Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Journey from Auckland to Wellington

Journey from Auckland to Wellington

Old May 22nd 2005, 5:21 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Journey from Auckland to Wellington

In early Aug I'll be driving from Auckland to Welly and wondered if anyone had done this journey before. Where should I make a point of going - anything really unmissable to see en route? I'd quite like to do it in a day if poss or maybe with a stop over - any suggestions?
Cheers
Biddy
Old May 22nd 2005, 5:35 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Journey from Auckland to Wellington

Originally Posted by Biddy
In early Aug I'll be driving from Auckland to Welly and wondered if anyone had done this journey before. Where should I make a point of going - anything really unmissable to see en route? I'd quite like to do it in a day if poss or maybe with a stop over - any suggestions?
Cheers
Biddy
It's actually a long & lonely trek with a few bits where you'd think you are lost in the Highlands of Scotand - it's plenty to do in a day so start early if that's your intention.

Better IMHO to split it into 2 days and divert to New Plymouth, see Taranaki en route.
Old May 22nd 2005, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Biddy
Hi Biddy,
Try Taupo, we used to stay at a motel called The Ancorage, right over the road from the Lake. It was clean, big enough, had a pool and nice warm spar pool where you could sit and watch the lake. Had a very happy Christmas day there with family visiting from the UK, stinking hot, champagne by the pool. great spot. Also there is a lovely thermal pool place on the road to Napier about 15 mins from taupo called Debretts, good for adults and big slide for kids. Also look at creters of the moon, all the geothermic stuff going on, very interesting and very, very hot.
Looks like you need a couple of days then!
KAZ
Old May 22nd 2005, 8:58 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Hi Biddy,
Try Taupo, we used to stay at a motel called The Ancorage, right over the road from the Lake. It was clean, big enough, had a pool and nice warm spar pool where you could sit and watch the lake. Had a very happy Christmas day there with family visiting from the UK, stinking hot, champagne by the pool. great spot. Also there is a lovely thermal pool place on the road to Napier about 15 mins from taupo called Debretts, good for adults and big slide for kids. Also look at creters of the moon, all the geothermic stuff going on, very interesting and very, very hot.
Looks like you need a couple of days then!
KAZ
Right - so definetely a 2 day trip then! I'd love to see Taupo so that may well be on the agenda, cheers for that.
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:04 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

Right - so definetely a 2 day trip then! I'd love to see Taupo so that may well be on the agenda, cheers for that.
Hi Biddy,

We went to Taupo.. it was chocka! that was because it was holiday time and we hadn't seen traffic like it in all the months we'd been in NZ.. it really was busy. Our lad needed the toilet so we went into Macdonalds and we could hardly get through the throng of people in there!!! the traffic coming in was incredible.. very very busy place... but such a lovely town and the lake is beautiful.. there again all the NZ lakes are beautiful.
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:14 pm
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by Debs70
Hi Biddy,

We went to Taupo.. it was chocka! that was because it was holiday time and we hadn't seen traffic like it in all the months we'd been in NZ.. it really was busy. Our lad needed the toilet so we went into Macdonalds and we could hardly get through the throng of people in there!!! the traffic coming in was incredible.. very very busy place... but such a lovely town and the lake is beautiful.. there again all the NZ lakes are beautiful.
I would imagine in August there'll just be a few diehards braving the winter - spect I'll get a parking space!
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:06 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Biddy
Ive driven from Auckland to Wellington more times that I care to remember haven driven several different ways but my favourite way was also straight down the middle & always making Taupo my pit stop for the night. Taupo is full of lovely motels on the lake front so you shouldn't have any problems finding somewhere nice to stay. After a long drive there is nothing more relaxing that being able to sit back & look out across the lake. The journey through the dessert road area gets a bit boring but the rest of the journey is really something. Driving from Taupo to Wellington is no problem the next day either. Which ever way you decide to travel I'm sure you will enjoy it as the roads are all fairly decent & the scenery isn't too bad either. August wont be too busy then but if you decide to go through the middle you might find the desert road area a might on the chilly side. If its been snowing that road sometimes is closed so best check before you set off from Auckland. Hope this helps a little.

Cheers
Shepslady
Old May 23rd 2005, 8:16 am
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by shepslady
Hi Biddy
Ive driven from Auckland to Wellington more times that I care to remember haven driven several different ways but my favourite way was also straight down the middle & always making Taupo my pit stop for the night. Taupo is full of lovely motels on the lake front so you shouldn't have any problems finding somewhere nice to stay. After a long drive there is nothing more relaxing that being able to sit back & look out across the lake. The journey through the dessert road area gets a bit boring but the rest of the journey is really something. Driving from Taupo to Wellington is no problem the next day either. Which ever way you decide to travel I'm sure you will enjoy it as the roads are all fairly decent & the scenery isn't too bad either. August wont be too busy then but if you decide to go through the middle you might find the desert road area a might on the chilly side. If its been snowing that road sometimes is closed so best check before you set off from Auckland. Hope this helps a little.

Cheers
Shepslady
Good info Mrs Shep - looks like it's Taupo for the night then.
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Good info Mrs Shep - looks like it's Taupo for the night then.
Hi Biddy,
Looks like you've already made up your mind, but I'd also recommend Taupo. We went in August and not only is it quiet, but it's also stunning.
Take a look :-

http://www.laketauponz.com/imagegallery.cfm

I'd also recommend the drive over to New Plymouth. There are some gorgeous beaches over that side.

Mark
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:42 pm
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by Markk
Hi Biddy,
Looks like you've already made up your mind, but I'd also recommend Taupo. We went in August and not only is it quiet, but it's also stunning.
Take a look :-

http://www.laketauponz.com/imagegallery.cfm

I'd also recommend the drive over to New Plymouth. There are some gorgeous beaches over that side.

Mark
Thanks Markk appreciated
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:11 pm
Don
Banned

If you're diverting to Taupo, you MUST see the wee falls, I forget their name, somebody refresh please.
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:16 pm
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by Don
If you're diverting to Taupo, you MUST see the wee falls, I forget their name, somebody refresh please.
The wee falls eh - must be something like 'Golden Shower' or the 'little piddle'?
Old May 23rd 2005, 5:47 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don
Not sure if your meaning The Huka Falls or not Don but they are worth a look for sure
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:08 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by shepslady
Not sure if your meaning The Huka Falls or not Don but they are worth a look for sure
That's the one.
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:09 pm
Don
Banned

The wee falls eh - must be something like 'Golden Shower' or the 'little piddle'?
That's not the one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.