Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just want to say hi

Just want to say hi

Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:03 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: London - Soon to be Tauranga
Posts: 30
GinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really nice
Default Just want to say hi

I am moving to NZ soon as possible! I have the benefit of being an NZ citizen having lived in NZ many years ago. Now I'm heading for Tauranga. The logistics seem to be overwhelming! Like where do I live while I look for a house to buy. Do I buy a laptop with a dongle - not least so that I can keep in touch with my family in Aus and UK. Then there's the whole thing of what shall I keep in terms of furniture, tv etc? bearing in mind that I'd virtually have to give it away and then replace it.
GinnyB is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:05 am
  #2  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 34,872
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Well. Many welcomes to this little NZ forum and Happy Postings to you.
BEVS is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:09 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: London - Soon to be Tauranga
Posts: 30
GinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really nice
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Well. Many welcomes to this little NZ forum and Happy Postings to you.
Thanks! I've read some of the threads and saw just thought how kind, thoughtful, sensible and helpful all the replies have been. Great site!
GinnyB is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:13 am
  #4  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 34,872
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Really?

We haven't been trying hard enough.

Hey. Welcome and see you around the main forum.
BEVS is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:15 am
  #5  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Originally Posted by GinnyB View Post
Thanks! I've read some of the threads and saw just thought how kind, thoughtful, sensible and helpful all the replies have been. Great site!
Sensible? Oh, not mine clearly!

Have a premature welcome back to NZ from me! I lived in London all my childhood/teens and that's where I met my Kiwi Hubby. We've been in Tauranga (Papamoa) for 2.5 years now and love it! Give me a heads up nearer your arrival and I may be able to help you with rentals/purchasing.

In the meantime - happy posting.
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2009, 11:18 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: London - Soon to be Tauranga
Posts: 30
GinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really nice
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
Sensible? Oh, not mine clearly!

Have a premature welcome back to NZ from me! I lived in London all my childhood/teens and that's where I met my Kiwi Hubby. We've been in Tauranga (Papamoa) for 2.5 years now and love it! Give me a heads up nearer your arrival and I may be able to help you with rentals/purchasing.

In the meantime - happy posting.
I was hoping you would come online! You live in Papamoa which I'm sure has lots more housing than when I was last there! I just can't wait to get there! Would really appreciate advice about where to live!
GinnyB is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:03 am
  #7  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Originally Posted by GinnyB View Post
I was hoping you would come online! You live in Papamoa which I'm sure has lots more housing than when I was last there! I just can't wait to get there! Would really appreciate advice about where to live!
Yes, plenty of development I'm sure over the last years. You'd have to have a think about where you want to be and what lifestyle you fancy? Rural, town, beach, views for example? I wanted beach for me and the kids so that's why we chose where we are - and love it! We are lucky in that we are one street back from the beach, great family oriented area, good school etc, etc. I wouldn't have minded being nearer the Mount - but it gets more expensive and I would say busier/more crowded down there.

Let me know where you might be based for work and what is important to you lifestyle/housing/area wise and I'll see what I can come up with!
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:30 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: London - Soon to be Tauranga
Posts: 30
GinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really nice
Default Re: Just want to say hi

I like both beach and rural!!! The main thing will be to find a place where I can have a veggie patch. I'd like to be quite near Tauranga because I will need to get work (hopefully part-time so that I can enjoy being back in NZ ). It seems that I'm too old (at 56) to get a job in this overcrowded city which is obviously a big prompt for the move. Was thinking about starting a gite-type business or even a business helping people with family history. But the main thing is I need sunshine, a beautiful clean environment and peace. I sound really boring, don't I!
GinnyB is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:52 am
  #9  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Originally Posted by GinnyB View Post
I like both beach and rural!!! The main thing will be to find a place where I can have a veggie patch. I'd like to be quite near Tauranga because I will need to get work (hopefully part-time so that I can enjoy being back in NZ ). It seems that I'm too old (at 56) to get a job in this overcrowded city which is obviously a big prompt for the move. Was thinking about starting a gite-type business or even a business helping people with family history. But the main thing is I need sunshine, a beautiful clean environment and peace. I sound really boring, don't I!
Not boring at all! You can have rural and more secluded outside of the main areas and still be only say 10 minutes from the beach and half an hour from Tauranga - but they are few and far between.

How about this one? You'll have to fight my neighbours for it - she's fallen in love with it! What line of work are you in?
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 7:04 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: London - Soon to be Tauranga
Posts: 30
GinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really nice
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
Not boring at all! You can have rural and more secluded outside of the main areas and still be only say 10 minutes from the beach and half an hour from Tauranga - but they are few and far between.

