Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just back from our recci!!!!!!!...................

Just back from our recci!!!!!!!...................

Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default Just back from our recci!!!!!!!...................

Hello everyone

We have just spent the last 3 weeks touring some of the North Island, 3500km later & 24 hours on a plane, we are all bloody knackered!!!
We have our residence visas so now we need to decide if its a goer or not, thats going to be a tough decision, everything has been building up to this point and now we are at a cruncher of a decision.
If we decide its a yes, I think we would be looking at 2 areas to lay our hats, The Bay of Plenty or Hawkes Bay.
We have had a good look around both these areas and they both have alot to offer.
If Napier in HB had a sandy beach that would give it nearly everything, although the road to get there from Taupo is a bit scary and dangerous at times!!
Taranga, The Mount, Papamoa are all pretty tempting as well, and a bit closer to the big city if required.

Calling people in The BOP and HB, give us your feelings please.

Cheers Jads

Head spinning all over the place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 7:37 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice
Default Re: Just back from our recci!!!!!!!...................

Dont matter where you live in New Zealand there will always be a dangerous or scarey road joining it to the rest of the country. Off the top of my head I cant think of any road out of a district not a challenge. I dread the drive to Wanganui now that is a challenging road.

You are actually safer on the Napier-Taupo road than SH2 that joins the Motorway to Auckland from Tauranga. I am not scaring you thats a fact! 15 years ago the road was still unsealed in places We were living in the Hawkesbay for a while in Hastings I liked it there but we had a goal and that was not part of it.
There is a Large Hospital there which if you worried about that kind of thing with your close to the big city remark?
But if your after Sandy Beaches well not the area for you.

Your heads going to spin and how you make that final choice is going to be the one that says did I make the right choice because your going to live with it. We were lucky when we moved from Hastings to Taupo our stuff fitted in 2 small car loads, cant do that no more and we killed our van last move.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jads
Hello everyone

We have just spent the last 3 weeks touring some of the North Island, 3500km later & 24 hours on a plane, we are all bloody knackered!!!
We have our residence visas so now we need to decide if its a goer or not, thats going to be a tough decision, everything has been building up to this point and now we are at a cruncher of a decision.
If we decide its a yes, I think we would be looking at 2 areas to lay our hats, The Bay of Plenty or Hawkes Bay.
We have had a good look around both these areas and they both have alot to offer.
If Napier in HB had a sandy beach that would give it nearly everything, although the road to get there from Taupo is a bit scary and dangerous at times!!
Taranga, The Mount, Papamoa are all pretty tempting as well, and a bit closer to the big city if required.

Cheers Jads

Hi,

We did exactly the same as you and came up with the same choices as you and also the beach played a factor so we ended up in Papamoa. We loved Napier and Havelock North but being beach bums felt that a 20 min drive to the beach wasn`t for us. Good luck with your choices. I truelly feel that both areas have equal amounts on offer.

Ash
Old Aug 25th 2007, 5:42 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jads
Hello everyone

Cheers Jads

Lucky you, I was reminiscing about our reccie the other day. We had to decide where most boxes for a family of 6 would get ticked, trying to accommodate everyone. BoP was the outcome. Beaches, weather, scenary (get that anywhere here) area of growth and hopefully property profit, from Papamoa/the Mount, very quick into the "bright" lights of Tauranga. Pretty much all we could want. My drive to work is along Marine Parade towards Mauao, couldn't be a nicer journey!

For us I think it was here or the Bay of Islands but we weren't convinced that there would be enough for the kids there or work prospects.

Plus here we get to live near Ash1!!
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Cheers Guys

How long does it take to get from papamoa to taranga in the rush hours?
We did like papamoa and it has a great beach

cheers Jads
Old Aug 25th 2007, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Are we ALL moving to Papamoa!? Oh, goody, because my OH is a Kiwi and his Kiwi family all live there - it will be nice to have loads of Brits around to moan to about them. And, yes, someone moaning about their in-laws is extremely boring but you don't have to listen - just nod and agree!

Last edited by weebossyboots; Aug 25th 2007 at 8:13 am. Reason: is Ash1 cute then?
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Lucky you, I was reminiscing about our reccie the other day. We had to decide where most boxes for a family of 6 would get ticked, trying to accommodate everyone. BoP was the outcome. Beaches, weather, scenary (get that anywhere here) area of growth and hopefully property profit, from Papamoa/the Mount, very quick into the "bright" lights of Tauranga. Pretty much all we could want. My drive to work is along Marine Parade towards Mauao, couldn't be a nicer journey!

For us I think it was here or the Bay of Islands but we weren't convinced that there would be enough for the kids there or work prospects.

Plus here we get to live near Ash1!!
Hm,

me thinks you`re gonna get it at play time!!!
See you behind the bike sheds.

Ashhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Aug 25th 2007, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Alifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ash1
Hi,

We did exactly the same as you and came up with the same choices as you and also the beach played a factor so we ended up in Papamoa. We loved Napier and Havelock North but being beach bums felt that a 20 min drive to the beach wasn`t for us. Good luck with your choices. I truelly feel that both areas have equal amounts on offer.

Ash
We are hoping to settle in HB in Oct/ November. Where are the best beaches- wanting nice family friendly ones, ie shallow water, not too choppy etc- not too picky on my shopping list of good beaches am I?!
Old Aug 25th 2007, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alifox
We are hoping to settle in HB in Oct/ November. Where are the best beaches- wanting nice family friendly ones, ie shallow water, not too choppy etc- not too picky on my shopping list of good beaches am I?!
The nearest safe sandy beach is at least 45 mins from Napier, near Havelock North area. Its a bit of a shame because if you go all that way to live you really deserve a sandy beach, I know its probably a bit shallow (no pun) but I think its quite high up there on the list.

Where are you planning to settle in HB? Are you going there for work, there doesnt seem to be many expats in HB, its a good seaside type town with loads to do and Breakers Bar is great for all the family!!

Cheers Jads
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:50 pm
Banned

kiwiflyer is an unknown quantity at this point

In three weeks you have made a reccie of New Zealand

Make sure you buy a return ticket when you move out you may need it
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kiwiflyer
No ! Please re-read the OPs post

We have just spent the last 3 weeks touring some of the North Island,
We have our residence visas so now we need to decide if its a goer or not,
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:33 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you buy a return ticket when you move out you may need it
We did ours in 6 days! But if a place fits, it fits. Bit like house hunting, you know as soon as you walk in if it's somewhere you can call home. Just a gut feeling you get. Probably not the most organised or rational way to do things, but worked for us.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
We did ours in 6 days! But if a place fits, it fits. Bit like house hunting, you know as soon as you walk in if it's somewhere you can call home. Just a gut feeling you get. Probably not the most organised or rational way to do things, but worked for us.
Are you the same person who said in the one piece of advice thread you should bring loadsa money?
Me thinks that 6 days was not long enough for you to be able to not get ripped off
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:50 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Are you the same person who said in the one piece of advice thread you should bring loadsa money?
Me thinks that 6 days was not long enough for you to be able to not get ripped off
never have been gifted with the smarts!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
never have been gifted with the smarts!
Brightside is at least you moved south

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.