Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

Old Jun 10th 2011, 1:20 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just been accused of being "culturally insensitive"!

Originally Posted by jmh
I think that is a bit unfair Kiwilass. People in the former colonies (reminder that I am a born and raised Kiwi too) often forget that that Britain has its own history of being colonised. Just think of the Romans, Angles, Vikings and Normans, all of whom raided, killed, raped and pillaged the local British population. The British people suffered great cruelty and hardship and those who survived were the ones who adopted the dominant culture of their masters. Does this justify what happened to Maori in NZ? No of course not, but viewing NZ history in a world context doesn't mean denial. In fact it helps to see the bigger picture and develop perspective. We can learn from the history of other people. I have a different viewpoint now that I have moved away, learned more about the rest of the world, and come back home. I think the viewpoints of expats is a useful mirror on ourselves (even if they can be a bit annoying sometimes ). Expats themselves can also learn from becoming familiar with the culture and history of their new home.

In recent years the majority of migrants are not of British or European decent. I would be interested to know how they feel about being categorised as 'pakeha' which essentially means non-Maori. This can become an important issue when funding hinges on how you are classified. I predict an interesting future for NZ (whatever that means )
I disagree, sometimes you need to call a spade a spade. I don't 'forget' anything - I actually find your assumption pretty insulting. I'm just really tired of the "oh xyz <insert name of terrible event> happened so what the hell are the Maori complaining about" bs.

The Uk hasn't been invaded in any real sense for about 1000 years, hence any attempt to claim that British people know what it's like to be colonized is laughable in my eyes. As in, hahahahaha. I'm pretty sure I have a mix of all England's invaders in my veins, but do I remember anything from 1066? Nope. No one here can honestly say they, their grandparents or grandparents grandparents have experienced that...unless of course they were from a country that was colonized recently, like NZ.

And happily it's 2011 not 1011, so we all understand we can learn from the past, right?
Old Jun 10th 2011, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
The Uk hasn't been invaded in any real sense for about 1000 years, hence any attempt to claim that British people know what it's like to be colonized is laughable in my eyes. As in, hahahahaha. I'm pretty sure I have a mix of all England's invaders in my veins, but do I remember anything from 1066? Nope. No one here can honestly say they, their grandparents or grandparents grandparents have experienced that...unless of course they were from a country that was colonized recently, like NZ.
Its nearly 250yrs since Cook landed ... but I suppose you can remember it as if it was yesterday!

Last edited by Robbie2010; Jun 10th 2011 at 2:53 am.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I was told about not sitting on tables in the first job I had when I arrived in 2008. This was from my Pakeha manager and we had no Maori staff working in our company (it was only a small office).

I remained mindful of this and tried never to even perch on a corner in the work environment. In my next job (larger organisation, many Maori and other races/relgions/nationalities) my new boss sat on my desk chatting to me. He seemed oblivious yet he was about 3rd generation New Zealander.

Thus I can conclude that it is not a widely known cultural issue.

With the OP situation, I think the woman was totally out of order for the way she spoke to him and I doubt very much if the low table would have been used for food anyway.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:02 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Its nearly 250yrs since Cook landed ... but I suppose you can remember it as if it was yesterday!
Do you know anything about NZ history? NZ has a very different attitude to Maori culture than even a generation or so ago where it was still being actively stamped out in schools etc (kids were punished for speaking Maori in schools- even in the playground). Te Reo has been all but killed dead as an indigenous first language and the worst damage has been committed pretty recently.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Nooooo .... what a vision ... Next you're going to tell me that sitting on your neighbour's dick and sipping cocktails isn't on either?!
Am Loolah, let me have a moment to think about that one!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of

You lot can have your intellectual(bet i have spelt that wrong) conversation/debate/argument. All i want to know is did it happen in Chequers in Blenheim. For no other reason than curiosity as i live in my own little dream world since emigrating ;-)
Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

RJT UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Nooooo .... what a vision ... Next you're going to tell me that sitting on your neighbour's dick and sipping cocktails isn't on either?!
Am Loolah, was that a typo? Did u mean to say deck? I hope so!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

What an entertaining thread I'm supposed to be writing assignments...
Old Jun 15th 2011, 11:41 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
What an entertaining thread I'm supposed to be writing assignments...
BE is my assignment distraction
Old Jun 15th 2011, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RJT UK
Am Loolah, was that a typo? Did u mean to say deck? I hope so!
I'm sure it's not a typo. My OH has two dicks, front & back. He still hasn't painted the front one. Nothing nicer on a summer's evening than sitting on a dick with a glass of Sav blanc IMO
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
BE is my assignment distraction
Sigh... still trying to motivate myself to write
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'm sure it's not a typo. My OH has two dicks, front & back. He still hasn't painted the front one. Nothing nicer on a summer's evening than sitting on a dick with a glass of Sav blanc IMO
I have the 2 dicks too! I like to sit on mine with a nice cuppa coffee whilst catching up on Skype with my Mum back in the UK
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:52 am
---

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
I have the 2 dicks too! I like to sit on mine with a nice cuppa coffee whilst catching up on Skype with my Mum back in the UK
I currently have only the one dick but where it's situated means it's too hot to enjoy. I'm looking forward to shifting in a few weeks where the new set up will offer me a hot front dick to lie around on and a back dick suitable for doing mucky jobs
Old Jun 16th 2011, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I currently have only the one dick but where it's situated means it's too hot to enjoy. I'm looking forward to shifting in a few weeks where the new set up will offer me a hot front dick to lie around on and a back dick suitable for doing mucky jobs
Old Jun 16th 2011, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I have only read the first page of responses because I am part maori, and therefore lazy (its genetic I swear)

LIke others have said, putting aside some rubbish maori crap about it being bad to sit on tables, shouldnt you be teaching your 20 month old daughter not to site on tables? In fact, shouldnt she already know?

Agree in that some euro looking people identify as Maori.

However, will also point out that some twatty euros also like to preach maori stuff because they think it makes them look all culturally sensitive and cool or something.

For the record, I am part Maori, I look white and as far as I am concerned am a whitey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.