Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

just going for it ..tourist visa!

just going for it ..tourist visa!

Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:12 pm
Taupo, NZ, soon...?!?

taupo adventurers will become famous soon enoughtaupo adventurers will become famous soon enough
Default just going for it ..tourist visa!

hi there need a chat planning to just take off next month kids in tow one 7 and one 15 hubby going to stay and get loose ends tied up here and i get schooling etc sorted over there at the same time as getting a job to secure residency !anyone else done this ?
jennifer
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:47 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: just going for it ..tourist visa!

Cool as how you are going for it. However, do be aware that until you have a work permit or residence permit you'll most likely have to pay international school fees for your kids' schooling.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:59 pm
Taupo, NZ, soon...?!?

taupo adventurers will become famous soon enoughtaupo adventurers will become famous soon enough

yes i gathered that and that did worry me so was just discussing making use of the school holidays at the moment as my daughter would have been doing standard grades this year in scotland ...crossing my fingers my perfect job awaits me jennifer
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taupo adventurers
hi there need a chat planning to just take off next month kids in tow one 7 and one 15 hubby going to stay and get loose ends tied up here and i get schooling etc sorted over there at the same time as getting a job to secure residency !anyone else done this ?
jennifer
This is what we are doing. Me, My Wife and our 8 yr old son have sold up, just waiting for the contracts to exchange and then we fly out about mid August. We planning on Wellington. It's a bonus that our son will have finished his school year here, so we are not too concerned about getting him straight back into schooling over there. I do hope to have a job offer within a month of landing so he doesn't get to out of practice. Where are you planning on going? There are lots of people who are doing the same on this forum Maz for one and others who have done it like SpaceCake. You'll find lots of help on this site and your more than welcome to PM anytime if you have any questions relating to going over on a visitors visa like us or anything else for that matter.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:08 pm
Taupo, NZ, soon...?!?

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
This is what we are doing. Me, My Wife and our 8 yr old son have sold up, just waiting for the contracts to exchange and then we fly out about mid August. We planning on Wellington. It's a bonus that our son will have finished his school year here, so we are not too concerned about getting him straight back into schooling over there. I do hope to have a job offer within a month of landing so he doesn't get to out of practice. Where are you planning on going? There are lots of people who are doing the same on this forum Maz for one and others who have done it like SpaceCake. You'll find lots of help on this site and your more than welcome to PM anytime if you have any questions relating to going over on a visitors visa like us or anything else for that matter.
were going to Taupo, hubby and daughters are snowboarders you see! my eldest daughter is in Auckland at the moment nannying. were just in the middle of looking at flights to get us over there in the summer holidays, just need to know what sort of paper work to take with me, did u do police check, work references, etc.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

were going to Taupo, hubby and daughters are snowboarders you see! my eldest daughter is in Auckland at the moment nannying. were just in the middle of looking at flights to get us over there in the summer holidays, just need to know what sort of paper work to take with me, did u do police check, work references, etc.
Yep, got the Police Checks, they take about 40 days for turn around and i think they last 6 months, maybe longer. I'll get the medicals done whilst i'm in NZ as aparently they are cheaper and done quicker. Everything else i'll take with me that i hope i'll need.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:54 pm
Taupo, NZ, soon...?!?

oh well its too late for that now so I will just get it posted off to me If i wait the summer holidays will be over !?!I shall certainly pass for a tourist at the airport thats for sure!
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

oh well its too late for that now so I will just get it posted off to me If i wait the summer holidays will be over !?!I shall certainly pass for a tourist at the airport thats for sure!
Best of luck to you...
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Yes, we did it like that too. That was almost 5 years ago. My children then were 15 and 13. We didn't bring anything with us just what we could fit in our suitcase. We didn't even have anywhere lined up to live! It all worked out fine. We applied for all the police checks from here and had our medicals done here.
We paid school fees for our daughter who was in an intermediate school but the college our son went to didn't charge, not sure why!
We were quite surprised at how much you can do on a visitor visa, for example, we were approved for 5 grand interest free credit at a furniture shop! All we took was a letter that my husband wrote himself guaranteeing his salary.
They may have tightened the rules since then!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:17 am
Taupo, NZ, soon...?!?

Originally Posted by Jude J
Yes, we did it like that too. That was almost 5 years ago. My children then were 15 and 13. We didn't bring anything with us just what we could fit in our suitcase. We didn't even have anywhere lined up to live! It all worked out fine. We applied for all the police checks from here and had our medicals done here.
We paid school fees for our daughter who was in an intermediate school but the college our son went to didn't charge, not sure why!
We were quite surprised at how much you can do on a visitor visa, for example, we were approved for 5 grand interest free credit at a furniture shop! All we took was a letter that my husband wrote himself guaranteeing his salary.
They may have tightened the rules since then!
thats fantastic !would you ever come back?did you sell all your goods too?We will be there in 6 weeks anyway trying very hard not to count my chickens !
Old Aug 20th 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just found out that if you fly into NZ on a Visitors Visa and have outward bound tickets via Australia, you need an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) in order to enter Aus. This can be obtained via http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/index.html
It costs $20Aus per application and is approved in seconds. Just had mine approved. You have to get it before you enter the country as well.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:23 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Ears pricked up

Welcome to the neighbourhood Lived in Taupo for a while my Daughter was born in Taupo Hospital and I was part of the Taupo Civil Defence Rescue Unit. Still live near Taupo but more closer to the Volcanoes, work and play up and around Mt Ruapehu

Ski season ends late October but may continue snow permitting into late November on the south side. Tramping season starts roughly same time along with all other Summer Activities.
90 minute drive to Whakapapa ski Area from Taupo, 2 1/2 to the southside and Turoa, longer if any slower cars on the road
Old Aug 20th 2007, 10:02 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Ears pricked up

Welcome to the neighbourhood Lived in Taupo for a while my Daughter was born in Taupo Hospital and I was part of the Taupo Civil Defence Rescue Unit. Still live near Taupo but more closer to the Volcanoes, work and play up and around Mt Ruapehu

Ski season ends late October but may continue snow permitting into late November on the south side. Tramping season starts roughly same time along with all other Summer Activities.
90 minute drive to Whakapapa ski Area from Taupo, 2 1/2 to the southside and Turoa, longer if any slower cars on the road
We kind of did it that way. But sent off all details in UK and then just headed out here hoping for the best. Sold almost everything and booked flights for our cats for 2 months later. Bit dodgy with customs (had small shipment of belongings) as your not meant to ship goods in on tourist visa but got away with it. Found it much easier to sort out employment being in NZ and by the time immigration contacted us about our application I had 2 firm job offers. In our situation it was definately the right decision to fly out before we got visa.
Had home sorted by the time our weary cats arrived and havn't looked back (nearly 2 years now)