Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just back from our recce

Just back from our recce

Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:52 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just back from our recce

If you want to watch TV then you watch it! It's not bad once you're actually here. We've got SKY but to be honest most of the TV I watch is actually on the NZ channels. I've recently started watching Corrie again after a break of about two years so of course it's all new to me - even though it's a year behind the UK. Have a look at this to get an idea of what's on during the week, bearing in mind it's summer so not much Boston Legal has returned this week though so I couldn't give a toss if there was nothing else on for the week http://home.nzcity.co.nz/tvnow/tvguide.asp

We only watch a maximum of 2 hours a night during the week and unless there's rugby or a good film on, we don't watch any at the weekend. And I was a TV addict! You just don't seem to bother so much here.

The thing people who are not here should bear in mind is that after a while you stop being on holiday and just LIVE and that includes wanting a bit of escapism on TV when you've had a crappy day at the office.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

figa is a jewel in the roughfiga is a jewel in the roughfiga is a jewel in the roughfiga is a jewel in the roughfiga is a jewel in the rough

Batty Thanks for that . This site is extremely helpful even the antagonisitic people who seem to think they have the right to answer in a derogatory tone!
I must say that I was under the impression that this site is to assist people to make an informed decision?
To those who have been good enough to answer my question and those that I have posted previously Thank you, to those who make snidey comments If your life is so good why spend your time on here?

I shall be keeping an eye on this site until the decision is made once that has happened I will not be posting or reviewing but enjoying my life wherever... All the best to ALL of you wherever you are
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by figa
Batty Thanks for that . This site is extremely helpful even the antagonisitic people who seem to think they have the right to answer in a derogatory tone!
I must say that I was under the impression that this site is to assist people to make an informed decision?
To those who have been good enough to answer my question and those that I have posted previously Thank you, to those who make snidey comments If your life is so good why spend your time on here?

I shall be keeping an eye on this site until the decision is made once that has happened I will not be posting or reviewing but enjoying my life wherever... All the best to ALL of you wherever you are
Good Luck Figa,

I too had concerns about TV befoe we moved. I only wanted the News and footy but sky is fine here and now we've been here 7 months we have a routine which means we rarely have much time for TV but with My Sky (Sky plus) we record everything we want and then watch when we have time.

We lived in and around Peterborough for 10 years. We were in Ely before we moved over in June last year. Have to say I prefer Auckland. We were back in Peterborough for Chistmas and now we've returned to Auckland.... we most definately prefer Auckland

If you need to work in the city, we live in Gulf Harbour and the ferry is good for a 50min commute, plus its only 35 mins to Albany.

Good luck,

Dave
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

figa is a jewel in the roughfiga is a jewel in the roughfiga is a jewel in the roughfiga is a jewel in the roughfiga is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Dave. Whilst we were over we did look at Gulf Harbour, beautiful area and yes you are right Peterborough is the pits now! We tend to go out in Cambridge or London so luckily only have to live here.

We did like Auckland and intend to settle there the people we met were great. We both sat St Johns Ambulance courses whilst there and everyone we spoke to was so welcoming.

Fingers crossed we get the price we are asking for the house then full steam ahead Immigration and medicals pending!

Take Care Figa
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
why go to nz to watch uk tv? weird.
It would only be weird if NZ had some decent telly - it doesn't really.

If anyone is a Radio 4 Junkie, I have good news - NZ's National Radio Station is very similar and imports many Radio 4 programmes. Their programmes often have a UK focus.
I don't understand why people want to play down the links between NZ and the UK...the two countries have the same Head of State for goodness sake...their schools have UK uniforms from the 1950s etc etc ...the UK influences here remain very strong and I have found all these similarities comforting.

If you can be financially secure here and live in a nice area, it can be a bit like paradise...this morning I parked my car and heard a cacophony of cricket sounds as I walked along.....tropical without the dangerous creepy crawlies.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 11:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by figa

I shall be keeping an eye on this site until the decision is made once that has happened I will not be posting or reviewing ...
That's a shame. Perhaps think to stick around a wee while,to offer some help , advice , support to those that come behind you.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:31 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helinuk
? What kind of reply is that ? I hope that was said in jest

.... so what's so wrong in enjoying a sunset?

