Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:35 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

You all did good but I'm flouncing from this thread . I'll be over at the kiwi bar sitting on chairs as is the custom in my culture and, as is also my custom (as of 30 seconds ago), last one to the bar has to fetch the dwinks.

You can sit anywhere you want except on the ceiling because science has laws about the way gravity works and, more pertinantly, you can't drink upside down .

E noho ra (I think? ).
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

Originally Posted by simonsi
Might interest everyone that this issue might explain the notices in Albany Pack n Save, above the units just outside the checkouts where the boxes are stacked for putting shopping in???

Asks you not to sit there, always wondered why particularly there but this must be it.
Doesn't however stop people sitting children in shopping trolleys, where it's not unusual for people put food on the purpose made toddler seat where hundreds of childrens bottoms have sat.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:42 am
Just Joined

uknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
My contribution? Well <cough, cough>, I like to think I've made the odd point here and there as the thread has developed

I certainly know that we haven't got 7 pages about the baby, the bottom and the coffee table. We established pretty early on that there was an obnoxious woman more at fault than a baby's bottom.
LOL love it awesome! well done you
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Well that's pretty unsubstantiated as you haven't provided page number references to those so-called points you refer to milud

Oh and we haven't explored any gender-specifics yet, that's got to be good for a few more pages.....
Please no, not gender issues. I doubt I will live another 20 years to see it through.

It's been good to have a respectful debate (well mostly)
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:30 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Please no, not gender issues. I doubt I will live another 20 years to see it through.

It's been good to have a respectful debate (well mostly)

Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:43 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
It reminds me of the Life of Brian - "What have the Romans ever done for us" scene.
The whole world benefited from British Colonialism in my opinion....

There are two viewpoints - that of the invader and that of the invaded. No matter how many hundreds of years pass the view from both sides will always be different when they look over their shoulders.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 4:48 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
You all did good but I'm flouncing from this thread . I'll be over at the kiwi bar sitting on chairs as is the custom in my culture and, as is also my custom (as of 30 seconds ago), last one to the bar has to fetch the dwinks.

You can sit anywhere you want except on the ceiling because science has laws about the way gravity works and, more pertinantly, you can't drink upside down .

E noho ra (I think? ).
So after the Rugby game has finished in the club house bar and the beer has been flowing well and a rendition of "I,m climbing up the sunshine mountain" is started........what do the Kiwi lads stand on......
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:26 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I see some things don't change.

I'm blonde.

Naturally blonde btw.

I have fair skin.

I'm Maori. I get annoyed as anything when this starts people on the familiar questioning tactic of 'how' maori I am. Sometimes it's pure curiosity and I am happy to answer. But more often than not it's a matter of asking me to prove it. Or, more specifically, someone else telling me what I should or shouldn't look like.

And you know what? Whilst we always were told that you don't sit on a table because it's tapu, it wasn't the Maori side saying that. It was also the Pakeha side - because it's a dirty filthy thing to do and unhygenic as all heck.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:44 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

great thread guys!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 10:40 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Thanks for that, but I swore at her for being a bitch.

As for the statement ....."reminded him that he has a long way before he becomes as accepted as he wants to be.".......You are a wrong, wrong, wrong. I have no problems with my place in this community.

No one is going to pull my 20month child up in that manner and I do not care if it was that woman or a table with Pita Sharples, Hone Harawira or Tama Iti.

My kids will always know that their Dad has got their backs.

Interesting thread though!
I'm happy I was wrong, good on you for sticking up for your little one. No doubt this awful woman thought a Dad out on his own was fair game, I bet she wouldn't have been so offensive if your wife had been there.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Forget about the cultural side of it for a moment, it's downright unhygienic to sit on a table that is used for food. I'm guessing your youngest is probably still in nappies, and we all know how they can 'leak'
You are quite correct. (To me) its inconsiderate behaviour.

seriously though a 20 months old child is big (enough)... My nephew Euan is about 17 months old now. I consider him as a small child not a baby baby baby. can't imagine put him on a table at a cafe. (even at MacDonald) I mean why would you?

sounds like the cafe lady sounds a bit harsh, however don't think she's totally wrong. but I wish she advised you in other way (more politely - without hurting your feelings).

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 8th 2011 at 3:00 am.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:15 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crap coffee
You are quite correct. (To me) its inconsiderate behaviour.

seriously though a 20 months old child is big (enough)... My nephew Euan is about 17 months old now. I consider him as a small child not a baby baby baby. can't imagine put him on a table at a cafe. (even at MacDonald) I mean why would you?

sounds like the cafe lady sounds a bit harsh, however don't think she's totally wrong. but I wish she advised you in other way (more politely - without hurting your feelings).
My 8 year old often sits on the bench top to talk to me or to help with the cooking ... it's official, we are the Dingles! Mind you she's seen me dancing on the dining table so the poor kid doesn't stand a chance ...

To be fair, from what I gather crap coffee, Catchafire was at the counter ordering and his daughter sat on the low coffee table next to the play area, so by no stretch of the imagination had he placed her on it intentionally. Although I am not going back 7 pages to check!

Funny old thread, I've been asking heaps of people if they knew about this being so frowned upon and I have to say all have said no, and that includes Kiwis. I know when I was working in an office here people often perched on the corners of the office table - and yes we often had wine and nibbles off it!
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
To be fair, from what I gather crap coffee, Catchafire was at the counter ordering and his daughter sat on the low coffee table next to the play area, so by no stretch of the imagination had he placed her on it intentionally. Although I am not going back 7 pages to check!

!
I thought so...(too)
Old Jun 8th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I'm over this. The topic has taken the often used diversion of "Maori have the same chances as we do" bashing, so I will move on and leave you to it.

It would be a shame to toss facts into the discussion.
So what chances DONT they get then?

There are books in all the libraries in all the towns if they want to read them.
So what is it - no jobs in their town? Thats because they live in northland, not because they are maori.

There are loads of illeducated white trash around too .Why are they like they are - cos of lack of opportunies? No, cos of their own trash attitude and appalling parenting most likely.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Funny old thread, I've been asking heaps of people if they knew about this being so frowned upon and I have to say all have said no, and that includes Kiwis.
Conversely 'not sitting/leaning on tables' was one of the first 'culturally sensitive' things I was told about when I started work here. Its pretty well known and followed along with other things such as, not touching heads without permission, not passing anything over someone's head, not using 'head' pillows for anything else (putting under feet for example) not stepping over outstretched legs/feet etc.
Maybe its because of where I live and the large Maori population but its pretty much an everyday fact around here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.