Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just Been made Redundent, want to use that as an opportunity but not sure were to go!

Just Been made Redundent, want to use that as an opportunity but not sure were to go!

Old Jul 6th 2009, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Kernowman will become famous soon enough
Question Just Been made Redundent, want to use that as an opportunity but not sure were to go!

I'm 28 years old and have just been made redundant and I'm seriously thinking of moving away from the UK. I have been looking at either New Zealand or the US but I'm not sure where to go.

I will have a few thousand pounds but not loads and I do have some credit card debt.

I have been working for a Printers as a Press Assistant and Guillotine Operator for the last 7 years and I also have a HND in IT.

I want to use being made redundant as an opportunity to do some thing I have always wanted to do.

It's still a bit up in the air at the moment, it's all a bit daunting
Does anyone have any suggestions
Old Jul 6th 2009, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

davidj247 is a jewel in the roughdavidj247 is a jewel in the roughdavidj247 is a jewel in the roughdavidj247 is a jewel in the roughdavidj247 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Just Been made Redundent, want to use that as an opportunity but not sure were to

I'd have a look at this first....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...esh-start.html

Not just UK thats suffering
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Been made Redundent, want to use that as an opportunity but not sure were to

How about Canada eh?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'd not think to long and hard on the US. You need a basis for an immigrant visa and you don't sound as if you have one or the ability to get one.

Originally Posted by Kernowman
I'm 28 years old and have just been made redundant and I'm seriously thinking of moving away from the UK. I have been looking at either New Zealand or the US but I'm not sure where to go.

I will have a few thousand pounds but not loads and I do have some credit card debt.

I have been working for a Printers as a Press Assistant and Guillotine Operator for the last 7 years and I also have a HND in IT.

I want to use being made redundant as an opportunity to do some thing I have always wanted to do.

It's still a bit up in the air at the moment, it's all a bit daunting
Does anyone have any suggestions
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

thanks, the more I look into it the more put off by the US visa system.

Pretty much thinking about doing a work travel in NZ but am unsure of the money needed but going to look into it.

The trade I worked in has just been taken off the Skilled Migrant Category so prob wont get 100 points. The experiance I have is only that, all my training was on the job so don't have any actual qualifications in the Print trade and I haven't worked in IT (the qualifications I do have and trained bloody years for).

Would like to work in the Print tade over there but finding it hard to find good job websites for it.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Without quals in your job and no experiance at what your qualified to do
i think it might not be good news should try for PR in NZ.
Just like the UK things are tightening up over here and TBH many NZ employers
want NZ job experiance from their applicants.
And lots of succesful migrants have to take a few backward steps in their jobs just to get a foot in the door.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'd not think to long and hard on the US. You need a basis for an immigrant visa and you don't sound as if you have one or the ability to get one.
Unless you marry an American like Gerard Depardieu in "Green card"?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

yeah prob right it sucks. I'm thinking of applying for the 1-2 year Working Holiday Schemes.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../whsonline.htm

That was kind of what I was think about when I started looking into it then got bogged down in all the visa stuff. I didn't realise they did that as you can't for America.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

What about a working holiday visa and go from there?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:08 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly my suggestion on the introduction thread. Seems the best plan.

If you have good experience you could perhaps gain even more working in the industry here too.

You are young enough to get the visa - I would suggest going for it.

The only slight thing I noticed - you mentioned credit card debt. If it's a substantial amount it will be difficult to service it in NZ, purely down to what you would loose on any exchange and your earning capacity. Perhaps consider paying a big sum of that first.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:52 am
Banned

jimmy13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would forget about the US unless you know any americans you cna marry!
I would do some research about what skills are in demand from various contries. It is a big commitment to make the move, don't do it lightly!!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:18 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

actually deleting what I just wrote.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 11:07 am
Just Joined

thanks for the advise. Which bit did you mean to delete just so I know.

As for the Credit card, I have about £3000 which I intend on leaving anough money to cover the min payments for a year then see what happens after that.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how much I will cost and cheap places to stay. I have just been incontact with a recruitment agency that deal with the Print industry and there appears to be plenty of work for expienced worker I think.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

sophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant futuresophiedb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kernowman
yeah prob right it sucks. I'm thinking of applying for the 1-2 year Working Holiday Schemes.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../whsonline.htm

That was kind of what I was think about when I started looking into it then got bogged down in all the visa stuff. I didn't realise they did that as you can't for America.

I was about to suggest these. They are a fab way to try out living overseas without the immense hassles faced when over 30

Plus, I managed to marry a Kiwi following both of us using WHVs to wander the globe!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:15 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kernowman - I can't recall what I deleted - I think it was in regards to getting a WHV visa to the US. Then realised that due to your age - and the fact that I think it's only available to Australian or Kiwi students/recent grads that you would probably need to be a citizen before you were eligible.

At which point I realised that by the time that happened you would be too old for it.

BUT, you are also eligible for an Australian WHV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.