Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Maori is not the only culture but NZ is a Bi Cultural country and IMHO a bit of respect for both of those cultures is warranted, not just one.

Bi-cultural? ..... Look a little closer ... you'll find its a multicultural society in NZ!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 5:30 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I think Maori culture fits both definitions

Your bit about a culture wanting to impose its "residual culture" over another shows a really crass understanding of NZ and Maori history. The adoption of *some* Maori norms, values etc into mainstream NZ culture (if you will) is about respecting the Treaty and redressing some pretty severe past wrongs. And, it may interest you to know that it isn't just Maori who want this (and that also it isn't all Maori), so "imposing" culture "residual" culture don't really make sense. Culture is not fixed, we can't just open the history books and look at the practices and beliefs of Maori pre-European arrival and find "the Maori culture". If you want to see what "imposing culture" looks like you can't find a much better example than the entire history of the British Empire

NZ may well be multicultural but first and foremost it is bi-cultural, this is enshrined in our nation's founding document and in the conscience of all of us here who look at the plight of the Australian indigenous people in the past few hundred years and think "not in my name".

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Both sheep and cows?

If we are going to reflect on cultures can we be careful, the two following definitions taken from the Oxford English dictionary hint at the problem. If you wanted to describe Western culture this might fit:

However Maori culture would be better described with:

So when we say "culture" do we mean the former or latter definition?

Also pretending New Zealand is multi-cultural is a canard. We are predominatly of a Western culture and live accordingly. There is only the residual values of those cultures Western culture assimilated left and New Zealanders are a varied lot in that regard, not just British and Maori (You history forgetting racists! ) but Pacific island cultures, Chinese, Dutch, Indian etc.

I don't know about you but to me the idea that one group might want to impose it's residual culture over those of any other is just silly. You might choose to respect aspects of Chinese or Maori or British culture in the presence of people from that background but we are predominatly Westerners and behave accordingly .

Any objections?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:59 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Your bit about a culture wanting to impose its "residual culture" over another shows a really crass understanding of NZ and Maori history. The adoption of *some* Maori norms, values etc into mainstream NZ culture (if you will) is about respecting the Treaty and redressing some pretty severe past wrongs.
In my opinion your views seem to be those of a typical apologist which is to say lack due consideration and foresight. The treaty text is here but you'll be dissapointed if you are looking for references to integrating traditional Maori values into the British culture of the time or Western culture now.

On the issue of redressing past wrongs, and with the knowledge of our current process of benign cultural assimilation, two wrongs still won't make a right.
And, it may interest you to know that it isn't just Maori who want this (and that also it isn't all Maori), so "imposing" culture "residual" culture don't really make sense. Culture is not fixed, we can't just open the history books and look at the practices and beliefs of Maori pre-European arrival and find "the Maori culture".
Culture may not be fixed but it can be defined. Disagree on the residue of past cultures, Western culture for example enshrines within it many aspects of the ancient Greek and Roman cultures as well as others.
If you want to see what "imposing culture" looks like you can't find a much better example than the entire history of the British Empire
Which is exactly why we need a cultural secularism in government and society. Everyone is entitled to enjoy the vestiges of their past cultures but as a society we impose no standard of culture, as we would impose no standard religion upon each other.

This is the very basis of freedom in our society, it's going to be a very steep hill to convince most of us that preserving a culture is more important than maintaining cultural freedom.
NZ may well be multicultural but first and foremost it is bi-cultural, this is enshrined in our nation's founding document and in the conscience of all of us here who look at the plight of the Australian indigenous people in the past few hundred years and think "not in my name".
Show me where?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

and thats why its doomed to fail. History. history or whatever, but you cannot continue a racist devide as a basis for a country. Maori arent disadvantaged today in any shape or form now.

And I can understand Robbie2010's point. Contemporary immigrants from europe, asia, africa dont expect to have to pay political correctness points to some bi-cultural expectation.

