British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Joe Bennett "A Land Of Two Halves: Looking For A Lift In Both New (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/joe-bennett-land-two-halves-looking-lift-both-new-309662/)

Pompey_Paul Jun 21st 2005 8:54 am

Joe Bennett "A Land Of Two Halves: Looking For A Lift In Both New

Zealands"
Hi
I have tried to get this book from all the usual suspects and have failed....anyone wanna sell me a copy?....ive got time to burn at the moment.
Thanks

bookemjano Jun 21st 2005 9:12 am

Re: Joe Bennett "A Land Of Two Halves: Looking For A Lift In Both New

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Zealands"
Hi
I have tried to get this book from all the usual suspects and have failed....anyone wanna sell me a copy?....ive got time to burn at the moment.
Thanks

www.amazon.com - some private sellers have copies of it new and used with international shipping

Pompey_Paul Jun 21st 2005 9:27 am

Originally Posted by bookemjano
www.amazon.com - some private sellers have copies of it new and used with international shipping

Hi
Yeah.....i ordered ... paid ...then got an e-mail saying its not available...like ever.

Cheers

80s Chick Jun 21st 2005 12:16 pm

Zealands"
Hi
Thanks

You can't even get it through Portsmouth City Libraries 'cos I've checked. Sent you a PM may be able to help.

Phyl

80s Chick Jun 21st 2005 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by 80s Chick
You can't even get it through Portsmouth City Libraries 'cos I've checked. Sent you a PM may be able to help.

Phyl

Just realised it's an entirely different book to the one we've got. Sorry, can't help, but these people might be able to:

www.abebooks.com

Kind regards

Phyl

Pompey_Paul Jun 21st 2005 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by 80s Chick
Just realised it's an entirely different book to the one we've got. Sorry, can't help, but these people might be able to:

www.abebooks.com

Kind regards

Phyl

Thanks...i will let you know how i get on

Regards Paul

Munchkin Jun 21st 2005 1:16 pm

Thanks...i will let you know how i get on

Regards Paul

Are you in the UK Paul?

I bought the book some months ago in a Waterstones three fro the price of two offer.

I noticed it's just been republished. They had it on display in the Travel section at my branch (Nottingham).

:)

Pompey_Paul Jun 21st 2005 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Munchkin
Are you in the UK Paul?

I bought the book some months ago in a Waterstones three fro the price of two offer.

I noticed it's just been republished. They had it on display in the Travel section at my branch (Nottingham).

Good News.............Wifey came up trumps today....just as you said..Travel Section!

If anybody would like to borrow it when we have finished ..let me know.

Thanks to all

Sparkle2nite Jun 21st 2005 2:09 pm

Good News.............Wifey came up trumps today....just as you said..Travel Section!

If anybody would like to borrow it when we have finished ..let me know.

Thanks to all

Hi Paul

What's it about? I realise NZ, doh, but what exactly is it? New here, hello!

Debbie

Munchkin Jun 21st 2005 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
Hi Paul

Debbie

It's written by a chap who went out there about 15 years ago intending to teach in NZ for a year then move on to Australia.

But he liked NZ so much he stayed.

From what I can recall he finds himself at the point of wondering if he wants to stay in NZ or come back to the UK.

He decides it's best to make that decision from the standpoint of having actually seen what NZ has to offer so hitchhikes the length and breadth of the country before making his decision.

From what I recall he was settled in the South Island and ended his journey at the northenmost point of the North Island.

Munchkin :)

Pompey_Paul Jun 21st 2005 5:39 pm

It's written by a chap who went out there about 15 years ago intending to teach in NZ for a year then move on to Australia.

But he liked NZ so much he stayed.

From what I can recall he finds himself at the point of wondering if he wants to stay in NZ or come back to the UK.

He decides it's best to make that decision from the standpoint of having actually seen what NZ has to offer so hitchhikes the length and breadth of the country before making his decision.

From what I recall he was settled in the South Island and ended his journey at the northenmost point of the North Island.

