Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just Booked Our Flights To Auckland AARGH!

Just Booked Our Flights To Auckland AARGH!

Old Jun 16th 2012, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Maria16b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just Booked Our Flights To Auckland AARGH!

Hi there,

We have been lurking on here for a number of weeks now waiting for that great moment when we can finally post about our move. We are Chris and Maria Currell from Maidenhead with our 2 children CHarlotte (2y 5m) and James (8m). We are leaing the UK on the 7th July and coming to New Zealand....... yeah! Chris has a job but I will be a stay at home mum although I am a qualified Pilates instructor now (previously worked in Finance in the city). We are looking for places to rent in the Manukau area (renting our UK home out this end). We are very excited but a little scraed about this move too. We have been to NZ twice (we were married at KareKare 3 1/2 years ago) and love the place.
We are looking for any advice or support out there from people in our position who will be living nearby. Any suggestions on things to do with small children in the area, or tips on how to survive those first few months.

Looking forward to chatting and arriving soon.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Booked Our Flights To Auckland AARGH!

cant help with the things for the kids but the 1st months are generally the hardest.
1) get yourself some heaters from the warehouse, it's bloomin cold here at the moment.
2) get out of the habit of thinking in pounds PDQ and try not to convert the cost of things when your shopping
3) my ex found that classes at the local gym were great places to meet people and make new friends (unfortunately for me they were other men )
4) try and make arrangements on here to meet up with other members in the area
5) the most important thing..when someone invites you over to a party, BBQ, coffee, night out, say yes, even if because of the kids you only
go along for a short time it all helps you settle in and make friends

Good luck
Old Jun 17th 2012, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Maria16b is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh thank you Justcol. We are mostly very excited and your advice is great. Sorry to hear about your ex but hopefully life is grand for you otherwise. See you all soon.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Ricky reef is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are bringing your phones , make sure your provider will unlock them and get confirmation somehow . Good luck on your move .
Old Jun 20th 2012, 4:43 am
Just Joined

hellsbells7070 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Maria!

First of all congratulations! You must be very excited! I remember the feeling very well when my partner and I moved out here 3 and a half years ago.

I found it very difficult for almost 2 years! I was so homesick, well, people sick I suppose but things soon changed when we had our son a year into living here.

I would suggest you google your nearest 'Plunket' group for your 9month old. This is the equivalent to ongoing midwife support in the UK I suppose and it's where I met a lot of my current friends. They not only keep a check on your childrens health and development but also offer play groups and coffee groups for mums/dads with children of the same age in local areas.

Also Auckland Libraries: http://www.aucklandlibraries.govt.nz...eandRhyme.aspx
do a music club for children aged 0-2yrs which is great for meeting new friends.

In South Auckland (so Manakau) there are lots of government funded places like swimming pools which are free to take your kids. I can highly recommend Lloyd Elsmere pool:
http://www.manukauleisure.co.nz/lloy...rk-leisure-cen
They have an indoor toddler pool which is great.

I have a 2.5year old who we have just enrolled in 'soccer4tots'. I'm not sure if there are any classes in Manakau (I'm in central Eastern Auckland) but this is great for learning ball skills anad meeting new people.

On a personal level, I joined a book club when I arrived as a way of meeting new people. I am still very good friends with a few of the girls and we now have our own kind of gossip and wine club rather than reading books!

I wish you all the luck in the world with your move!