British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Just Back From Recce! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/just-back-recce-495289/)

custard creams Nov 20th 2007 9:59 am

Just Back From Recce!

Hi,

I,ve just returned from a recce trip to the North Island,

I must say it exceeded all my expectations in all areas:thumbsup:

I rented a car, drove from auckland to tauranga, visited rotorua, drove back to Auckland , then to hamilton and then back to Touranga then returned to auckland.

I found a grate deal on car hire, varied accommodation and a cracking variety of local contacts, now friends (some met at local hostelries) and have a basic but essential overview of suburbs and schools in different areas.
trip was a great success and recommended as a return to areas only defined that my first impressions where correct:thumbsup::thumbup:
Attended 5 interviews, 2 very positive, all arranged by BBT who proved excellent and free!
we now know where we want to be and are aiming for early next year.

I will post a detailed thread or two soon, otherwise if I can help with questions please ask.
Hope to be back in NZ soon:thumbsup::thumbsup:

happynz Nov 20th 2007 10:08 am

Re: Just Back From Recce!

It is an attractive country in many ways, true.

simonmarkellis Nov 20th 2007 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Richard S (Post 5580343)
Hi,

I rented a car, drove from auckland to tauranga, visited rotorua, drove back to Auckland , then to hamilton and then back to Touranga then returned to auckland.

I found a grate deal on car hire, varied accommodation and a cracking variety of local contacts, now friends (some met at local hostelries) and have a basic but essential overview of suburbs and schools in different areas.
trip was a great success and recommended as a return to areas only defined that my first impressions where correct:thumbsup::thumbup:
Attended 5 interviews, 2 very positive, all arranged by BBT who proved excellent and free!

I will post a detailed thread or two soon, otherwise if I can help with questions please ask.

You didn't go any further south?

Kerrygold Nov 21st 2007 12:24 am

You didn't say what your favourite place was and where you are intending to live. Nosey - ;) I know.

Kags1694 Nov 21st 2007 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Richard S (Post 5580343)
Hi,

Hi Richard,
We are going over in March for 3 weeks to do the same (flights booked last year)
Hope you dont mind me asking, regarding Car and places to stay were do I start.

Two families total of (7)

Regards
Karen

sparkywater Nov 21st 2007 6:06 am

Likewise we are going over at the end of february to do the same so would love to know details of cars/hotel etc.!!

Yotty Nov 21st 2007 6:16 am

I think you need to visit the mainland to get a balanced picture :)

cande Nov 21st 2007 8:14 am

We're going next year. Flights booked - v.interested in car hire. When booking in the UK we're looking at £42 per day for an MPV (previa, etc.).

Andrew Cross Nov 21st 2007 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Yotty (Post 5584145)
I think you need to visit the mainland to get a balanced picture :)

Mainland...:confused:

happynz Nov 21st 2007 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross (Post 5584797)
Mainland...:confused:

South Island...;)

BEVS Nov 21st 2007 8:41 am

Found south of Welly, I'd hazard a guess :cool:

simonmarkellis Nov 21st 2007 8:41 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5584801)
South Island...;)

:rofl::lol::eek:

happynz Nov 21st 2007 8:43 am

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 5584809)
:rofl::lol::eek:

Go ahead and laugh, Chuckles, but it's true.
:p

karron Nov 21st 2007 10:22 am

we just got back and the cheapest car hire for us was exploremore.co.nz on beachroad auckland.think it was for 16 days,budget car,came to $512.

Andrew Cross Nov 21st 2007 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5584801)
South Island...;)

Good one..:lol: