Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is it just us?????

Is it just us?????

Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:06 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is it just us?????

Heres one for the usual suspects,

When we started this whole idea of emigrating and put in our EOI everything was very exciting and we couldn't wait for the next step, so it goes on you get selected from the pool, yippee, then ITA goes in, medicals, police checks, letters from employers, interviews with NZIS etc etc, at last you get the big blue stickers (if you're lucky) and it's not the excitement and elation that it should be, but 'thank christ that bit's over right whats next'

Does anyone else find that after a while the excitement go's and it becomes just part of life.

Not trying to put the experience down, it's been a fantastic rollercoster of emotions but just curious as to how others feel when looking back at the whole process.

Adie
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just us?????

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie

When we started this whole idea of emigrating and put in our EOI everything was very exciting and we couldn't wait for the next step, so it goes on you get selected from the pool, yippee, then ITA goes in, medicals, police checks, letters from employers, interviews with NZIS etc etc, at last you get the big blue stickers (if you're lucky) and it's not the excitement and elation that it should be, but 'thank christ that bit's over right whats next'

Does anyone else find that after a while the excitement go's and it becomes just part of life.

Not trying to put the experience down, it's been a fantastic rollercoster of emotions but just curious as to how others feel when looking back at the whole process.

Adie

hi Adie
looking back at the whole process mow, we just seemed to take it all in our stride. Our veiw from th ebeginning was we'll give this a bash & see how far we go. coming here was never the big dream it is for some people, hubs always wanted to live in a different country he just didn't know where. So we came to a desision to try NZ (never been before) & here we are, loving it still after 7 mths. i did feel towards the end of process whilst awaiting the yeah or nah on the PR that thigs started to annoy me with where we was living & i was like 'jeez i want out of here'. But that said if we had been refused the PR we would have moved to the next county, as was our plan before we started the whole NZ thing.
(blimey i prattled on a bit there- sorry )
Old Nov 17th 2006, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to say, everyone is different. I was certainly pretty excited the whole way through.... I had to tell everyone what I was doing.... even the check-out girl at Tescos. I hadnt travelled much and having got pretty disillusioned with things that were happening in the UK, I really looked forward to it.... even though it didnt seem very real at the time.

BUT, things are like that arnt they. Things seem very very exciting to start with.... then you kind of get used to it and accept it more and its not on your mind all the time. Its like anything I suppose.... when we moved here and I asked my OH if I could have a horse I was soooo excited..... then I found a livery yard and went to look at some horses, I became more cool about it... I just accepted that the horse I chose was going to become part of our lives.

So with all this rambling I guess Im saying that youre pretty normal to feel the way you are and that youre getting used to the idea. I'm sure its just a natural reaction and how we cope with things.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:03 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by poppets
hi Adie
looking back at the whole process mow, we just seemed to take it all in our stride. Our veiw from th ebeginning was we'll give this a bash & see how far we go. coming here was never the big dream it is for some people, hubs always wanted to live in a different country he just didn't know where. So we came to a desision to try NZ (never been before) & here we are, loving it still after 7 mths. i did feel towards the end of process whilst awaiting the yeah or nah on the PR that thigs started to annoy me with where we was living & i was like 'jeez i want out of here'. But that said if we had been refused the PR we would have moved to the next county, as was our plan before we started the whole NZ thing.
(blimey i prattled on a bit there- sorry )
You sound a lot like us, I've wanted to move away since leaving uni. I sort of put it to the back of my mind until we visited NZ 3 years ago, and that sparked the though again, Jac was as keen if not more so so we started. and yes how much do i agree with you on the annoyances and yup I just want out of here. Only another 3 months to go.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

You sound a lot like us, I've wanted to move away since leaving uni. I sort of put it to the back of my mind until we visited NZ 3 years ago, and that sparked the though again, Jac was as keen if not more so so we started. and yes how much do i agree with you on the annoyances and yup I just want out of here. Only another 3 months to go.

3 mths will fly by , i can't believe we've been here 7 mths!!
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:18 pm
Actually just Adie

Originally Posted by poppets
3 mths will fly by , i can't believe we've been here 7 mths!!
I Know I can't wait. That said there a hell of a lot to do. still one thing at the time and it'll get done. That said in lots of ways still can't believe that its actually happening.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:31 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I Know I can't wait. That said there a hell of a lot to do. still one thing at the time and it'll get done. That said in lots of ways still can't believe that its actually happening.
Hi Adie,
when I read usual suspects, I had the people in mind who have answered so far
we didn't have the time to get to that point. We had thought about the whole thing for years but once we started the process it went so fast it was all we could do to keep up. Certainly agree with 'I can't believe it's happening' though. Just think, a few months and you will also be here and all this will be behind you. Have you made a final decision on where you will end up yet?
Karen B
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:40 pm
Actually just Adie

Originally Posted by karonious
Hi Adie,
when I read usual suspects, I had the people in mind who have answered so far
we didn't have the time to get to that point. We had thought about the whole thing for years but once we started the process it went so fast it was all we could do to keep up. Certainly agree with 'I can't believe it's happening' though. Just think, a few months and you will also be here and all this will be behind you. Have you made a final decision on where you will end up yet?
Karen B
Hi ya,

Hope all is well and things are good for you guys, it been a while.

Yup, Jac will soon be here to scare the natives, you should be ok tho, planning on somewhere just outside Auckland, possible Pukekohe. All depends tho, as I don't have a job offer yet (although not started looking seriously yet, my industry moves to fast to get in to early) so we could still be any where.
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Adie
Yes i felt like that completely too, complete elation after the Blue stickers, and just plain dull waiting for the big off now. I guess maybe you feel like me, it was a great challenge, all the hurdles and knockbacks to clear, brings out the competitiveness in us all. Yes, i feel that too. Hope it will be all worth it huh , when we finally get there. The long wait 3 months seems to be a year !
Old Nov 17th 2006, 8:54 pm
Actually just Adie

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
- snip - Hope it will be all worth it huh , when we finally get there. The long wait 3 months seems to be a year !
Well we'll know come Feb 07. and i'm sure it will be, although we prob's won't know for sure till 18-24 month down the line, Bring it on