British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Just starting the ball rolling.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/just-starting-ball-rolling-421100/)

Danemad Jan 23rd 2007 4:40 pm

Just starting the ball rolling..

Hi all. Myself and DP are originally from Essex and have been thinking about another move recently and have decided to try for NZ. We are currently in Spain and have been for 3 yrs but it is not for us.

I have some questions... hope you can all help, those of you who have "been there, done that", if you don´t mind.

For one, we will be taking my DD. I am divorced (very amicably) and her dad will possibly be making his own application to NZ if we get in. He is also in Spain (so that DD could be near us both).

Has anyone else who is divorced moved out with a child from their previous marriage as it seems a requirement is a court document to prove you can take them out of the country and we have never needed such a thing for parental responsibility and so on because we share custody. Basically DD goes back and forth to both homes as she wishes because we live close by, always have done since we separated, for her sake. Does anyone have any idea on this subject?

Secondly, and this one seems to be a catch 22 situation.. although the ISNZ assured me (following completion of their on-line form) that my DP has the necessary qualifications and experience (in a long term shortage skill) to virtually guarantee us entrance, no problem.

However, I have roughly completed the EOI and am under the 100 points needed so I am obviously doing something wrong. How have some of you managed to secure a job offer before going out (not job relocations obviously) and therefore before submitting your EOI.. surely no employer will even interview you if you are 6 months away from being able to take up the position, yet I realise a job offer significantly increases the chances of being accepted.

Thanks for any help you can offer me and I look forward to reading up on other newbies´ experiences and progress as we take our first steps in this new adventure.

Jude J Jan 24th 2007 1:22 am

Re: Just starting the ball rolling..

Hello :)
I cant help about the EOI as it was different when I came 4 years ago, but I did bring my 2 children from my first marriage. It was a very different situation to yours, my ex didn't see his children very much even though he was only a few hours away. I had to get them their own passports as before they were on mine. I needed his passport to do this, and I needed a letter signed by him witnessed by a solicitor giving me permission to take them out the country for an unlimited time.
When we got divorced we didn't have a formal/legal arrangement regarding custody, they were always going to live with me, and he was able to see them whenever he wanted, so I guess that's the same as shared custody.
It just turned out that he didn't actually want to see them much!

It did cross my mind that he would try and stop it if he thought he could, and I was prepared to get a solicitor myself and fight it on the grounds that he didn't see them anyway, but he agreed to do it.
We applied for residency once we were here and I gave the letter to the NZIS and it all went through fine.

Danemad Jan 24th 2007 5:43 pm

Thanks, I have confirmed that with ISNZ and all that is required, as you say, is a letter, signed by both of us and by a solicitor. That seems to be the easiest step out of all of them so far. It all seems so complicated and drawn out. I guess at least it weeds out the faint-hearted!

P2L Jan 24th 2007 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Danemad (Post 4321099)
Thanks, I have confirmed that with ISNZ and all that is required, as you say, is a letter, signed by both of us and by a solicitor. That seems to be the easiest step out of all of them so far. It all seems so complicated and drawn out. I guess at least it weeds out the faint-hearted!

Hate to disappoint you, but think you need a court order giving you permission to remove your daughter from UK jurisdiction. I have just had to do something similar with my eldest child. Suggest you contact a solicitor that specializes in family law A.S.A.P. It can be a lengthy and very costly process

Jude J Jan 24th 2007 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4321863)
Hate to disappoint you, but think you need a court order giving you permission to remove your daughter from UK jurisdiction. I have just had to do something similar with my eldest child. Suggest you contact a solicitor that specializes in family law A.S.A.P. It can be a lengthy and very costly process

Really? Maybe something has changed then, because I didn't have to do that, just needed a letter from their dad giving his permission.

P2L Jan 25th 2007 12:16 pm

Had a look on NZIS

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzis/...anual/5044.htm

When I emailed NZIS before submitting EOI, I was advised that the information accepted was at the discretion of our Case Officer

Danemad Jan 31st 2007 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Jude J (Post 4322474)
Really? Maybe something has changed then, because I didn't have to do that, just needed a letter from their dad giving his permission.

You are right... I phoned Immigration at the NZ embassy and she said a solicitor letter is needed with both our sigs... that´s all. Phew!