Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

John Mason - good, bad or plain ugly?!

John Mason - good, bad or plain ugly?!

Old Apr 16th 2009, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default John Mason - good, bad or plain ugly?!

we're just shy of signing the dotted line with John Mason for our removals... all the 'reviews' i've seen of them have been similar to crown.. ie generally a 'good' experience

(though their nz agent moving company perhaps not rated so highly!!!)

however, on another thread today, hippychic reports problems recently with them

just wondered if anyone else have comments on them before i commit myself fully!!

cheers!!
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of
Default Re: John Mason - good, bad or plain ugly?!

Hi Stoof. We had John Mason come round week before last week to survey all our belongings & submit a quote to hubbys future employer (they're paying for the shipping). I couldnt be at home at the time, but hubby said he didnt get a very good impression of the company or their rep. apparently he didnt make any conversation, offer any advice, answer questions in much detail, and he left us with just a business card. then when copy of the itinery came through they'd missed few things off. Crown came out 3 days later, made a great impression on hubby, very professional answered loads of questions, made the effort to stay & talk, left us with loads of information... I think we'll both feel better using Crown. But this I suppose doesnt help you as you must had received good impressions of them to be just shy of signing up?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Old Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

John Mason's were excellent, moved us when we originaly had to relocate with company on three year placement and then we used them when we had to do it under our own steam.

They have been around for years and all of my work mates used them without any real problems,usual stuff, odd item broken. One of my mates told me that they virtually moved a whole street of people from Barrow in Furness to Australia.

Good look and enjoy your new life, you'll love it
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all

I found John Masons to be very good, as were the moving company when we got to the other end. No complaints.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of

I found John Mason to be ok and The Moving Company shocking. When I rang them asking when we could expect our belongings, I was told they couldn't tell me where it was or when it would arrive. It eventually took 12 weeks after I'd been given a 6-8 week estimate.

Apparently John Mason used a cheaper shipping agent to get our container here which took a longer route and also the container had been sat on a dockside for days waiting for the next ship to come along and pick it up.

When we eventually got our stuff we were told by The Moving Company that MAF wanted to check through our stuff and were charged over $750 for the privilege. Only $200 or so actually went to MAF and the rest was a handling charge for the Moving Company.

You need to check out these two things with John Mason before committing.