Munchkin :)

I bet you are really annoying to sit next to during Films :rolleyes:

DOH you told me the end :)

Only Kidding

Munchkin Jun 21st 2005 6:07 pm

Only Kidding

Now, now.

I didn't tell you whether hedecided to come back to old Blighty now did I?

;)

Munchkin Jun 21st 2005 6:10 pm

Only Kidding

Now, now.

I didn't tell you whether he decided to come back to old Blighty now did I?

;)

Pompey_Paul Jun 21st 2005 8:13 pm

Now, now.

I didn't tell you whether he decided to come back to old Blighty now did I?

;)

Dont know what Paul is getting excited about as I intend to read it first, I desperately need some light relief from 1sat year soc science degree which I am sure will be worthwhile eventually, but at the minute feels like trying to run through mud!!

I actually want to sneak a look at the end now to see what he does - oh can I resist it - keep watching this space to find out!!!!!!!

bookemjano Jun 21st 2005 9:15 pm

Hi
Yeah.....i ordered ... paid ...then got an e-mail saying its not available...like ever.

Cheers

That's just happened to me with the New Zealand Road Atlas! Buggers! I've already waited 9 weeks for it, they've took the money and now they tell me it's not in stock and not likely to be. Need a drink.

(You know you need help when you get really excited at the thought of getting a road atlas, my sanity is in jeopardy.)

Pompey_Paul Jun 22nd 2005 8:55 am

That's just happened to me with the New Zealand Road Atlas! Buggers! I've already waited 9 weeks for it, they've took the money and now they tell me it's not in stock and not likely to be. Need a drink.

(You know you need help when you get really excited at the thought of getting a road atlas, my sanity is in jeopardy.)

Hi
They will refund you though....Wifey got the book from ....get this..... wait for it......a real shop!

Try this link it writes routes that you can print off ....for NZ that is

http://www.wises.co.nz/route/

Do you think it would be a good idea to start a thread where everyone could post any really helpfull links ...with a brief explanation?

sunshine_and_rain Jun 22nd 2005 10:29 am

Hi Paul

Debbie

Welcome Debbie - and K sent your way.

sunshine_and_rain Jun 22nd 2005 10:31 am

I can send you one if you like from here?? PM me if you want one - there are lots of FREE maps here of all the areas at all the motels etc - I can collect them for you as well??

Biddy Jun 22nd 2005 10:46 am

Hi

Do you think it would be a good idea to start a thread where everyone could post any really helpfull links ...with a brief explanation?

What a great idea!

Think we might have one already at top of page! ;)

sunshine_and_rain Jun 22nd 2005 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Biddy
What a great idea!

LOL. Less of the sarcasm!! ;) Just like ot say:......

LI-ONS, LI-ONS, LI-ONS

Heck Saturday is getting closer - and my nerves are getting more and more frazzled!! I want them to win so badly it hurts!

Right back to the Really Useful Thread........ :rolleyes:

bookemjano Jun 22nd 2005 11:09 am

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
I can send you one if you like from here?? PM me if you want one - there are lots of FREE maps here of all the areas at all the motels etc - I can collect them for you as well??

Thank you so much, will PM you, have sent you Karma you lovely person!

Pompey_Paul Jun 22nd 2005 12:21 pm

What a great idea!

LOL yes......i think what i mean is for a list of web links catalogued in a usable order......... ;)

Something like this:

NZ Employment
NZ Travel
NZ Property for sale
NZ Property for Rent
NZ Tourism
NZ Auto's
NZ Official Stuff
THE LIONS Official website........all available from one initial link.

It may be the tablets kicking in though :beer:

Sparkle2nite Jun 22nd 2005 3:34 pm

Thank you for the 'hello's' and K....which I presume is karma, but don't know how that works???? Sorry if I appear thick (which of course I am.......but happy....), could you explain how karma works?

Sunshine, we are hoping to go to BOP, it sounds beautiful. OH is in IT and the BOP really appeals to him (he loves the sun), but looking at job sites it doesn't seem to have much call for his line of work?

