British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Just arrived (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/just-arrived-897283/)

meggiemoomoo1234 May 27th 2017 7:43 pm

Just arrived

Hi I'm in tauranga for a couple of days and was hoping if any ex pats were around for a coffee today as feeling a bit overwhelmed as come over without the family and was hoping if a family may fancy a chat and any advice while I'm here, sorry I'm just feeling very anxious as so far from family thank you x

MrsFychan May 28th 2017 8:05 pm

Re: Just arrived

Hi Meg, not near you but happy to chat.
local libraries usually have lists of clubs etc if you want to meet people or there is meetup.com, just look in your local area and obviously look at FB groups

meggiemoomoo1234 May 28th 2017 8:25 pm

Thank you for your reply I'm off to meet the new boss and have a look around some areas that would be good to live with my family have been recommended Bethlehem any advice on papamoa area is low lying is that something I should worry about I'm not worried about budget more about good location to bring up 12 year old and 17 year old with my husband so would be great to have a look today as on way back to uk Wednesday x

escapedtonz May 28th 2017 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by meggiemoomoo1234 (Post 12261962)
Thank you for your reply I'm off to meet the new boss and have a look around some areas that would be good to live with my family have been recommended Bethlehem any advice on papamoa area is low lying is that something I should worry about I'm not worried about budget more about good location to bring up 12 year old and 17 year old with my husband so would be great to have a look today as on way back to uk Wednesday x

Hi,
Sorry. We were about yesterday but had to stay home for a late morning sofa collection then had a prior engagement in Bethlehem in the afternoon.
Unfortunately I'm now on 12 hr day shifts till Wednesday, so if you're still around on Wednesday daytime you could maybe swing by for a brew on your way to the airport ??? :thumbsup:
We in Te Puna, just off SH2 and house isn't out of your way. Send me a PM for the address if you wanna swing by.

The best area to live if you want suburbia is Bethlehem. It offers everything a person needs, shops, community stuff, churches, great schools and a good shopping area and has quick access in to Tauranga (10 mins). There are a few constraints building with traffic at peak times but they should be resolved in the years to come with the new Northern Link which should be commissioned by 2022. Unfortunately SH2 to Auckland passes straight through Bethlehem so all traffic going North of Bethlehem has to pass through there until that bypass is built.
Other than Bethlehem, if you wish to keep with the new-ish suburbia theme then early Pyes Pa is probably the next best (Northern Pyes Pa on a map, but the kiwi's here call it early :huh:), then maybe Otumoetai/Bureta/Cherrywood.
If you want to try rural then West is best so Te Puna, Whakamarama, Omokoroa.
We did consider Papamoa at one stage but discounted it for a couple of reasons....
Travel time to my work in Hamilton, it's is a bit rough around the edges and it's also nicknamed Pommiemoa since there's so many British ex. pats living there. Fine if you wanna live near the beach I suppose.
There is also the fact as you mention that Pap is so low lying and often has flooding issues. It is also an area at risk if there should ever be a Tsunami.

Hope all goes well meeting the boss :eek:

meggiemoomoo1234 May 29th 2017 4:57 am

Thank you so much for all your information it has really helped, my meeting went really well, and hope to start in October, unfortunately I will not be able to make it for that cuppa but will definitely contact you when I'm back over for that brew, take care x

meggiemoomoo1234 May 29th 2017 5:01 am

Sorry not sure if my last message was sent, thank you for all your information it had really helped, unfortunately I'm not going to be able to have that brew as will be leaving for uk early Wednesday, will defo take you up on that brew when I come back which all being well should be around October xx

MrsCakey May 29th 2017 12:21 pm

Good luck with the October start date. We should be over around that time too (fingers crossed) so perhaps a meetup would be good :)

meggiemoomoo1234 May 29th 2017 7:56 pm

Thank you for your message, good luck with your move too and would love you meet up when you arrive to, where are you moving from?

MrsCakey Jun 2nd 2017 5:24 pm

We are coming from Cambs/Lincs border. Definitely let's keep in touch :)