I reckon the guy could fight this.

Excerpt from http://www.paralegaladvice.org.za/docs/chap11/02.html

What are the requirements for a contract?

There must an agreement between the people about what each person must do under the contract. In other words, there must an offer by one person and an acceptance by the other. For example, if a person offers a reward to anyone to find something and another person claims the reward after finding the thing, this is a contract.
Both parties should have the same understanding of what the contract means. In other words, there must be a meeting of the minds. If one of the parties doesn’t properly explain what is in a contract, for example, misrepresenting what is in a contract, or not explaining the details properly to a person who is illiterate, then the contract will not be valid.
The contract should be legal and not contra bonos mores. In other words, it should not be illegal or go against the morality of society. For example, the Sexual Offences Act says paid sex work is illegal. So, an agreement or contract where a person agrees to give sex in return for money is void. In other words, it is not a proper contract.
The offer must be serious and definite, not vague. For example, Tom says to Anne, 'I will buy your car, if it suits me.' Anne agrees to this. There is no contract because the offer was not serious or definite.
The person making the contract must have the legal power to enter into the contract.
Examples of people who don't have legal power to enter into contracts are:
children under 7 years
people who are mentally insane
people who are very drunk or drugged
A person cannot enter into a contract if it is impossible to carry out what is in the agreement. For example, someone agrees to sell you a house and you agree to buy that house. But the house gets washed away in a flood before you sign the agreement. So, it is impossible for the contract to be enforced because there is no house.

The guy offered a bribe, the policemand accepted it with the intention of seeing if he would go through with it, which the guy did.
It was a contract to wave the fine for a cash bribe.

The guy got done for drink driving - def. fair enough and good job...but that conviction means he was drunk and therfore the bribe agreement is invalid.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

actually, thought about this some more still and I know being drunk doesn't absolve you of complying with common laws.

But still i think the copper was harsh on the bribery thing. (not the Drink drive thing)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.