How about this one? You'll have to fight my neighbours for it - she's fallen in love with it! What line of work are you in?
I LOVE IT That garden is fantastic!!!!!!! The house is lovely too. I wonder why they cancelled the Open Home on Sunday. Let me know how your neighbours get on.
It's so frustrating treading water here, watching the exchange rate going down, having to answer weird questions/demands from the purchasers' solicitors. It's taken five weeks and we haven't even exchanged yet!
All I want is to be on my way and start the big search.
I have worked as a Technical Author in Finance IT for years and years. What I'm looking for will be Admin/Sec. Heavens, I'll even wait table!
GinnyB is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:12 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Numptyhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Waikato
Posts: 525
Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Hi GinnyB

Welcome to this forum, its lovely here. Anything you want to know just ask away. The odds are.....I won't know but plenty of peeps on here will.

We are in the process of applying for PR and we are hoping to move to Whakatane, hopefully for Nov time. So all being well, only an hour away from your intended destination. We too will be opting for the rural life. Can't wait to get a veggie garden going but may have to wait a while as we will be renting first off.

The logistics of the move are difficult to work out. I am wondering how we will manage when the container has taken all our stuff away and we are left in the house with next to nothing for maybe a week and trying to look after the pennies. It could be a laugh but as I am nearly 50, I don't want to be sleeping on the floor. We have great airbeds but they will be on the container.

Good luck with everything
Maria
Numptyhead is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:22 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: London - Soon to be Tauranga
Posts: 30
GinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really nice
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Originally Posted by Numptyhead View Post
Hi GinnyB

Welcome to this forum, its lovely here. Anything you want to know just ask away. The odds are.....I won't know but plenty of peeps on here will.

We are in the process of applying for PR and we are hoping to move to Whakatane, hopefully for Nov time. So all being well, only an hour away from your intended destination. We too will be opting for the rural life. Can't wait to get a veggie garden going but may have to wait a while as we will be renting first off.

The logistics of the move are difficult to work out. I am wondering how we will manage when the container has taken all our stuff away and we are left in the house with next to nothing for maybe a week and trying to look after the pennies. It could be a laugh but as I am nearly 50, I don't want to be sleeping on the floor. We have great airbeds but they will be on the container.

Good luck with everything
Maria
Hi there! You must be getting excited too! I've been looking at the Whakatane area too but I'm not sure about getting work there. Also because I've lived in Tauranga, know that area a bit. How big is your family? Where are you now? (AM I being too nosy?)I guess I'm lucky that I only have myself to think about.
I've decided to fly Premium Economy so that I won't be too wasted when I arrive!!!!! Just hope that it's worth the extra money. Wish I could afford Business (ho hum).
Maybe we can meet up in the not too distant future?
GinnyB is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:33 am
  #13  
MnB
 
MnB's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Welly UK to Welly NZ to Welly UK
Posts: 2,227
MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Originally Posted by GinnyB View Post
I am moving to NZ soon as possible! I have the benefit of being an NZ citizen having lived in NZ many years ago. Now I'm heading for Tauranga. The logistics seem to be overwhelming! Like where do I live while I look for a house to buy. Do I buy a laptop with a dongle - not least so that I can keep in touch with my family in Aus and UK. Then there's the whole thing of what shall I keep in terms of furniture, tv etc? bearing in mind that I'd virtually have to give it away and then replace it.
Hi Ginny
Welcome from us too!
From reading your posts it seems we also have a few things in common! similar age, heading for BOP (we think!) OH is NZ citizen ....oh and just sold (& bought) house ....our exchange took 15wks!! mainly due to our buyers having prob with their bank but thankfully we got there in the end...so hold on tight!
Good luck with everything, keep us posted & be prepared to get BE finger!! (addicted to this site!) B x
MnB is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:09 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
Numptyhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Waikato
Posts: 525
Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Originally Posted by GinnyB View Post
Hi there! You must be getting excited too! I've been looking at the Whakatane area too but I'm not sure about getting work there. Also because I've lived in Tauranga, know that area a bit. How big is your family? Where are you now? (AM I being too nosy?)I guess I'm lucky that I only have myself to think about.
I've decided to fly Premium Economy so that I won't be too wasted when I arrive!!!!! Just hope that it's worth the extra money. Wish I could afford Business (ho hum).
Maybe we can meet up in the not too distant future?
Yep, we certainly are very excited but trying to keep it all contained because there is so much to do. We are in Cornwall at the moment

Lucky you, flying Premium, there are 3 of us, one of which is 13yr old daughter. We toyed with the idea of paying the extra, but decided we would save our money for fun stuff when we are there.

I have a job at Whakatane Hospital
Numptyhead is offline  
Old Aug 26th 2009, 9:18 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: London - Soon to be Tauranga
Posts: 30
GinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really niceGinnyB is just really nice
Default Re: Just want to say hi

Beautiful Cornwall, although summer hasn't been too good. Great that you've got a job to go to - wish I had a transportable profession. Is your daughter excited too? I'm sure she's going to love the new lifestyle. Your OH must be happy to be going home.
GinnyB is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.