Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just arrived in wellington

Just arrived in wellington

Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice
Default Just arrived in wellington

Hi all, so we made it over. I haven't posted on here for ages, was so busy in the months leading to the move and now all of a sudden were here.
So far it's been emotional to say the least, for the first few days I was a wreck! Anxious and crying ringing home and saying I was coming home that I had made a terrible mistake. Really awful couple of days. 10 days in and I'm feeling better every day, the dog has finally arrived which has settled and unnerved me as now there really is no going back! I couldn't afford to pay for his flight again, and certainly would never leave him.
Where living in eastbourne and I have another 2 weeks off before I start work in hutt hospital. The area is beautiful and the people are really nice, I'm still having pangs of anxiety but I'm online at home now so can speak to the uk more frequently. Did anybody else have the same experience? I'm also feeling a tad lonely? I'm 24 and miss my friends, I'd love to host dinners parties and bbqs and all that fun stuff, but have no one to play with
God that sounds abit sad, eh! All in all I'm loving it, miss home, miss my mum abut slowly getting there...
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

allisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really niceallisonwantstoemigrate is just really nice
Default Re: Just arrived in wellington

Hi!

Great to hear you're settled in a bit!

I liked Welly when I visited there. At the moment I'm still trying to decide between NZ and Australia......have both the nursing registration forms printed but can't decide which to fill in! Im a childrens/school nurse who can't make a decision!!

Enjoy NZ! Keep us posted x
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:33 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shazmoo
Hi all, so we made it over. I haven't posted on here for ages, was so busy in the months leading to the move and now all of a sudden were here.
So far it's been emotional to say the least, for the first few days I was a wreck! Anxious and crying ringing home and saying I was coming home that I had made a terrible mistake. Really awful couple of days. 10 days in and I'm feeling better every day, the dog has finally arrived which has settled and unnerved me as now there really is no going back! I couldn't afford to pay for his flight again, and certainly would never leave him.
Where living in eastbourne and I have another 2 weeks off before I start work in hutt hospital. The area is beautiful and the people are really nice, I'm still having pangs of anxiety but I'm online at home now so can speak to the uk more frequently. Did anybody else have the same experience? I'm also feeling a tad lonely? I'm 24 and miss my friends, I'd love to host dinners parties and bbqs and all that fun stuff, but have no one to play with
God that sounds abit sad, eh! All in all I'm loving it, miss home, miss my mum abut slowly getting there...
It's going to be an emotional rollercoaster for you for a while yet and its going to take a good while to settle so just take things as they come. Glad to hear things are improving for you and hope your mum can come visit soon.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yay for arriving in NZ. You are still in the very early days and bound to be extremely emotional. Keep in contact with the UK, you need your loved ones for support in these early days.

Maybe for the next two weeks you can act like a bit of a tourist in Welly or even do some exploring outside of Welly - or put a post up on the meet-ups section, I am sure there are some expats who would meet you for a coffee or a glass of vino.

I moved to the UK when I was 26 and it took a full year for me to be anywhere near settled, but once settled it has been the most fulfilling, amazing experience of my life! You will find friends and you will eventually get to host your dinner parties and bbqs, it just takes time to build up those connections.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

It takes some people a few weeks others years and years.
One thing I would say about where you are is that Eastbourne doesnt get good sun in the winter and can be rather dark.
If you havent found it yet Cobar does nice food.

Good luck
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Travelqueen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey! Welcome to Wellington!!

I'm an OT and arrived here in August - and it's just continued getting better! Skypeing and emailing the UK made the biggest difference in the first month and for the first 3-4 months I really missed just having 'proper' friends to do stuff with. But it's great now and have friends from different parts of my life and the social life is much improved!

Maybe see you at a Welly meetup or something?

Good luck!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Rachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really niceRachelb82 is just really nice
Smile Re: Just arrived in wellington

Originally Posted by Shazmoo

Oh hunni

I'll be there in Nov, i'm lucky my dad moved out 3 years ago so i have someone to stay with. Once u get settled and start hosting those dinner parties i'll be expecting an invite when we arrive.
I can forward my father and step mums details on PM if u want someone local to skp to they live in Porirua. they are lovely. Let me know sure they'd love to hear from you
Old Jan 11th 2011, 9:52 am
Milana

Milana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant future

Congratulations! I spent four years in NZ and could never get a handle on it. Better luck to you! As a nurse, I moved to Tanzania, where I still live, but I'm moving to the Caribbean next summer...

@Allisonwantstoemigrate: I'd advise you to go to Australia. They are actively seeking nurses, have better family support and policies and I definitely preferred it (I've lived in both countries).
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice

Ah that's so nice Rachel, thanks! I'm ok tho, I'm plodding along, it's great speaking to people on here and I think we will hold a meet up soon!

Definitely, when u arrive Rachel we can have plenty of parties and drinks!! I'll look forward to it xx

Originally Posted by Rachelb82
Oh hunni

I'll be there in Nov, i'm lucky my dad moved out 3 years ago so i have someone to stay with. Once u get settled and start hosting those dinner parties i'll be expecting an invite when we arrive.
I can forward my father and step mums details on PM if u want someone local to skp to they live in Porirua. they are lovely. Let me know sure they'd love to hear from you
Old Jan 12th 2011, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Wellington - the coolest little capital city

Take a look at http://www.meetup.com/cities/nz/wellington/ and join one of the many activity groups that cater to all ages and interests. I've met loads of people through this and it ensure you have a ready made network and always an activity to fill your spare time.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Welcome to Wellington - the coolest little capital city

Take a look at http://www.meetup.com/cities/nz/wellington/ and join one of the many activity groups that cater to all ages and interests. I've met loads of people through this and it ensure you have a ready made network and always an activity to fill your spare time.
That's so helpful I'll certainly take a look, thanks!

How long have you been in welly?

X
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Mrbiker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya..
Hope you get those dinner parties up and running soon lol.... I'll even bring a plate of stuff to assist..

Wanted to ask, apart from family.... as a newly landed UK expats in Wellington.. can some one tell me what are the things that you miss most from the UK ?

Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrbiker
Hiya..
Hope you get those dinner parties up and running soon lol.... I'll even bring a plate of stuff to assist..

Wanted to ask, apart from family.... as a newly landed UK expats in Wellington.. can some one tell me what are the things that you miss most from the UK ?

A good Curry...
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Family and Friends...!! I had a good circle of girly mates in uk but have none here. Hard to meet people I guess. And sometimes skype just doesn't cut it!

Originally Posted by Mrbiker
Hiya..

Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Kezzar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shazmoo
How you doing?
Did you make it out on Saturday evening? I may have been introduced by your name and not username? (apologies if I did).
It was great to meet everyone though, a good night out.
Do you start work soon?