I am a positive person who- even if they are struggling to settle into NZ, will find something positive to say to encourage someone else.
Your remark was a tad cynical. The OP needs to hear the truth - yes tv can be limited but there are other things to do here.
What shows on New Zealand TV is determined by solely what will sell the most advertising seconds, there is no BBC-like ethos of education and information, children's programmes are a good example of this.

Neither is anything really screened during peak viewing times that shows the nation any concept of "kiwiness" or what it means to live in New Zealand, other than the likes of Tui and L&P adverts, no collective national identity.

The programme schedulers have decided that most "kiwis" really don't give a stuff for what goes on in the world at large, that they are happier sitting out on their decks and knocking back the larger and the last thing they want to do is to get a whiff of being taught anything. The watching sunsets comment was just a metaphor for the dumbing-down of NZ, not a dig at you.

Last edited by Nerine; Jan 31st 2008 at 2:33 am.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

I love TV, couldn't live without it and watch it all the time. Sky rules in my roost.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by luvwelly
It would only be weird if NZ had some decent telly - it doesn't really.

Then blame Britain and USA because I reckon the majority of our TV shows is from those two places.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nerine
What shows on New Zealand TV is determined by solely what will sell the most advertising seconds

Yep, that sucks. I really noticed how heavily advertised the TV was here when I first got here. That's why I like Sky because there's not as much, although lately I have noticed that they seem to be having longer ad breaks even on Sky......sigh.....
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:42 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
Then blame Britain and USA because I reckon the majority of our TV shows is from those two places.
I don't watch much television, never have either here in New Zealand and certainly not in Southeast Asia where I lived before, but yeah, I think your observation is spot on. TVNZ generally works like this -- TV1 for British shows like Coronation Street and Doc Martin and TV2 for American butt-nuggets like Fear Factor and American Idol. TV3 does programmes like Top Chef, Biggest Loser and CSI. I assume this is the schedule. I'm just guessing here. As I said, I don't watch much TV.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:01 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

For many years it used to be American TV was cheaper, UK TV was more expensive. Therefore a lot more American TV. To be honest I suspect judging by some of the cr*p British shows on tv now that this has probably switched somewhat. Perhaps the good British shows are expensive but the REALLY bad british shows are super cheap?! I do not need to see another boot-camp style tv show of kids from some part of England in NZ any more than anyone in England or the Uk needs to see a bootcamp type show about NZ teenagers.
Also, there are some very good documentaries on at various points – I don’t think we do natural history at all well but there have been some great history docos on in the past. BTW if you want to see a good film, while a few years older now, but still very well done is “War Stories our Mother’s never told us”.

I have to laugh though about daytime tv – It isn’t really any worse than Trisha Goddard at 10:30am, followed by a couple of home décor shows, and then either a cooking show or perhaps an antique show (but not Antiques Roadshow – that’s quality) to finish. Actually from checking the radio times it seems that Wanted Down Under is on at 9:30am….

I hate ads. While they are entertaining at times it totally annoys me that I have to watch so many. Grrrr.

And a non commercial BBC style corporation would be great to have. I can’t see TVNZ returning to that model though. Pity.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I have to laugh though about daytime tv – It isn’t really any worse than Trisha Goddard at 10:30am,

oh no not her! arrrrggghhhh I can't stand Trisha! Sucks big time. She's like still doing the chat format that is so old! Even Sally Jesse and Ricky don't exist anymore and Oprah's show has evolved into something different but there's Trisha with the same sucky 80s/90s chat show format.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
but still very well done is “War Stories our Mother’s never told us”.

Yep, that's good.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:47 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Kiwiprincess;5861962]I have to laugh though about daytime tv – It isn’t really any worse than Trisha Goddard at 10:30am

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
oh no not her! arrrrggghhhh I can't stand Trisha! Sucks big time. She's like still doing the chat format that is so old! Even Sally Jesse and Ricky don't exist anymore and Oprah's show has evolved into something different but there's Trisha with the same sucky 80s/90s chat show format.
Actually Trisha Goddard is a regular at 9am on channel 6 sky every weekday morning. The best thing is .... it is repeated every 6 - 8 weeks.