Everybody is competing for jobs in the same way, everyone has the same opportunities for schooling and education. If you dont get on, its down to your own attitude from what I can see, your own failure to develop yourself rather than portray yourself as a victim and put your hand out.

Every country in the world is affected by colonialism in some shape or form, get on with it and get over with it.

If WWII had ended differently, maori would be significantly worse off than they are now.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:18 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
... Maori arent disadvantaged today in any shape or form now....

everyone has the same opportunities for schooling and education. If you dont get on, its down to your own attitude from what I can see, your own failure to develop yourself rather than portray yourself as a victim and put your hand out.
Hehe, I think we just come from such different philosophical and political perspectives that we're never going to agree here!
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Bi-cultural? ..... Look a little closer ... you'll find its a multicultural society in NZ!
I'm not interested in getting into an argument with you Robbie but NZ is a biclutural country.

The residents of NZ are multicultural.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/the-new-zealanders/12

I'm over this. The topic has taken the often used diversion of "Maori have the same chances as we do" bashing, so I will move on and leave you to it.

It would be a shame to toss facts into the discussion.

Though I am keen to know how long Browner has been a Maori and knows so much about what it is like to be one? LOL

Last edited by Bellasmum; Jun 6th 2011 at 7:35 am.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:51 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, as I said this sitting on tables isn't just a Maori thing, its plain good manners.

Its just as relevant to anyone fully clothed who may have sat (unknowingly) in something I would rather NOT have on the top of a table, it is not just relevant to anyone not wearing clothes as said above

"Insult" no, you can't be insulted by an act unintended or in ignorance, you can be offended but in general usage the word insult implies intent and that wasn't the case here. Of course if you go looking for offence you will find it...

Is what happened here some indicator of some deep-seated malaise in NZ society, I doubt it. Did two people come across each other and rub each other up the wrong way, definitely yes.

But nothing more than that IMHO.....
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not interested in getting into an argument with you Robbie but NZ is a biclutural country.

I'm over this. The topic has taken the often used diversion of "Maori have the same chances as we do" bashing, so I will move on and leave you to it.

Though I am keen to know how long Browner has been a Maori and knows so much about what it is like to be one? LOL
Try reading further! NZ is multicultural! ... http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/the-new-zealanders/13

Last edited by Robbie2010; Jun 6th 2011 at 9:55 am.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:41 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bellasmum,
In the UK we have in schools approx 40-50 different nationalities of children so you can gather that we are now no longer just British. I would not consider going to the house of a different nationality/religion without having the inside info of what to do or not to do so that I do not offend. So yes please without entering into the table argument I would very much appreciate a list of to does or not, just so I know the difference to start with....

Stormer, normally I would post a list of Maori values and concepts and in fact I did post two in relation to the topic. It appears to have been ignored and the following posts in the main have been what I consider condescending sneers.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Some may be, but sadly they hide it so well, that we see very little evidence.

It's just so ingrained into everyday language to hear some daily slur on some race or nation in the newspapers, television or radio. The stalwarts of NZ society that they are; Murray Deaker in the spotlight this week for using the 'N' word on the radio and not one official complaint was made. I'm not a racist Paul Henry is still bleating on about being taken out of context and he's alright ain't he, meant no harm, eh? It just continues and hasn't improved at all since Paul Holmes infamously called Kofi Annan a 'cheeky darkie'.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jun 6th 2011 at 11:05 am.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:02 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simonsi
Wow, as I said this sitting on tables isn't just a Maori thing, its plain good manners.

Its just as relevant to anyone fully clothed who may have sat (unknowingly) in something I would rather NOT have on the top of a table, it is not just relevant to anyone not wearing clothes as said above

"Insult" no, you can't be insulted by an act unintended or in ignorance, you can be offended but in general usage the word insult implies intent and that wasn't the case here. Of course if you go looking for offence you will find it...

Is what happened here some indicator of some deep-seated malaise in NZ society, I doubt it. Did two people come across each other and rub each other up the wrong way, definitely yes.

