It is just me?

Old Jul 25th 2013, 11:18 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default It is just me?

Hi. Im quite new to this forum. Thank god I found it. Dont want to go in too deep with the psychology stuff but I am wondering if I am going crazy. I am really struggling with the quality of life aspect of living in NZ. I have been getting out and about this last 6 weeks to try to make friends. I have made a couple of friends but I am struggling with some of the conversations we are having. Im sure they dont know how to understand my views. I cant accept that when both partners are working you cant afford a visit to the doctors if poorly. My hubby and I are both working and cant afford to see a doctor. My child has priority. My new friends accept this as they try not to see a doctor at all. Im having trouble accepting that people buy most of their clothing second hand due to the high costs of clothes. Now I have hit hard times in the UK and I have shopped in charity shops (nothing at all wrong with that), but that was when my hubby took an adult apprenticeship and I fell pregnant and had to leave work! We still ate well and our bills were paid. Here I have to make choices with our food based on price alone. Am I being silly or overreacting? I dont want a flashy car or huge house, I just want to live comfortably. We both work hard and we cant live comfortably.

I know we are returning to the UK after christmas but I wondered if anyone else had these issues or is it me just being OCD!!

Any feed back would be appreciated. Please be kind as I am homesick today!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:48 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It is just me?

As you say you are returning to the UK after Christmas I would say don't waste any time on it. try and enjoy your last few months and take lots of photo's for your kids to look back on in the future.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of people will relate, but its all about choices.

I can't really comment too much as my partner and myself are in skilled jobs and thus bring home a good pay packet. However, as discussed elsewhere... buying a house in Auckland is more of a dream than ever becoming a reality (unless there is a huge crash in house prices - fingers crossed).

Its a different life here. We live very cheaply, so we don't ever go clothes shopping. In the 2 years I've been here, I've bought 2 pairs of jeans, 2 t-shirts and 1 jumper - all because they were in the sale at the time. When we went back to the UK in September 2012, I deliberately spent about 500 quid on clothes, shoes and things like that (good old sports direct!). I was able to buy a huge amount for that, this in theory will last me for the next 2-3 years (or more) and by that time I'll either be living back in the UK OR would have gone home on another trip.

With regards to the doctors.. I disagree, I don't think it is that expensive. Its about priorities, if someone drives a gas guzzler, or has fast broadband, or has sky tv, owns a boat or jetski, or eats out or drinks regularly - they can afford to pay to see the doctor. I accept in some cases, those who are genuinely hard up will struggle.

We live cheaply though, we live in a cheaper area on the shore, we have 1 car between us - a 1.4 Vauxhall Corsa (Holden Barina) to the rest of us, eat out or get take-away about once every 6 weeks, have 2-3 beers no more than once a month at the pub. What I love about NZ is that there are lots of things you can do for free (except for the cost of petrol) i.e. go to the beach, go cycling, go for a walk, swim in the sea - its things like that which are awesome here. Overall though we do generally do a lot less here and spend more time at our own place (or work) than we did in the UK.

Quality of life? I have a lot less holiday here, so definitely agree I'm worse off in that regard. I do find though that after a day at work I am not exhausted and have energy for other things, which is the complete opposite to the UK - even though I work longer hours here.

As for friends... I've made very few. In fact - there are 2 people that I would say have become my friends in over 2 years of living here. I work in IT - so most people don't want to make friends. I see one of them maybe once a month and the other probably once a fortnight. I spend a lot of time at work or with my partner or on my own, but I'm comfortable with that.

My Mrs - who's a nurse, has made loads of friends, but they are mainly English nurses in the same boat.

Anyway - hope that gives another perspective - understand your situation and really do think you've made the right call Good luck.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:14 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your feedback. I know it comes down to earnings as to quality of life. We're at the lower scale. I'm happy with my decision to go home. NZ is not for everyone and I can only give you all my greatest respect for living here. We are enjoying the walks and beaches as they are beautiful. Xx
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:20 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you're having a horrible homesick day today. Mrs Fychan says you're going home after Christmas. That's just over 20 weeks away, right ? It's none of my business but have you booked your ticket home yet ?

We booked our tickets to come to NZ one way in May 2010, so we could arrive in February 2011. That doesn't mean anything, it's just the way we did it.

Conversation with a New Zealander ? Oh don't bother ! Social chit chat is enough for me. You know what ? I don't even want to know what they think.

Doctor's bills ? Um I've got a reminder here for forty nine dollars. I requested a repeat prescription twice. Cost $22 x 2 + $5 chase up = 49.00. I thought I had paid that when I collected the prescription from the chemist. So, I'll go to the Dr's surgery for confirmation (and probably pay what I owe !)

I've had physiotherapy on my foot, I wasn't entitled to claim ACC. Um, I don't know anyone who won't go to the Dr. because of cost.

My huband's sister has expensive Doctor's bills because she lives on the North Shore of Auckland. Fifty bucks a pop at the last count. Even she says the attitude seems to be, 'live on the north shore do you ? Open your purse, I know you've got it.'
Clothes buying ? Um, still buy second hand clothes and new clothes in the sale just like I did in Britain. I got two pairs of jeans for twenty five bucks each in the Farmers sale. I've had other things too when other shops have been having their sales.

Maybe I just don't want much ! That's no dig at the OP or anyone else.

I had an order delivered yesterday from Bramptins for Cocoa powder, custard powder, Paxo stuffing and one sachet of instant custard. Tetley teabags on back order. The whole thing including courier charge was $97. I remember, back home, when these things were just called, 'groceries.'

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 26th 2013 at 1:25 am.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Um, I don't know anyone who won't go to the Dr. because of cost.'
Spend a day in ED with my OH it's full of 'em
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot

My huband's sister has expensive Doctor's bills because she lives on the North Shore of Auckland. Fifty bucks a pop at the last count. Even she says the attitude seems to be, 'live on the north shore do you ? Open your purse, I know you've got it.'
I live on the Shore, visits to my GP cost $16...cheapest I've found in Auckland so far.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisamct
I live on the Shore, visits to my GP cost $16...cheapest I've found in Auckland so far.
WOW! I paid $40 yesterday for an appointment!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
WOW! I paid $40 yesterday for an appointment!
Yep, I was there just last week, appt with GP, appt with nurse straight after and a repeat script, all for $16.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I know we are returning to the UK after christmas but I wondered if anyone else had these issues or is it me just being OCD!!

Any feed back would be appreciated. Please be kind as I am homesick today!
Hi pippalonghorn.....sorry to hear you are so homesick.......its horrid...

All I can say is thank your lucky stars that you have going home to look forward to................Wish I did

Make a plan of all the wonderful things you are going to do when you get home!!!
Old Jul 27th 2013, 6:55 am
Just Joined

bassking is a jewel in the roughbassking is a jewel in the roughbassking is a jewel in the roughbassking is a jewel in the rough

I was back in the UK last week, an appointment at the GP for my mother was a 1 week wait! I'd rather front the cost and see the doc same day if I needed it...
Old Jul 27th 2013, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bassking
I was back in the UK last week, an appointment at the GP for my mother was a 1 week wait! I'd rather front the cost and see the doc same day if I needed it...
I had to wait several days to see a doc here and still had to pay $35 for the pleasure! Not enough gps to cope with a growing rural town....
Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:45 pm
Looking for my marbles.

Thanks pixie wink. You've made me chuckle today! It's nice to speak to people who understand where you're coming from. Xx