Salary question

Old Aug 9th 2018, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

mikenotts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Salary question

Hello

Just been approached about a job for a global company based in Auckland, middle management. Was asked my salary expectations and I don't have a clue (was initially aiming for a move from UK to Oz, but after a couple of unsuccessful interviews branched out to NZ)

Could anyone give me a clue at what would be the going-rate in these circumstances (34 yr old, 12 years of experience in marketing/comms, uni educated) and what would afford me to live comfortably in Auckland, own small flat in young part of town.

Thanks very much

Mike
Old Aug 10th 2018, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary question

Originally Posted by mikenotts
Hello

Just been approached about a job for a global company based in Auckland, middle management. Was asked my salary expectations and I don't have a clue (was initially aiming for a move from UK to Oz, but after a couple of unsuccessful interviews branched out to NZ)

Could anyone give me a clue at what would be the going-rate in these circumstances (34 yr old, 12 years of experience in marketing/comms, uni educated) and what would afford me to live comfortably in Auckland, own small flat in young part of town.

Thanks very much

Mike
Marketing manager (if that's what you are?) between $80k and $180k per annum. Salary dependent on age, experience, essential NZ experience regardless of whether it matters or not and qualifications.
If it is just you then I'm sure you could afford to live on $80k a year. Can't promise you'll be able to buy a place and afford to live in it unless you have money to bring with you.
Probably need another $30k for another adult and for a family 2 adults/2 kids rock bottom I'd say around $120/$130k to comfortably live in Auckland as a family.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikenotts
Tough question that depends on a whole range of factors. I suggest taking a look at www.seek.co.nz and finding comparable jobs. There is also a number of annual surveys, I've attached one that I found that covers NZ and Australia (page 113 for Auckland Marketing salaries)
Attached Files
Old Aug 10th 2018, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I would ask for at least 2.5 to 3 times whatever you earn now and if that doesn't get you to anywhere near $100k then I would recommend that you take a long hard look at cost of living threads on here and you'll have to think about where you can afford to live.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Ask for 3 times your current salary. Min 100k if on your own. Ideally 120 and get some health insurance if you can...
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Based on our Prime Minister's salary i think we really should be raising our salary expectations to > 3 times

Teresa May NZ$289,369 (£150,402) v Jacinda Ardern $459,739 - if I were Teresa May I would be well pissed off and demanding a pay rise relative to job-size.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...aries-stack-up
Old Aug 27th 2018, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

They are all underpaid compared to the Singaporean PM
Old Sep 9th 2018, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

As a guide, based on my own experience in Marketing management role in Auckland - work out your UK salary in NZ dollars and add around 25% to account for the increased living costs