Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just back from Queenstown

Just back from Queenstown

Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just back from Queenstown

Gert lush...
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just back from Queenstown

Queenstown looks lovely
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
Queenstown looks lovely
It's remarkable...
Very pretty, very striking, but the town is quite small and probably too little for me. Plus two nights in a hotel and couldn't sleep for the drunk young'uns on the streets. It's that sort of town it would appear...
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Party place. Probably students from dunedin go there. Im almost 23 and id prob still moan about the noise too lol. It really does look gorgeous!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottishstacey
Party place. Probably students from dunedin go there. Im almost 23 and id prob still moan about the noise too lol. It really does look gorgeous!
It really is. Bloody expensive mind. Most of the houses seem to overlook the big lake. Went for a run along it this morning before my meeting. Absolutely lovely. That's the thing with NZ, whenever I go away on business, I go to somewhere just lovely almost all of the time. It's that sort of country...
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

northeastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond repute

Queenstown was/is my absolute favourite place in NZ. It's the most beautiful town I have yet seen on God's green earth!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northeastlad
Queenstown was/is my absolute favourite place in NZ. It's the most beautiful town I have yet seen on God's green earth!
You cant have seen many towns then....LOL

no seriously though, it is very striking but there are so many places that would give it a run for its money.

I agree about the crowds, noise and expense, having just come back from down there myself.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

My family have just been over for a couple of weeks from England, we had a drive up to Queenstown through Central Otago, we decided to stay the night in Arrowtown and then head to Wanaka the next day. What a place Queenstown is, I'll be back up there as soon as I can, absolutely loved the place. But for me Arrowtown was my favourite, beautiful little place and looked like something out of a cowboy film. I could easily spend the rest of my life living up there, we only stopped briefly in Wanaka but again it looked an amazing place and I'm sure in Winter these places are still buzzing with people.

Another great reason to move down here, you can just hop in the car and be up in Queenstown etc within a few hours.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 8:40 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Just be careful to count your change and check twice before you pay any bill in Queenstown....the place is full of rip off merchants especially if they think you are a tourist.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Queenstown is excellent but not a patch on Arrowtown

We stopped at the Shotover holiday resort when we went there for 3 nights during christmas. Granted the weather was a bit hit and miss but that wasn't too bad.

Arrowtown will always be famous for their tourist information centre. Oh my goodness I have to go back there just to experience the lady's attitude - especially towards foreign tourists. It was like she was desperate to be somewhere else and didn't slow down at all for when this french couple were asking about the location of the LOTR set. Very entertaining.

As was the walk along the town streets. Reminded me of a lost 1900's cowboy town in New Mexico or Texas. The river area is stunning by the public car park

The only little negative I have of Queenstown is that it's not really suitable for families with new borns. It was a bit of a struggle as to what to do, but when the wee boy is a bit older, there's so much stuff there. I was extremely disappointed that they wouldn't put my name on the board when I equalled the 5 holes in one at the crazy golf near the gondola.

Lovely place and the 6 hour drive from Christchurch is well worth it. Via Lake Tekapo, Lake Punakiki, Be..... pass, stunning scenic drives of natural beauty

Oh and I recommend a visit to Cromwell. We stopped there on the way to Queenstown for a few hours. Lovely little town and the cheddar n cider factory is well worth a walk round.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

GS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant futureGS.83 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by northeastlad
Agree with this, love it!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:01 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Had a picnic at the foot of lake Queenstown. I remember the weather being a bit chilly. Personally I found Queenstown to be a bit, 'ho hum, is that it ?' I agree Wananka was nice. Like a lot of NZ, ok for a holiday, but, is it time to leave yet ? Most shop signs were written in English/Japanese with the shop assistants giving you that, 'don't come in here unless you are loaded with cash' look.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 17th 2013 at 4:04 am.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:45 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by julesnye
Y

I agree about the crowds, noise and expense, having just come back from down there myself.
Originally Posted by Grayling
Just be careful to count your change and check twice before you pay any bill in Queenstown....the place is full of rip off merchants especially if they think you are a tourist.
Yis
Queenstown does have lovely scenery and all the adrenaline stuff . Rather crowded and expensive we feel & as someone else said, there are other lovely places for a fraction of the price of being there. Mind you, for tourists, backpackers & any others with $$ to spare it's a good party town & a 'must see' stop.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:50 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
....Plus two nights in a hotel and couldn't sleep for the drunk young'uns on the streets. It's that sort of town it would appear...
English tourists again. Trying to replicate the English rugby team the last time they were in town.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

northeastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond reputenortheastlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
You cant have seen many towns then....LOL

no seriously though, it is very striking but there are so many places that would give it a run for its money.

I've been to plenty! Travelled 11,000+ km around NZ alone!

Queenstown just had a feel with me. Mind you while I was there, I went for walks out into the beautiful landscape; not one for doing the 'usual suspects' on these trips. The most touristy thing we did - on recommendation of a mate out there at the same time - was go to Fergburger. Those crowds really did have an unfriendly feel (like it could kick off at any time) to them and that burger was really NOT worth either the wait or the price...

I think the crowds, noise and expense would eventually make the place tiring, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.