British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Just got back from Wellington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/just-got-back-wellington-646615/)

Justcol Dec 30th 2009 9:32 am

Just got back from Wellington

We managed to get away for a few days between xmas and new year
so we decided to shoot down to Wellington to visit some friends.
I didnt know what to expect apart from it being pretty windy i didnt know a lot about the place.
Now after a few days down there all i can say is Wow what a fantastic place.
The city is so vibrant, cosmopolitan and bohemian it knocks spots of Hamilton and from what we saw
its also got a lot more to offer than Auckland.
Theres something to see around every corner, the water front is much nicer than Aucklands
and the choice of cafe's, bars, restaurants and especially shops is fantastic.
so if anyones still dithering about where to settle i would say definitely give
wellington some serious thought, i know i am now ;)

Dewb09 Dec 30th 2009 9:41 am

Re: Just got back from Wellington

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8205640)
I didnt know what to expect apart from it being pretty windy i didnt know a lot about the place.
The city is so vibrant, cosmopolitan and bohemian it knocks spots of Hamilton and from what we saw
Theres something to see around every corner, the water front is much nicer than Aucklands

Mmmm thanks for that. We both really wanted to go to Tauranga but on the work front its looking more like Welly or Auckland. From a geographical point of view Welly would make more sense so we are looking at the Kapiti coast area (did you manage to get there?). I have been to Welly few year back & did like it but just loved Tauranga more.

Dewb

pricklykina Dec 30th 2009 9:58 am

I really like Welly but you know, Auckland has a lot going for it. I figure that if you think that you hate Auckland...go to a different area and see the view from there

cappuccino Dec 30th 2009 10:31 am

Don't tell everyone! Seriously though, glad you had a good time and enjoyed your visit to our wonderful capital city.

The only thing I don't like about Wellington is the unpredictable weather but other than that, I love it here. It's got a vibe that I haven't felt in any other city anywhere.

MnB Dec 30th 2009 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 8205756)
Don't tell everyone! Seriously though, glad you had a good time and enjoyed your visit to our wonderful capital city.

The only thing I don't like about Wellington is the unpredictable weather but other than that, I love it here. It's got a vibe that I haven't felt in any other city anywhere.

:thumbsup: totally agree with you Cappuccino!...love Welly, and if it wasn't for the weather would probably be looking to settle there.

MOSO Dec 30th 2009 5:15 pm

We're on the Kapiti coast - 45 mins into Wellington (less when the train improvements are finished next year) and have much more reliable weather, close to fab beaches and great schools. We too love Wellington:thumbsup:.

Not sure about whether the express way they're planning on building is a good thing or not - it will ease traffic and make it even quicker to get into Wellington but it will go right through the middle of the town.

Justcol Dec 30th 2009 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by pricklykina (Post 8205693)
I figure that if you think that you hate Auckland...go to a different area and see the view from there

I dont hate auckland, i quite like it

crap coffee Dec 31st 2009 1:37 am

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8205964)
..love Welly, and if it wasn't for the weather would probably be looking to settle there.

What I like about Wellington is convenience, No long queues (most public places), No Crowds, decent shopping, specialty coffee roasters, good quality restaurants & bars and good jobs.

What I don't like about Wellingon is the earthquakes, severe wind gusts, freezing for 8 months and damp (not easy to find a nice and SUNNY house - that's why my parents moved to Auckland)

Justcol Dec 31st 2009 3:17 am

I suppose only being there as a tourist gives me a different view of things.
Still a great place to visit though

zoglet Dec 31st 2009 4:15 am

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 8206654)
We're on the Kapiti coast - 45 mins into Wellington (less when the train improvements are finished next year) and have much more reliable weather, close to fab beaches and great schools. We too love Wellington:thumbsup:.

Not sure about whether the express way they're planning on building is a good thing or not - it will ease traffic and make it even quicker to get into Wellington but it will go right through the middle of the town.

" More reliable weather"???????? ;)

crap coffee Dec 31st 2009 4:44 am

Originally Posted by zoglet (Post 8207796)

yeah . sort of. :rofl:

MOSO Dec 31st 2009 5:32 am

Gosh you have to be precise with your wording in this thread.....

how about 'the weather generally is better on the Kapiti coast than in Wellington?:thumbsup:

simonmarkellis Dec 31st 2009 6:06 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8205640)

Now you've let the secret out of the bag!!!

Dewb09 Dec 31st 2009 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by zoglet (Post 8207796)

Where abouts are you? any recomendations for towns etc? A good primary school would be a must and near a lovely beach a really nice bonus!

Thanks Dewb

MOSO Jan 1st 2010 6:50 am

3 Attachment(s)
We're in Waikanae, which is a small town 5 mins drive north of Paraparaumu which is the main town on the Kapiti Coast. We're 45 mins drive north of Wellington. There is currently one 1 train per day into Wellington but there are coaches. They are electrifying the line at the moment so the train service will dramatically improve next year.

Waikanae has a small town centre with enough for everyday needs - 2 supermarkets, butchers, bakers, banks, doctors, cafes, restaurants and even a small cinema. I love it as even on Christmas Eve I could drive to Woolworths, park, get the shopping and be out in less than the 40 mins it took my Mum to park in Sainsburys car park on the same day! Nearby Paraparaumu has a much larger shopping centre (a mini-lakeside:rofl:!) with a cinema, bowling alley, parks etc (and beach of course!)

My kids go to Kapanui school (www.kapanui.school.nz). It's a large school 500+ pupils from age 5 - 13. They have a deliberate policy of mixing up the classes with a buddy system and the kids are very happy. There are a splattering of Brits as well. My daughter was one of 3 last year in her class.

In the next road to the school is a fab playground, skate park and heated outdoor swimming pool with a hydroslide and toddler pool. It is the real meeting place for all the local kids. The beach is also a big hit with them. There are 2 estuaries/rivers which provide great biking/walking tracks and the beach itself goes for miles. It's not golden sand and the kids have worn their wetsuits in the sea to surf but there's miles upon miles of empty sand as well as a section with a kiddie playground, shops and 2 cafes.

There are 2 secondary schools - one in Paraparaumu and one in Raumati both with good reputations.

When we arrived we checked out 4 local schools in Waikanae, Paraparaumu and Raumati Beach and then decided which area to go for. Some people may find Waikanae a bit quiet and there is a large elderly population but there is very little traffic and the kids cycle everywhere safely.

If you need any more info please PM me. I've attached a couple of photos, one of the Friday afternoon Jump Jam whole school keep fit in the playground and a couple of the beach to give you an idea.