Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

Old Jun 5th 2011, 10:32 am
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

your are sooooooooooooooooo right

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
It doesn't take much to stun me after years on BE, but the comments on this thread have.

Goodness, I don't know what you are all doing with your 20 month old children, but I wish I'd had access to whatever it is when mine were 20 months old.

He turns his back for less than a minute and his toddler sits on a coffee table ...

Get real people ...

Not his fault. Not the toddlers fault. Not deliberately causing offense. Come on ...

I apologise for my kids (who are significantly older than 20 months) when I walk in a room, because I am damn sure I'll be apologising for them when I walk out of it.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen plenty of Maori sitting on tables. ... I also wonder when this bit of Maori "culture" came about seeing as they probably didn't have tables before Europeans arrived.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
I've seen plenty of Maori sitting on tables. ... I also wonder when this bit of Maori "culture" came about seeing as they probably didn't have tables before Europeans arrived.
Instead of being offensive why don't you enlighten yourself about the concepts and values of the Tangata Whenua of NZ ?

I will even help you.

Tapu and noa
Although tapu is often described as a state of sacredness, it also has the more general meaning of being special or restricted. Noa is the absence of tapu and denotes the state of being normal, ordinary or safe. All things to do with death or the body are tapu, while anything related to cooked food is noa.
Many Maori feel that keeping tapu items separate from noa items is very
important and find it distressing when this division is not observed.

You may like to share it with all those Maori you see sitting on the tables.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Instead of being offensive why don't you enlighten yourself about the concepts and values of the Tangata Whenua of NZ ?
What was offensive, did I miss something?
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
It doesn't take much to stun me after years on BE, but the comments on this thread have.

Goodness, I don't know what you are all doing with your 20 month old children, but I wish I'd had access to whatever it is when mine were 20 months old.

He turns his back for less than a minute and his toddler sits on a coffee table ...

Get real people ...

Not his fault. Not the toddlers fault. Not deliberately causing offense. Come on ...

I apologise for my kids (who are significantly older than 20 months) when I walk in a room, because I am damn sure I'll be apologising for them when I walk out of it.
No-one said it was his fault, but someone pointed out to him the significance of it...maybe in a less than polite way and his response was to swear at her. Hardly an appropriate response.

Of course we know he was not intending to offend ffs, but it seems reactions on all sides are a bit petulant and immature.

Last edited by dannigirl; Jun 5th 2011 at 12:37 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Just like the argument that they didn't have electricity. Maybe you should spend some time educating yourself on the history of New Zealand.

I'll leave this thread now as it is just getting ridiculous.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woodlea
What was offensive, did I miss something?
It's offensive because it suggests that Maori people weren't "enlightened" until the great Europeans came to save their race with those lovely Christian values of raping and pillaging.....please note the intended use of generalised comments. Kind of along the lines of references to cannabalism........
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Just like the argument that we were here first so we aren't immigrants, we're indigenous?
So by that logic the USA owns the Moon????
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't know where you are Woodlea so I can't comment
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dannigirl
It's offensive because it suggests that Maori people weren't "enlightened" until the great Europeans came to save their race with those lovely Christian values of raping and pillaging.....please note the intended use of generalised comments. Kind of along the lines of references to cannabalism........
Rubbish, it doesn't suggest that at all.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Rubbish, it doesn't suggest that at all.
So then how do you interpret "culture" in inverted commas...and the reference/link between Maori not having tables until the Europeans arrived?
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:00 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as I have never heard of this 'sitting on tables' as being offensive to Kiwi's then how about someone making a sensible list of what else is unacceptable in NZ instead of arguing as to who first used tables for what! (believed to be very early Egyptians).
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:00 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
I know exactly how you feel ,, my second week in the country there was a staff meeting in the tea room , Everyone was crammed in and all chairs had been taken I mistakenly put one cheek on the table . In front of all the staff my lovely boss stated I know you are British but it is culturally unacceptable to sit on a table and you are insulting all of us here !!!!
Needless to say I was mortified and embarrassed by her comment,,
Talk about learning the cultural differences the hard way

IMO, the way she handled that was wrong and I'm sorry that happened to you.

Unfortunately basic people skills don't appear to have caught up with 'cultural sensitivity" in NZ

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jun 5th 2011 at 3:07 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Seeing as I have never heard of this 'sitting on tables' as being offensive to Kiwi's then how about someone making a sensible list of what else is unacceptable in NZ instead of arguing as to who first used tables for what! (believed to be very early Egyptians).
That seems very sensible to me!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

My 43 year old Kiwi husband has never heard of this tradition and recalls many of his Maori friends at high school sitting on dining tables during break.

He grew up in Ngaruawahia which is where Turangawaewae Marae is. Official home of the late Maori queen. I guess our equivalent would be Windsor Castle.

He cannot recall any traditions or cultural taboos that caused problems and both Maori and Pakeha live happily along side each other.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.