British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Just back from our recce (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/just-back-our-recce-509802/)

figa Jan 28th 2008 4:11 pm

Just back from our recce

Just back from 3 weeks in Auckland and surrounds. I have to say working in London and commuting 2 hours to and from work what a blessing it was to see a City where there is such space and the people actually smile and speak to each other! Imagine my amazement people talking to you on a bus, at the beach, in Pak n save! I cannot remember the last time I was spoken to on my train in the morning. And heaven forbid if I start a conversation Freak comes to mind!
Husband passed his interview so awaiting job offer in writing and then immigration process starts . If successful thinking of renting for a few months on North Shore until we find where we would like to settle. My reason for this update is I have one concern. Yes its sad but I was not impressed with the TV! I know you don't move to NZto stay inside but my OH will work shifts including nights and as my Daughter has decided to stay in the UK I will probably be a little lonely. So question is can we get any UK tv at all ( not a year behind) If so how do we do it? Thanks for your help

FIGA

sarahw Jan 28th 2008 5:15 pm

Re: Just back from our recce

Get a Sky box and then you'll have the UK TV channel etc. Take a look at www.skytv.co.nz to get an idea of the other channels available.

Nerine Jan 29th 2008 12:25 am

Yep, the TV is crap. If you need to keep up to date with british tv shows file-sharing could be better. Sometimes you do get UK shows on TVNZ long before uktv picks it up. Often times the ads are the only thing worth watching.

If you're thinking of NS as a place to live you could still be doing a 2 hour commute during the rush hours, depending where on the Shore you fancy living. Live as near the bridge as possible or use the bus service.

figa Jan 29th 2008 7:59 am

Thanks for your posts keep them coming still in the decision phase so watching the site with interest

westiepom Jan 29th 2008 10:33 pm

Once you've been here a while you'll stop thinking it's rubbish, it'll just be normal.
You'll get used to recording films so that you can wind on the ads, and...... drum roll..... Desparate housewives and Ugly Betty are back next week :thumbsup: :)

TeamEmbo Jan 29th 2008 10:58 pm

Erm.... perhaps they don't do up-to-date UK tv here because its, well, erm, not the UK? :blink: Just a thought :unsure:

helinuk Jan 29th 2008 11:39 pm

Some nights, depending on the schedules there is often something to watch. We only have a Freeview box (can't afford sky yet)
I miss BBC news- so read it online.
I was disappointed not to have ANY of the Australian tennis open matches on TV. - found out I could listen to the match commentaries via the web on Australian open radio. (I emailed them a 'thank you' for a great commentary and was surprised to hear it read out!)
We brought DVDs with us.
I enjoy chatting to friends on MSN and Skype and catching up with reading books I never had time to read in UK.
We enjoy sitting outside in the evening watching the sunset over the harbour and Kaimais- beats TV!
I'm working out how to adjust my lifestyle here, it's all part of the adventure.:)
To the OP.... Good luck with the job offer:)

Jude J Jan 30th 2008 12:32 am

Originally Posted by figa (Post 5849555)
Just back from 3 weeks in Auckland and surrounds. I have to say working in London and commuting 2 hours to and from work what a blessing it was to see a City where there is such space and the people actually smile and speak to each other! Imagine my amazement people talking to you on a bus, at the beach, in Pak n save! I cannot remember the last time I was spoken to on my train in the morning. And heaven forbid if I start a conversation Freak comes to mind!
Husband passed his interview so awaiting job offer in writing and then immigration process starts . If successful thinking of renting for a few months on North Shore until we find where we would like to settle. My reason for this update is I have one concern. Yes its sad but I was not impressed with the TV! I know you don't move to NZto stay inside but my OH will work shifts including nights and as my Daughter has decided to stay in the UK I will probably be a little lonely. So question is can we get any UK tv at all ( not a year behind) If so how do we do it? Thanks for your help

FIGA

I have a few friends who commute from the Shore. One uses the bus and the other drives. The one who drives starts work at about 7.30 so she misses the traffic and the one who gets the bus gets there in half hour as there is the express lane.

I have the basic sky package but I'm getting rid of it in favour of a freeview box. I do find that in the winter I snuggle up on the sofa and watch a bit of tv, its ok, I normally find something of interest!

P18PPS Jan 30th 2008 7:04 am

I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude, but if you want UK tv, then go and emmigrate to Spain!

Honestly, once you get here you will find that there is so much to do that you really won't worry about the TV. Just think of all the lovely things you can do - even if your hubby is working shifts and nights:

all those lovely walks along waterfront
drinking gorgeous coffee and cakes
sampling all the "pan-asian" foods
go to college and learn errrmm sushi making? or perhaps te reo maori?

Really don't worry about such little things as uk TV - this will pass in a very short period of time - if it doesn't then perhaps you're in the wrong place?!?!

Nerine Jan 30th 2008 7:58 am

People get terribly snotty about TV.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to watch UK television, I missed decent news programmes, science and history too. In the end we got Sky installed to catch up with what the rest of the world is thinking and doing. It doesn't do for a country to be too content with sitting and watching sunsets.

helinuk Jan 30th 2008 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5857785)

There's nothing wrong with wanting to watch UK television, I missed decent news programmes, science and history too. In the end we got Sky installed to catch up with what the rest of the world is thinking and doing. It doesn't do for a country to be too content with sitting and watching sunsets.

? What kind of reply is that ? I hope that was said in jest:)

.... so what's so wrong in enjoying a sunset?

I am a positive person who- even if they are struggling to settle into NZ, will find something positive to say to encourage someone else.
Your remark was a tad cynical. The OP needs to hear the truth - yes tv can be limited but there are other things to do here. :)

karonious Jan 30th 2008 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Nerine (Post 5857785)

I had Sky in Hamilton: never watched it. Possibly because I watch an hour of TV at the most in any given week. The girl went up to Hamilton over Xmas and New Year and I didn't switch the TV on once. If I want to be informed of the world outside, I find out on the internet as I am an internet junkie :thumbup:
Each to their own: people might knock me me for being an internet junkie; I have found I can't live without it :o But if Sky/TV is what you need to get by, do it - do it now! :thumbsup:

Elizabeth I Jan 30th 2008 9:59 am

Originally Posted by figa (Post 5849555)

FIGA

I have Sky TV and it has a UKTV channel. Don't know how outdated it is but sky is pretty entertaining. I like the living and food channels. Cost about $40bucks a month plus $20 for movies (I think). Should keep you occupied.

figa Jan 30th 2008 12:59 pm

Not averse to decent sunset or three but will miss UK football even it does mean waiting up half of the night to watch it! Having Sky will be fine. As I don't get home until 7.30pm and am in bed by 9pm I do not watch too much tv here in the UK. I agree with the posts you don't go to NZ for the tv but sometimes it is nice to snuggle up on the sofa and watch something decent!

As for live in Spain bless you for that comment! Thanks for the replies North Shore it is and Sky TV too. Take care all

Mallory Jan 30th 2008 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by sarahw (Post 5849834)
Get a Sky box and then you'll have the UK TV channel etc. Take a look at www.skytv.co.nz to get an idea of the other channels available.

why go to nz to watch uk tv? weird.