Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just arrived in Hamilton...

Just arrived in Hamilton...

Old Nov 5th 2012, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

macdonl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just arrived in Hamilton...

Just arrived in Rototuna, Hamilton with 3 kids in tow, aged 2, 7 and 9.... My Kiwi husband got here 1 month before to start a job, and I drew the short straw! Liking being here, having left temperatures of 0 degrees at home, but amazed by how quiet it is in our neighbourhood - have barely seen a soul.

Anyway, we're renting in Rototuna for now, and would love to meet up with anyone in a similar situation.

Would be good to hear from you.

Lauren
Old Nov 5th 2012, 10:26 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just arrived in Hamilton...

Welcome Lauren and family.

sorry can't help with a meet up but there are some members in your area that I'm sure will be along to give you the heads up and places to go and things to do to get yourself and family integrated into the local community.
School and Kindy would be a good place, I was amazed when my 2 started school on how many expats actually lived in the area. may not be the same for you but things will fall into place you just have to get yourself out there.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Rototuna is a bit of a soulless place, but so is most of Hamilton.
You'll find things happen and folks are more likely to be out and about at weekends.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

autawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the rough

Hi Lauren
Hope you are settling in ok. I live in Hamilton, but on the other side of town in Koromatua, around 25 mins away. I have been her since 2003. I have a 2 year and a 1 year old, if you have any questions about Hamilton or want to meet for a coffee or anything pm me We venture over that side of town around once a week

Lisa
Old Nov 6th 2012, 6:25 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lauren, I'm in Cambridge and leaving in a few weeks anyway but I just thought I'd wish you well. It can take some time to adjust to the quietness of New Zealand suburbs but have you tried just popping round and introducing yourself to your neighbours? Hopefully your school age kids will soon make friends too. Good luck- look out for Hamilton Gardens Festival in February; it's one of the best things about Hamilton and I shall be sorry not to have it on my doorstep. The closing night of the festival the Trust Waikato Orchestra play a sort of 'last night of the proms' concert complete with firework finale that is really quite impressive- wonderful evening with the family because everyone takes deck chairs and a picnic. Hamilton Gardens is a great place to take the kids and explore- though the fantasy gardens range from lovely to a quite odd.

Your 7 & 9 year olds will probably love the climbing wall too- it's got a fantastic kids' room. If you're wanting a nice outdoor pool on a warm day I suggest you make the trip to Cambridge- from where you live it'll take perhaps 30-40 mins but once here you'll love the pool; loads of grassy shady space with swings and two beautiful pools. The toddler pool is covered for shade and there are BBQs for use and it's only a couple dollars. I tried all the pools in Hamilton and didn't like any of them so much as they didn't have the relaxing, peaceful quality. Then you can do the cafe thing that Cambridge does so well!

Anyways, lovely time of year to arrive- you've got about 6 months of decent weather in front of you and despite Hamilton's gloomy reputation it does have some quite redeeming features
Old Nov 6th 2012, 8:29 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the 2nd fastest growing city in NZ. You will know this when you get annoyed by all the roadworks going on (Te Rapa, Pukete) around the north end of the city.
I echo what Bourbon Biscuit has said about popping over to the neighbours to introduce yourself. I hope you enjoy our lovely city.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 10:18 am
Just Joined

macdonl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lisa,
Would be fab to meet up. I cannot pm until I've posted one more time (site rules!) so would you mind pm-ing me so that we can arrange a catch up. About to reply to some more posts!
Thanks,
Lauren
Old Nov 28th 2012, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by macdonl
Just arrived in Rototuna, Hamilton with 3 kids in tow, aged 2, 7 and 9.... My Kiwi husband got here 1 month before to start a job, and I drew the short straw! Liking being here, having left temperatures of 0 degrees at home, but amazed by how quiet it is in our neighbourhood - have barely seen a soul.

Anyway, we're renting in Rototuna for now, and would love to meet up with anyone in a similar situation.

Would be good to hear from you.

Lauren
Hi. I'm Sarah, and am in Rototuna, just near the shops. Have been here for almost 3 & half years, and have a 3 & half yr old girl. Some parts of Rototuna do seem quiet, although being quite close to Thomas Road it doesn't seem quiet to me! I do love living here though. It took a looong while for me to meet people I could call friends, and actually some of the loveliest people I have met, have been from this forum If you want to chat or meet or just ask more questions feel free to PM me if you can do that now.