British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Journey to UK with 3 kids - alone (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/journey-uk-3-kids-alone-776015/)

monsterpie Oct 29th 2012 12:19 am

Journey to UK with 3 kids - alone

Am I mad to think it might be possible? Has anyone done this? Kids ages would be 4, 2 and 9 months. Really want to go home for a visit before the eldest starts school, but husband is fed up of using up all his annual leave to go to the UK.

simonsi Oct 29th 2012 1:11 am

Re: Journey to UK with 3 kids - alone

Depends on the temperament of all involved (and a bit of luck), it would fry me so I wouldn't do it.

autawa Oct 29th 2012 1:47 am

Originally Posted by monsterpie (Post 10354609)
Am I mad to think it might be possible? Has anyone done this? Kids ages would be 4, 2 and 9 months. Really want to go home for a visit before the eldest starts school, but husband is fed up of using up all his annual leave to go to the UK.

Hi, i have just done this trip with my 2 and 1 year old alone!! I won't lie, it was hard. You just have to be very organised. Are you going to have your 9 month old on your knee? I bought a seat for my one year old and im so glad i did, you need your hands free at all time. 2 year olds can slip out from under the lap belt and think its funny to run around the plane, meanwhile you have 2 other children to watch, its tricky!! Although at 9 months they maybe a bit small.Meal times were hard work, food going everywhere!! I hardly ate myself the whole trip.
I packed lots of cheap small toys for the journery and lots of snacks to.
The connections are hard, i had 2 peices of hand luggage, one year old in a sling and my 2 year old running of in every direction possible, they get very over tired and grumpy. Then there is passport control, waiting for suitcases, managing a trolley, pram, bags ect when you get to your destantion. Im not trying to put you of, just being honest!! And not many people offer to help!
It also depends what your kids are like, mine are pretty crusiy most of the time, and they were pretty good on the plane, considering how far it is, its just trying to keep them entertaned for such a long time!! ? We flew with emirates and i found them to be good, but you have to ask for help a lot. I wouldn't do it again in a hurry on my own, but it was worth it when we got there and had an amazing time with the family, if you want to ask anything else please do!:) The only thing that puts me of having a thrid baby is the thought of taking them all home alone!! :D

Justcol Oct 29th 2012 4:02 am

If you do go let me know what flight you get so i can avoid it.

Crying children and long haul flights do not mix well

Genesis Oct 29th 2012 4:37 am

Possible..but is it worth it? It will be the longest flight ever for you. I would not ever ever do it alone. Come to think of it .... it does not seem possible!!!!!! You are very brave or very keen to have a holiday in the UK. Bloody expensive too! Good luck!

monsterpie Oct 29th 2012 5:04 am

Been here 10 years almost, so used to doing the long haul flight. Done it by myself with child 1 when he was 9 months and then with husband and 2 kids when they were 3 and 1. The 4 year old and 9 month old wouldn't be a problem, but the 2 year old would I suspect. We call him 'Dan the Destroyer'.

Trying to find someone travelling to the UK at the same time who can travel with me, but otherwise would have to do it alone.

simonsi Oct 29th 2012 6:36 am

Actually, check with the airline, I am not sure they would allow such a mix of children with only 1 adult - it may go against their safety criteria - lets face it, many swimming pools would frown on such a mix....

luvwelly Oct 29th 2012 12:14 pm

Fly with Air NZ via LA going out of Auckland late evening and the connections bit will be easier....i.e. you get off plane, go into holding pen - get called up to do fingerprints - all within a few square metres, then 2 hours later you go back on same plane.

Think OH maybe needs to face up to his role as joint parent - a bit unreasonable to expect you to cope with 3 so young alone on 24 hour flight.

There will be many years when you do not return to UK at all and therefore he will not have to use up his (pathetic NZ) annual leave.

Jan n Neil Oct 31st 2012 3:37 am

Don,t do it alone :(

Neil

TommyLuck Nov 2nd 2012 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 10355412)
Think OH maybe needs to face up to his role as joint parent - a bit unreasonable to expect you to cope with 3 so young alone on 24 hour flight.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

I both admire and think you're a lunatic in equal measure for contemplating this.

Loubielou Nov 5th 2012 11:01 pm

I do it every year with 2 little ones...have to go back pretty regularly for family related reasons and i have done it while pregnant with a 1 yr old and then every year since...they are now 4 and 3 and i think the trick is getting organised, have with you stuff they like to play with etc...try and get at least one leg at night time- easier when they just sleep, lollipops on take off and landing to help prevent ear problems, try and have a stopover (have done both ways and much better with a break)!
It is hard, but mine have been great usually...when they were smaller they just slept well in the bassinet, think the movement of the plane lulled them to sleep...now they are a bit older they will watch the tv. I always expect the journey to be a complete nightmare so anything better than that is a bonus! And i always have some vallergan (antihistamine medicine that has a sedative effect) with me in case of emergency!! Not had to use yet thankfully!!

ellenarosemary Nov 5th 2012 11:51 pm

Try and get a flight that leaves later in the evening/night so at least they will probably be tired/asleep for the first half at least. Just done UK to Auckland via Dubai with three children, 9, 6 & 5 - first half left at 22:00 and they were asleep for most of the journey to Dubai, plane 1 and a half hours late leaving Dubai to Brisbane, again for quite a bit they were asleep. Problems started just out of Brisbane and again it was late leaving and the 2 and a half hour flight to Auckland. They were by this time, tired and fidgetty after having to sit still for so long. Also let them run around between flights as much as possible (if age permits) as this also tires them out.

Quite honestly they werent as bad as I had feared - we flew with Emirates and they were brilliant with toys and freebies to keep them amused.

Hard on your own, I know, but dont be put off - particularly if you want to visit the UK before your child starts school.

Good luck.

simonsi Nov 6th 2012 12:10 am

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 10367855)
Just done UK to Auckland via Dubai with three children, 9, 6 & 5

Might be just me but 4, 2 and 9 months is a world away from 9, 6 and 5 TBH....

ellenarosemary Nov 6th 2012 12:16 am

True but still 3 children all the same - and most of my comments apply at any age (albeit the baby). At least for some of the time whilst in the airport/transit the youngest will hopefully be in a buggy (or similar) which is one less to worry about running off.

hazeandsteve Nov 6th 2012 4:12 am

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 10367855)
Quite honestly they werent as bad as I had feared....

...but were they as bad as the three hundred people who cursed as they saw you at the check in desk/gate feared?
I had a mother bouncing off the back of my seat as she rocked her screaming baby. I had earplugs in under my headset which cancelled the noise pretty much, so obviously need a physical reminder of their presence. Lovely......:banghead: