Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just up sticks and go or not to go?

Wikiposts

Just up sticks and go or not to go?

Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:54 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just up sticks and go or not to go?

Hi there. Just to throw my 2p into the ring. As a recruitment consultant, I respect anyone who gets on a plane and comes to NZ without a firm job. A good way is to do a reec trip before making the big move and using it to secure a job offer. The last two candidates I saw on their recce trips I found work for, and they landed this work to start work. One even got a visa within 3 hours of landing.

It really isn't as hard as it's made out to be, believe me.

Regards,

Wiz
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:02 am
Just Joined

simonandlozzie has a spectacular aura aboutsimonandlozzie has a spectacular aura aboutsimonandlozzie has a spectacular aura about

Hi Maz
Thanks for your reply, we will only have time to visit Auckland unfortunately, but if I do decide to move over then I can look at Wellington and Christchurch etc at my leisure, but Auckland is the place that we both decided to go for first - who knows we may move South after a while
Many thanks
Lorraine
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:03 am
Just Joined

simonandlozzie has a spectacular aura aboutsimonandlozzie has a spectacular aura aboutsimonandlozzie has a spectacular aura about

So Wiz n Tom
Would you have any jobs going in Auckland?
Regards

Lorraine
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Barpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant future

Just to throw my twopence in.........I have booked flights and arrive in Christchurch on the 6th December as a visitor. I have sold my house, packed in my job (which I liked) and am generally taking the plunge. I don't have any job or accomodation lined up, don't have PR and don't know anyone in NZ. The good thing is that I am single with no kids which makes things a bit easier maybe.

This is by far the biggest gamble of my life but hopefully it will be the best decision I ever make. I take a lot of encouragement from all the people who post on this forum who have made similar moves.

Really looking forward to getting to NZ again.

The reason for me doing this is because you only get one shot at life and if I don't do it now I never will.

Good luck everyone

Barry
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:29 am
Just Joined

Good luck Barry, I hope it all works out well for you. Fingers crossed we will be doing the same very shortly
Lorraine
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

Hi Wiz
I'm also Essex born and bred - lived in Southend too for many years and now hoping to make it to Christchurch

My Husband wants to sell and go, as one of us needs a job offer to secure enough points so we will need to come out on a temporary work or visitor visa and apply for residency in due course. In your opinion, is it that easy

We have 3 children and 2 cats to think about and not enough money for it not to matter if it doesn't work out. I am a very positive person - normally but this whole thing is mindblowing
Old Nov 1st 2007, 6:58 am

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonandlozzie
So Wiz n Tom
Would you have any jobs going in Auckland?
Regards

Lorraine
Not me personally as I'm based in ChCh, but we have an office in Auckers that I can put you in touch with.

PM me if interested.

Cheers,

Andy
Old Nov 1st 2007, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Kerrygold
Hi Wiz
I'm also Essex born and bred - lived in Southend too for many years and now hoping to make it to Christchurch

My Husband wants to sell and go, as one of us needs a job offer to secure enough points so we will need to come out on a temporary work or visitor visa and apply for residency in due course. In your opinion, is it that easy

We have 3 children and 2 cats to think about and not enough money for it not to matter if it doesn't work out. I am a very positive person - normally but this whole thing is mindblowing
It is mindblowing, you're not wrong there! Possible though - TeamEmbo being a great eample. What you propose is very possible. What area of work is your husband looking at? This will have an effect on how well it goes. The other option is that your husband does a recce on his own for 2 weeks or so, secures a job offer (hopefully!), then comes with you all at a later date soon after, securing a work permit and visa on arrival.

PM me if you think I may b able to help.

Good luck!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

andrewmenet has a brilliant futureandrewmenet has a brilliant futureandrewmenet has a brilliant futureandrewmenet has a brilliant futureandrewmenet has a brilliant futureandrewmenet has a brilliant future

This question sure has got people thinking! I just booked a flight on the 14th of march to 4 april and will be looking for work in IT.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

Good luck Barry I hope everthing works out!!!!I'm sure it will!!!

Originally Posted by Barpolo
Just to throw my twopence in.........I have booked flights and arrive in Christchurch on the 6th December as a visitor. I have sold my house, packed in my job (which I liked) and am generally taking the plunge. I don't have any job or accomodation lined up, don't have PR and don't know anyone in NZ. The good thing is that I am single with no kids which makes things a bit easier maybe.

This is by far the biggest gamble of my life but hopefully it will be the best decision I ever make. I take a lot of encouragement from all the people who post on this forum who have made similar moves.

Really looking forward to getting to NZ again.

The reason for me doing this is because you only get one shot at life and if I don't do it now I never will.

Good luck everyone

Barry
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dustybin
Why on earth would he want to move there???

Jump on a plane and come over, if it doesn't work have a great three/six month break and go back, skint but happy with lots of stories to tell!
If he could get/entitled to an Australian PR then he could live and work in NZ.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewmenet
This question sure has got people thinking! I just booked a flight on the 14th of march to 4 april and will be looking for work in IT.
Best thing to do is closer to the date, get onto seek.co.nz search for some jobs, take note of the recruitment company advertising the job, send them your CV, then go and see them when you land. I also work in IT, landed here 31st August this year, having had contact with agencies and had them throwing themselves at me trying to get me here there and everywhere for interviews they had lined up for me. For me Candle.co.nz were brilliant, absoluteit.co.nz are another one. There are loads of IT jobs available a most of the younger IT workers here in NZ are going overseas on there 'OE'. This is what my HR Manager has told me and i work for one of the biggest ICT companies in NZ. So get your arse out here!!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:34 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of other places to try: www.searchworks.co.nz (agency) and www.certus.co.nz (consulting company).
Old Nov 1st 2007, 6:42 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Ths may be a bit tricky now you've booked the tickets .... but if you're making the effort to go to NZ why not make a stopover in Sydney or Brisbane en route? plenty of opportunities for someone in your line of work and usually better paid. Good social life too for single people.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 12:23 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dustybin
Why on earth would he want to move there???

Because of his life stage. Much more of a buzz generally about Aus yet with a relaxed vibe, plus higher salaries.

So I agree with JAJ and would consider Aus. NZ is very small and quiet, which is fine once you're ready to step off the treadmill and slow down the pace a little/lot (depending on former UK lifestyle), but it may be too quiet and 'boring' for the young and energetic. There is a reason that people say NZ is a great place to raise a family.

Obviously this is 'generally speaking' and it all depends on what floats ones boat.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Nov 2nd 2007 at 12:26 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.