But nothing more than that IMHO.....
I think, as you have, that when we remember it's a 20 month old child who sat on the table, your comment regarding 2 people (the adults) rubbing each other up the wrong way is perfect.

My 4 children are a quarter Maori and I have lived in NZ for 4+ years. I didn't know about this socially unacceptable scenario or indeed many others. The one thing this thread has made me think is I would like to find out more about the Maori cultures and beliefs etc for my own benefit as a soon to be citizen and for my children's heritage too.

I grew up in London which is certainly multi-cultural, not bi-cultural and I can recognise the difference between the two.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Hi Bellasmum,
In the UK we have in schools approx 40-50 different nationalities of children so you can gather that we are now no longer just British. I would not consider going to the house of a different nationality/religion without having the inside info of what to do or not to do so that I do not offend. So yes please without entering into the table argument I would very much appreciate a list of to does or not, just so I know the difference to start with....

Stormer, normally I would post a list of Maori values and concepts and in fact I did post two in relation to the topic. It appears to have been ignored and the following posts in the main have been what I consider condescending sneers.
http://www.maori.org.nz/tikanga/

The information below relates to the topic of the thread. It comes from this health link http://www.ccdhb.org.nz/news/Tikanga%20Maori.pdf

TE KA I / PAPAMUKA / WAI TINANA – FOOD / LINEN / BODY SUB STANCES
Principle
Tapu and noa are key concepts that underpin many Mäori practices. Things that are tapu (sacred) are kept separate from things that are noa (not restricted.)

Guideline
Staff need to be familiar with the concept that for Mäori the body and bodily
substances are tapu and food is noa.

When caring for Mäori patients, staff can observe the principles of tapu and noa by:

• refraining from passing food over a person’s head;
• refraining from using pillowcases for any purpose other than placement underthe head;
• encouraging whänau to provide their own pillowcases and to arrange their
own laundering;
• using different wash cloths for washing the head and washing the body;
• being especially vigilant about the normal order of body washing from neck to genital to anal area;
• separating certain items from contact with the body or body substances:
- combs and brushes are not placed on a surface where food may be placed.
- surfaces where food or medication may be placed are not used as seating.
- microwaves used for heating food are not used for heating items that have
come into contact with the body.
- compliance with C&C DHB policy, ensuring the differing purposes for
fridges and freezers are honored thus ensuring stored food and medication
are always separate from stored body substances.
- ensuring that glasses and jugs used for drinking water are used solely for
that purpose.
- being vigilant in ensuring that tea towels are only used for drying dishes
and that they are separated from other used linen at collection points.
- ensuring that receptacles for excreta are not placed near food,
food trays or food containers nor on tables or other surfaces that may be
used for eating eg: bedside tables.

You may also find this link helpful
Thttp://www.mothersmatter.co.nz/Culture/Default.asp
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:45 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Contemporary immigrants from europe, asia, africa dont expect to have to pay political correctness points to some bi-cultural expectation.
Rubbish. Canada is also a bicultural nation (French/English) and some immigrants are even attracted by that. You can't generalize about millions of people like that - some of them might struggle with it, but if that's the way the country is presented to them then they have no choice but to accept it and adapt, or not come here. THousands do anyway.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jun 6th 2011 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 4:47 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. And in addition, I"m so tired of British people trying to brush colonalization under the carpet. An inconvenient truth indeed. Instead of running away from it maybe you could face it and learn from it and try and develop some compassion instead.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jun 6th 2011 at 4:57 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:24 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Instead of running away from it maybe you could face it and learn from it and try and develop some compassion instead.
Sorry, British colonialisation wasn't done in my name, I wasn't there, didn't vote on it.

I'm no more personally responsible for it than any other systemic malaise on the planet.

That isn't to say elements of populations don't feel wronged by the past - but that is different to saying those on the other side are still responsible for the past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.