Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just wondering....

Just wondering....

Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

KiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to all
Default Just wondering....

I was just wondering if more people who are not happy with their move to NZ post on this forum as opposed to those who are happy with their move.

I say this because I'm in the process of trying to sell my house so that my family and I can move to NZ, and I do wonder if it's the right thing for us to do. Sometimes I'm sure that it is something we should do - other days I'm filled with doubts and think that we should stay put.

What I'm trying to get at in a very round about way is if people have moved over to NZ and are happy living full lives and getting on with things, would they take the time to post on forums such as these, or is it people who are unhappy with the move who post more often as they feel more in need of support etc.

Sorry I haven't expressed myself very well but would like to know what others think.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:57 am
turkeytickler

Default Re: Just wondering....

Originally Posted by KiwiDollie
I was just wondering if more people who are not happy with their move to NZ post on this forum as opposed to those who are happy with their move.

I say this because I'm in the process of trying to sell my house so that my family and I can move to NZ, and I do wonder if it's the right thing for us to do. Sometimes I'm sure that it is something we should do - other days I'm filled with doubts and think that we should stay put.

What I'm trying to get at in a very round about way is if people have moved over to NZ and are happy living full lives and getting on with things, would they take the time to post on forums such as these, or is it people who are unhappy with the move who post more often as they feel more in need of support etc.

Sorry I haven't expressed myself very well but would like to know what others think.

I suspect you are more likely to post on a forum like this if you have an issue you want to discuss so my bet would be that the happier people are off somewhere else being happy

Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:10 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

I'm very happy in NZ, but I come on here to keep in touch with other people going through the same thing. I start work after Christmas so won't have as much spare time on my hands as I do now though. But when we were doing the research and trying to make the decision this forum was invaluable so if our experience helps other people we're more than happy to throw in our tuppence worth.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:27 am
livewire

Well, at least by reading everyone's account of life in NZ you can make a decision that's also based on a certain degree of reality.

Many of the things you look for in NZ can be found in Britain. Some of the things things I looked for in NZ don't exist anymore or are fast becoming a thing of the past. With so much immigration there's bound to be a lot of change. If you want "traditional NZ" it may not exist in many of the places where we Brits tend to want to live and work. Some find it, some don't.

I think you have to consider very carefully what your financial situation will be like here and if that will allow you to do the things that you'd like to do with your life.

Most of us come here thinking that we are going to stay here permanently but it doesn't have to be that way. If you have the resources you can always give it a go for a year or two and see if you like it, maybe hang on to your house and just rent here for a while?

Old Dec 6th 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

KiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm trying to gather as much personal opinion as I can, but realise that everyone's experiences are going to be different.

As with any major life change there are days when things are all positive and seems like the way to go - other days more negative thoughts get in the way.

There are no guarantees in life so I admire anyone with the b@lls to give life in a new country a try. Some people it will suit - some it won't but I don't want to spend the rest of my life thinking 'what if' so will definitely give it a go. My biggest worry is whether it will be the best thing for my kids who are both really keen to go but at 16 and 11 have a good circle of friends and are both doing really well at school.

Ooooo I wish I had a crystal ball
Old Dec 6th 2005, 10:43 am
Naked and lightly greased

Dappadee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm trying to gather as much personal opinion as I can, but realise that everyone's experiences are going to be different.

As with any major life change there are days when things are all positive and seems like the way to go - other days more negative thoughts get in the way.

There are no guarantees in life so I admire anyone with the b@lls to give life in a new country a try. Some people it will suit - some it won't but I don't want to spend the rest of my life thinking 'what if' so will definitely give it a go. My biggest worry is whether it will be the best thing for my kids who are both really keen to go but at 16 and 11 have a good circle of friends and are both doing really well at school.

Ooooo I wish I had a crystal ball
Everyone has doubts, but I would much rather look back in few years and say damn, that was an experience. Rather than saying damn, I wish I had done that. I'm hanging on to my UK house and I’m going out to NZ for a few years and I will take it from there. IMHO life's too short to fart around worrying about every conceivable outcome of a situation, so roll on Kiwi land.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dappadee
Everyone has doubts, but I would much rather look back in few years and say damn, that was an experience. Rather than saying damn, I wish I had done that. I'm hanging on to my UK house and I’m going out to NZ for a few years and I will take it from there. IMHO life's too short to fart around worrying about every conceivable outcome of a situation, so roll on Kiwi land.

Yeah I agree with you - I've always been indecisive, now I'm not so sure
Old Dec 6th 2005, 11:28 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Just wondering....

This is the argument my Father in law gives me when he's trying to pitch us to come back to NZ - Only people who have complaints and negative experiences would post on forums.

All I can say is - have a look at the Australia forum, see how many negative posts there are there (next to none) and then decide whether its just people with negative experiences who post on forums, or whether it's just that a high percentage of people who have moved to NZ have negative experiences!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 6th 2005, 9:33 pm
livewire

I suspect it is the latter Buzzy.

Australia isn't oversold, the standard of living is higher there, the labour market is bigger and more sophisticated and the country as a whole isn't as introverted as NZ is.

Old Dec 6th 2005, 10:37 pm
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

i agree with u there livewire. nz is made out to be the treasure chest full of wonderful surprises but when u get here and realise that it isnt that at all, it kinda dampens the whole experience.
screw new zealand house in london for filling my parents heads with all these 'wonderful' ideas.....
Old Dec 6th 2005, 10:56 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
This is the argument my Father in law gives me when he's trying to pitch us to come back to NZ - Only people who have complaints and negative experiences would post on forums.

All I can say is - have a look at the Australia forum, see how many negative posts there are there (next to none) and then
decide whether its just people with negative experiences who post on forums, or whether it's just that a high percentage of people who have moved to NZ have negative experiences!
Cheers

Buzzy

Of the 12,000 ish people that move from the UK to NZ each year about a hand full post negative experiences on here, so I would not say that a high percentage of people have negative experiences

Most people and i know it's a dirty word probably enjoy NZ

K9
Old Dec 6th 2005, 11:00 pm
livewire

Are you enjoying it?

Old Dec 6th 2005, 11:43 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livewire
Are you enjoying it?
I don't think K9's here yet livewire
Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:10 am
livewire

Well I'm sure that he will do his best to enjoy it when he's here. Do you have a family to support K9?

Old Dec 7th 2005, 12:54 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Originally Posted by livewire
Well I'm sure that he will do his best to enjoy it when he's here. Do you have a family to support K9?
Yes I have a wife and 8 month old wonderful baby

So my wife will not be working until our son is old enough to go to kindy

K9

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.