Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just seen the sweetest thing...

Just seen the sweetest thing...

Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:15 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just seen the sweetest thing...

a mommy hedgehog and 6 diddy baby hedgehogs. I could hear what I thought was chirping and was anxiously looking for an injured bird. And there they were, off on their first outing, rummaging through the leaves and clambering over twigs.

they are just the cutest sweetest dear little things!!! wish i had a camera so I could share with you what I saw.

i feel all warm and fuzzy now.

its good to be alive!
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:16 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just seen the sweetest thing...

Originally Posted by dreamfish
a mommy hedgehog and 6 diddy baby hedgehogs. I could hear what I thought was chirping and was anxiously looking for an injured bird. And there they were, off on their first outing, rummaging through the leaves and clambering over twigs.

they are just the cutest sweetest dear little things!!! wish i had a camera so I could share with you what I saw.

its good to be alive!
Put a saucer of milk out for them! My parents had hedgehogs galore in their garden, they slurp really loudly when you put a saucer of milk out for them. Uh, that would be the hedgehogs, not my parents.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Awwww bless!!

Somebody bought a tiny puppy into Kindy this morning when they dropped off their child... a kinda terrier cross black cutie, she was so gorgeous... another warm and fuzzy moment when my 1 year old fell in love with it, shes so good with animals.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:27 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
Put a saucer of milk out for them! My parents had hedgehogs galore in their garden, they slurp really loudly when you put a saucer of milk out for them. Uh, that would be the hedgehogs, not my parents.
Do NOT give me, this will give them diarrhea and kill them. Kerry has been doing her homework on this as we have a pet hedgehog here (well she thinks its a pet, not I as it was found in our rubbish bag). Best to give them raisins, cat food or dog food (wet or dry) not IAMS though or fishy ones.

Must have been cute to see the little ones, we saw a porcupine at the zoo, about the size of a fox terrier.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:36 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Do NOT give me, this will give them diarrhea and kill them. Kerry has been doing her homework on this as we have a pet hedgehog here (well she thinks its a pet, not I as it was found in our rubbish bag). Best to give them raisins, cat food or dog food (wet or dry) not IAMS though or fishy ones.

Must have been cute to see the little ones, we saw a porcupine at the zoo, about the size of a fox terrier.
yes i heard that too - not to give milk and bread.
cat food is better (or dog food as you say ted).

oh these babies were tiny - about the size of a newborn puppy.
i didnt realise hedgehogs made any sound till i heard the mom calling to her babies (or hoglets?!)
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:04 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Ah bless.......

The only encounter I have had with one here left me chirping as I stumbled into one in the dark whilst tottering barefoot past our bins on a starry night in Spring......yowch......was really suprised at how big it was........ It went off down the garden though and came off the best from the incident
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:12 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan

I did not know that about milk. Apparently neither did my parents. It never hurt any of our nocturnal visitors, we had generations of 'em under the holly hedge!

But thank you for that advice.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:18 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

We used to sit on the deck at night and listen to them tucking into the garden snails .

I think they have them over here too but they probably have venomous fangs and hunt down small dogs.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dreamfish

its good to be alive!
hi,there was a hedghog sanctuary in the next village to us back in scotland,the man used to come and give talks to the kids at school and nursery about what to feed hedghogs,and what to do if you found one out and about in daylight..aparantly you should feed them cat food,but only chicken flavoured cat food...and water..he said not to give them anything else...

never seen any baby ones though,must be really cute..jacky
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We have the twilight hedgehog run in our garden & the next door paddock. Baby hedgehogs are so sweet. They all snuffle and grumble whilst they root around for something tasty to the hedgehog palate. Husband the softy often leaves them a little bit of cat food

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 25th 2012 at 3:21 am.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Blimey, didnt realise hedgehogs were here too. Thats some serious digging
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:21 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
I think they have them over here too but they probably have venomous fangs and hunt down small dogs.

Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:49 am
Banned

banrock station is a name known to allbanrock station is a name known to allbanrock station is a name known to allbanrock station is a name known to allbanrock station is a name known to allbanrock station is a name known to allbanrock station is a name known to allbanrock station is a name known to allbanrock station is a name known to allbanrock station is a name known to allbanrock station is a name known to all

saw one the other day looking for his FLAT MATE
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:53 am
Maz

Originally Posted by banrock station
saw one the other day looking for his FLAT MATE
()
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:59 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Ever since our nearest neighbour started shooting any cat he saw (good on yer mate!) we've had a huge increase in birds round here. Every now and again just before dusk we're visited by 2 families of quail. A couple of months ago the chicks were weeny and easily startled but now there bigger (surprise) and a little less flightly. There are about 20 birds in total that patrol together and a wonderful sight it is too.

The other day our cat shooting neighbour was chatting to us on the beach where we were walking the dogs and said he'd seen a megapod of dolphins swimming past (a megapod is about a hundred - or too many to count!) towards Kapiti Island. He'd been watching them from hius patio. Did he think to phone us? Grrrrrrrrrr.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.