Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just started - Looking for tips on best areas in Auckland to live, etc.

Just started - Looking for tips on best areas in Auckland to live, etc.

Old May 11th 2010, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

CalRach123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Just started - Looking for tips on best areas in Auckland to live, etc.

Hello - we have just registered and thought we would get started.
We are a couple , with 2 small children, currently living in North Wales and are planning to move out to New Zealand in Octoberish. We want to move to Auckland area, to try and get work etc. We have permanent residency and need to get the ball rolling on sorting out job, living location and all the other little bits that need to be sorted as this becomes real. If anyone can give us any tips on areas to live and employment advice for the IT industry it would be appreciated. Also anyone heading out around the same timescales, any tips would be great.

Thanks Cathal and Rach
Old May 12th 2010, 12:47 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just started

Hi Cathal and Rach,

Welcome to BE. We've got lots of members who live or are moving to New Zealand who are great at sharing experiences and tips. I'm sure you will enjoy getting to know them all. I am going to move your post to the NZ forum for you.

Please enjoy using the site, and don't hesitate to give me or any of the moderators a shout if you have any questions about how to use any of BE's bits and bobs.
Old May 12th 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

The harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really niceThe harrisons is just really nice
Default Re: Just started - Looking for tips on best areas in Auckland to live, etc.

Hi Cathal and Rach,

Welcome!

We were originally from North Wales and moved here in Oct 2009.
We are currently living in Flatbush, South Auckland. My husband had a job offer in a local Hospital prior to our arrival having left the Army previously.
We have 3 children, one living in the UK completing his University degree and two living with us. Our middle son has just started at Auckland University and my daughter is in year 9 at a local school.
If I can be of any assistance to you, please let me know. You could leave a PM for me and I will get back to you. Take care and look forward to hearing from you.
Old May 12th 2010, 6:23 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just started - Looking for tips on best areas in Auckland to live, etc.

Hi Guys,

I grew up in North Wales. My parents are still there. We are moving out in September, probably to Wellington. I also work in IT, so I'm as interested to hear any feedback on that question as you are.

As for tips, none yet! Maybe not to tell your employers that you're leaving just before they make people redundant. If you do and they're like my employers, then they won't select you for a payoff

WP
Old May 13th 2010, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666750
Old May 13th 2010, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The harrisons
Hi Cathal and Rach,

Welcome!

We were originally from North Wales and moved here in Oct 2009.
We are currently living in Flatbush, South Auckland. My husband had a job offer in a local Hospital prior to our arrival having left the Army previously.
We have 3 children, one living in the UK completing his University degree and two living with us. Our middle son has just started at Auckland University and my daughter is in year 9 at a local school.
If I can be of any assistance to you, please let me know. You could leave a PM for me and I will get back to you. Take care and look forward to hearing from you.
Hello Harrisons - thanks for getting back to us. There are so many questions which we will need to get answers to both before we go and when we first arrive. I need to do some digging on the existing threads, which will probably answer a lot of the questions. Once I get a grip of what we need to know, expect a message from us. I think I can feel a long list coming on!
Old May 13th 2010, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
Hi Guys,

I grew up in North Wales. My parents are still there. We are moving out in September, probably to Wellington. I also work in IT, so I'm as interested to hear any feedback on that question as you are.

As for tips, none yet! Maybe not to tell your employers that you're leaving just before they make people redundant. If you do and they're like my employers, then they won't select you for a payoff

WP
Hello WP. Have you done any homework on the IT employment market yet? What branch of IT are you in?

At present I am trying to run a version of my CV by a few agencies in NZ to see if it is the right format and what the market is like on the whole?

On the current employers front - I feel your pain on the redundancy issue. I have put in for this at the moment, so am keeping everthing under wraps until I get a response.

If I get any further info in the IT Market I will let you know.
Old May 13th 2010, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Hello LukeandJo. When are you planning to move out etc?
Old May 14th 2010, 1:25 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalRach123
Hello WP. Have you done any homework on the IT employment market yet? What branch of IT are you in?

At present I am trying to run a version of my CV by a few agencies in NZ to see if it is the right format and what the market is like on the whole?

On the current employers front - I feel your pain on the redundancy issue. I have put in for this at the moment, so am keeping everthing under wraps until I get a response.

If I get any further info in the IT Market I will let you know.
I registered with a couple of agencies. I've found that they blow hot and cold, so I've found it hard to guage the real job market. I've come to the conclusion that they're basically not interested unless you can drop everything and attend an interview at short notice. I guess the agencies just work on a short term basis. Quick turnaround = Bigger profit.

I've seen quite a few vacancies on seek and trademe. My "problem", if you want to call it that, is that I have a shedload of experience on what the kiwis call "real-time" platforms, Java/Unix, SCADA and telecoms - demand for these skills seems to be patchy. I know little about .NET, C#, MySQL, IIS etc. which seems to be in demand. At the detailed level that I normally work, the development tends to get outsourced, I've been clinging on to hands-on work for a few years. Also, all my knowledge is 'on-the-job', I have no current certification that would be useful for "office IT" type vacancies, because I could never afford to get them privately and my employers didn't care as long as I could do the work - and hey I've been working for 23 years in two jobs - I never had to worry about it before!

I've had my CV considered by two companies, but I don't think I'm presenting myself to the best advantage yet. I need to find out what they want, rather than what I've got!!

Am I whinging? No not really. I am where I am, and to be honest, I'm not looking very hard yet, I'd prefer to wait till I get there.

WP