Jolly days

Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

cookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to all
Default Jolly days

Hey just wondering where people in NZ go for a holiday other than oz?

Quite fancy a week or so away, maybe bali or fiji. where is cheap to go from here?

Where is New Zealands, Spain?

Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:22 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jolly days

Originally Posted by cookie2b

Quite fancy a week or so away, maybe bali or fiji. where is cheap to go from here?
South Island?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

cookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to all

Originally Posted by simonsi
South Island?
We went to the south island just before xmas Queenstown was AMAZING and we are going again at xmas when the family come over too so was thinking of somewhere outside of NZ.....(of course only if hubby refrains frm giving allllll of our $'s to the transport police )

Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:39 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the south island just before xmas Queenstown was AMAZING and we are going again at xmas when the family come over too so was thinking of somewhere outside of NZ.....(of course only if hubby refrains frm giving allllll of our $'s to the transport police )

Ah, well in that case rejoice that you are already in South Island's "Spain"

Options are a bit limited for a week but excluding Oz. I think the Pacific Islands and Indonesia are your choices distance/time wise, you could do Japan but that won't be cheap...

Get Hubby an old Road Angel from the UK, set it to bleep at a speed of 50Km/h as a reminder
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Ah, well in that case rejoice that you are already in South Island's "Spain"

Options are a bit limited for a week but excluding Oz. I think the Pacific Islands and Indonesia are your choices distance/time wise, you could do Japan but that won't be cheap...

Get Hubby an old Road Angel from the UK, set it to bleep at a speed of 50Km/h as a reminder
I am indeed rejoicing hoping for a trip to the bay of islands soon! (i know i want it all lol trying to make the most of my year off )

Im hoping for 10 days maybe, bali is a long flight for just a week. (i didn't realise how long until just)

As for hubby......any more and I will most probably combust and become a living breathing, bleeping road angel
:curse:
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We are off to Rarotonga (Cook Islands) again this year, we last went in 2007 & it was fabulous. It depends on the standard of accommodation you want to how cheap it is. But you can get some good deals.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
We are off to Rarotonga (Cook Islands) again this year, we last went in 2007 & it was fabulous. It depends on the standard of accommodation you want to how cheap it is. But you can get some good deals.
Hey thanks for the heads up,

def worth a look! any ideas on websits that are good to get an idea of prices?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:32 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Where is New Zealands, Spain?

This was something that we weren't prepared for - in the UK we were used to 3 holidays a year (a fortnight in the med and then 2 one weekers in cottages and/or camping). It is incredibly expensive to get out of NZ - a lot of kiwis use a bach for their holiday (or camping) - we're a family of 5 and it is a massive financial commitment to fly anywhere.... didn't manage it last year.

But if you're a singleton or without children then it's a different kettle of fish - the sunshine coast of Aus seems to be a favorite, otherwise the islands, skiing in the south island.... so jealous!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by P18PPS
This was something that we weren't prepared for - in the UK we were used to 3 holidays a year (a fortnight in the med and then 2 one weekers in cottages and/or camping). It is incredibly expensive to get out of NZ - a lot of kiwis use a bach for their holiday (or camping) - we're a family of 5 and it is a massive financial commitment to fly anywhere.... didn't manage it last year.

But if you're a singleton or without children then it's a different kettle of fish - the sunshine coast of Aus seems to be a favorite, otherwise the islands, skiing in the south island.... so jealous!
Yeah same for us we are used to a couple of breaks a year normally a big hol and then somewhere for my bday (we did a long wknd in majorca last year) however our son is now 3 and no longer an infant. I think i really fancy an island get away its to tempting be so much closer to them than we are in the UK. :0)
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Like Cookie,

we are wondering where most do people go?
We usually do the all inclusive thing from the uk for a couple of weeks, so i'd like to know if we can still do this sort of Hol or will it be totally different?.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:37 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it will depend on how you prioritise things once you get here - for instance stretching yourselves on a mortgage or ensuring your holiday fund is intact!!

The islands are definately appealing and 6 years in I'm still waiting to explore them, however don't forget that NZ is such a beautiful place and I'm sure, for a while at least, you'll want to explore NZ, and you can do this by camping or using a bach. The style of family holiday for us has just shifted away from the all inclusive/hotel holidays to the camping on the beach with boogie boards and BBQs instead. If you have children, I can really recommend this style of holiday - it is truly wonderful to see your children finding joy in messing around all day long on the beach, not washing for a week at a time and enjoying running around with dirty feet and clothes for a week - somehow they forget the TV, and the video games and are perfectly happy to pay card games and hide and seek around tents at night instead!

But then again I could just be justifying my budget holiday over a luxury 5* break on a pacific island somewhere!!!!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by P18PPS
I guess it will depend on how you prioritise things once you get here - for instance stretching yourselves on a mortgage or ensuring your holiday fund is intact!!

The islands are definately appealing and 6 years in I'm still waiting to explore them, however don't forget that NZ is such a beautiful place and I'm sure, for a while at least, you'll want to explore NZ, and you can do this by camping or using a bach. The style of family holiday for us has just shifted away from the all inclusive/hotel holidays to the camping on the beach with boogie boards and BBQs instead. If you have children, I can really recommend this style of holiday - it is truly wonderful to see your children finding joy in messing around all day long on the beach, not washing for a week at a time and enjoying running around with dirty feet and clothes for a week - somehow they forget the TV, and the video games and are perfectly happy to pay card games and hide and seek around tents at night instead!

But then again I could just be justifying my budget holiday over a luxury 5* break on a pacific island somewhere!!!!
hey no i think your right to a degree,
we have camped twice since we have been here an its great, we just really fancy a resort holiday (we are lucky in that we dont have a mortgage at the moment just a rental although that isn't cheap lol just cheaper) we know that next year once we do it won't really be an option.

Wes if its what your after maybe have a little fund towards it so that you dont feel there is a compromise when you get here.

The truth is its an indulgence but hey you got to have something lol our excuse is we are both t total so no big nights out or drinking etc an neither of us smoke or gamble or are particularly 'spendy' anymore and we haven't had a honey moon yet........(I could go on and on with excuses! Can you tell iv wore hubby down)

I completely agree though that if you cant for whatever reason it isn't the nd of the world
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey thanks for the heads up,

def worth a look! any ideas on websits that are good to get an idea of prices?
I thought I posted this yesterday but it disappeared into the ether .

Try AirNZ holidays, Flight Centre, United Travel & Harvey Travel or you could get in touch with the Cook Islands tourist board & find out about local rentals which may be much cheaper than the resorts.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix

Just looking at it now.... Looks a gorgeous place.. Good prices too..

Thanks..

Last edited by Wessa; Feb 17th 2011 at 10:13 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:13 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Try http://www.kkabanas.co.ck/ We stayed there for 9 nights on our way back last May....lovely people, reasonably priced, simple accom but clean, checked out the hillside 'villas' run by the same family ...bit more upmarket with lovely views. Not cheap to eat out, we managed to self cater except for one evening wished we'd taken some take some duty free booze ....a must if you want anything other than beer IMO.
Wonderful chilled out 9 nights stop over though