British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Just starting out (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/just-starting-out-645099/)

lisamct Dec 16th 2009 6:56 pm

Just starting out

Hi all :)

Thought I'd better introduce myself as I've already posted on another thread asking for help!

Anyway, Im a midwife in Scotland and along with my OH we're just starting out on the long journey to get us to NZ. We're not far into the process, I've just completed the huge task of getting all the documents for my midwifery registration application organised and sent away and once thats back (soon I hope :fingerscrossed: ) I'll hopefully get a job offer and we can submit our EOI.

I'll no doubt be around picking all your brains over the next few months so be prepared!

MnB Dec 16th 2009 7:48 pm

Re: Just starting out

Originally Posted by lisamct (Post 8177908)

Thought I'd better introduce myself as I've already posted on another thread asking for help!

Anyway, Im a midwife in Scotland and along with my OH we're just starting out on the long journey to get us to NZ. We're not far into the process, I've just completed the huge task of getting all the documents for my midwifery registration application organised and sent away and once thats back (soon I hope :fingerscrossed: ) I'll hopefully get a job offer and we can submit our EOI.

I'll no doubt be around picking all your brains over the next few months so be prepared!

Hi Good luck & welcome!!
There are some very friendly 'brains' around here ....so pick away!! I'm sure you'll get a response to any requests for help, advice or support you just have to ask.
Best wishes with your plans :thumbsup:
B x

DavenHelen Dec 16th 2009 9:21 pm

hi and welcome :)
ditto to above.. we are a little way ahead but not much !

good luck!
Helen and Dave x

BEVS Dec 16th 2009 9:47 pm

Kia Ora and welcome to this little NZ forum.

Enjoy and Happy Postings :)

RobDon Dec 17th 2009 2:55 am

Ditto wat Bev says! :thumbsup:

neilspokes Dec 17th 2009 8:38 am

Hi
we are at the beginning as well, and this site is great for any help you need I have found it really helpful so far. Good luck with the process

george toni Dec 17th 2009 5:21 pm

Hi

My wife is a midwife here in Dunedin (scotland of the south island!) and loves it here.

If you want any info then drop as a PM and I will get her on the case.

She has been working here 5 years now and was the Associate charge Midwife (guess youd call that a matron,sister) in charge of staff and wards.

She scrubbed in for C/sections a new skill she learnt here (responsible for medical instruments as well as baby) she is a level 6 NZRC instructor and having done all that moved into the midwifery educators job responsible for new grad's /experienced and all sorts of training.

Now she has decided to leave the hospital and has set up a team as a LMC (lead maternity Carer).

Add to that she has just yesterday been offered a teaching position at otago Polytechnic where they run the midwifery degree.

As you can tell she has done alot since getting here! Im very proud of her and she is good at what she does and TBH she would kill me if she read this!

Point is she is a great person and I know would be more than happy to talk to you about all the above.

Good luck and PM her and I will bite the bullit and tell her what iv's written!

george

lisamct Dec 17th 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks for the lovely welcome :D

George thanks so much I might just be PMing your wife with some midwifery queries at some point, sounds like she's really making the most of it out there.

MooMoo290373 Dec 19th 2009 7:25 pm

Hello and welcome :D

willand tina_h Dec 20th 2009 8:33 am

Originally Posted by MooMoo290373 (Post 8185901)
Hello and welcome :D

hi to you too lisamac, good luck with everything and welcome to be the friendliest site around :D

Tina. x

alanmacc Dec 21st 2009 10:11 pm

Hi and welcome, once you get the nursing registration it does help speed up the process, if you need an agency contact for jobs let me know and I will drop you a line with the agency my OH used for her nursing job

SueMF Dec 22nd 2009 6:55 pm

Hi there,
I have been working as a midwife for the last 16 months in the Auckland area.
I found it very different at first but have gradually adjusted. Any questions about the basics feel free to ask. Where are you hoping to live?.

lisamct Dec 22nd 2009 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by SueMF (Post 8192069)
Hi there,
I have been working as a midwife for the last 16 months in the Auckland area.
I found it very different at first but have gradually adjusted. Any questions about the basics feel free to ask. Where are you hoping to live?.

Hi Sue (and everyone else :) )

We're looking at Hawkes Bay at the moment as our most likely destination. It's good to hear from someone who's been through it all recently. How are you finding it so far? I already know a few NZ midwives so have an idea of how the system works but it's always good to have some extra insider info!

SueMF Dec 22nd 2009 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by lisamct (Post 8192088)
Hi Sue (and everyone else :) )

We're looking at Hawkes Bay at the moment as our most likely destination. It's good to hear from someone who's been through it all recently. How are you finding it so far? I already know a few NZ midwives so have an idea of how the system works but it's always good to have some extra insider info!

I work in an small community unit. I found it very difficult at first as everything seemed completely different. eg iv pethidine, doing unnecessary observations on babies who are perfectly healthy. Putting up IVs on women who just don't need them. I also felt like a third class citizen as working as a core midwife you have to clear up after the LMCs. But putting that aside, the other midwives are really friendly and I now have more friends here than I ever did in the uk. There is always the option of becoming an LMC yourself if you wish at a later date.
We are back in England at the moment as we could not sell our house but we are going back in May. (We live in Fleet, Hampshire)They are holding my job until I return.

Dewb09 Dec 29th 2009 10:13 am

Hi & good luck with all your plans

DEwb