WH Smiffs have NZ road atlas's........I've been looking at them.....whilst wearing my anorak, which was nice..... :D :D :D :D

Debbie

sunshine_and_rain Jun 22nd 2005 8:45 pm

Thank you for the 'hello's' and K....which I presume is karma, but don't know how that works???? Sorry if I appear thick (which of course I am.......but happy....), could you explain how karma works?

Sunshine, we are hoping to go to BOP, it sounds beautiful. OH is in IT and the BOP really appeals to him (he loves the sun), but looking at job sites it doesn't seem to have much call for his line of work?

WH Smiffs have NZ road atlas's........I've been looking at them.....whilst wearing my anorak, which was nice..... :D :D :D :D

Debbie

BOP is a great place to live - although the BOI is probably warmer. There is soooo much to do around here though, you can't get bored. Not sure about IT jobs as myself and OH are both in Health - although the DHB (Distric t Health Board has an IT department) - www.lakesdhb.govt.nz. There is also a big hospital at Tauranga, might be worth getting in touch?? If I hear of anyone with OH etc in IT I will ask for you -but don't think I do know anyone?? Sorry. Welcome to BE - and look forward to seeing more of you here :)

Biddy Jun 22nd 2005 8:58 pm

LOL yes......i think what i mean is for a list of web links catalogued in a usable order......... ;)

Something like this:

NZ Employment
NZ Travel
NZ Property for sale
NZ Property for Rent
NZ Tourism
NZ Auto's
NZ Official Stuff
THE LIONS Official website........all available from one initial link.

It may be the tablets kicking in though :beer:

Yeah - makes sense........loads of links though to manage - I must have about 60 NZ ones in my favourites already!

Sounds like a job for you Paul - seeing as you've time on your hands and everything ;)

Pinkie Pie Jun 22nd 2005 9:03 pm

Yeah - makes sense........loads of links though to manage - I must have about 60 NZ ones in my favourites already!

Sounds like a job for you Paul - seeing as you've time on your hands and everything ;)

Seconded...all in favour...over to you it is then Paul....:D

Biddy Jun 22nd 2005 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie

Right, that's sorted. What other jobs can we dish out?

Pompey_Paul Jun 22nd 2005 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie

I'll get right on it!........starting with the links that are already on the really useful thread.... :beer:

Pinkie Pie Jun 22nd 2005 11:35 pm

I'll get right on it!........starting with the links that are already on the really useful thread.... :beer:

Good man...knew we could rely on you http://www.sheknows.com/graphics/emoticons/clap.gif

(specially seeings as your virtually housebound at the minute and probably bored rotten!! :D Hope the leg is feeling a bit better - it was your leg wasn't it?)

Pompey_Paul Jun 23rd 2005 6:40 pm

I have made a start ....just need to put the links in now!

http://www.thisisfengshui.com/expats/home.htm

What do you think?

I know a few links to tidy up! :beer:

Pinkie Pie Jun 23rd 2005 7:24 pm

I have made a start ....just need to put the links in now!

http://www.thisisfengshui.com/expats/home.htm

What do you think?

I know a few links to tidy up! :beer:

Well, I think you deserve the "smarty pants" award for the evening...http://www.sheknows.com/graphics/emoticons/yourock.gif

big round of applause for pompey_paul...... http://tcwozere.co.uk/smileys/clap.gif

might even send you some karma you clever thing.....

well done!!! :D

Pompey_Paul Jun 29th 2005 6:12 pm

Finished the book yesterday.....a really good read and insight into the Kiwi way of life........any others to reccomend? :rolleyes:

Franklin Jun 29th 2005 6:53 pm

Zealands"
Hi
Thanks

Is there a north/side divided in NZ? ... "anything north of Watford" ... kind of thing?

Pompey_Paul Jun 29th 2005 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Franklin
Is there a north/side divided in NZ? ... "anything north of Watford" ... kind of thing?

Apart from the obvious North South Island thing?.....

Yes there seems to be a bit of that going on ...on the North Island :)

Get a copy of the book...its very good!

Sega Mad Jun 29th 2005 7:49 pm

Finished the book yesterday.....a really good read and insight into the Kiwi way of life........any others to reccomend? :rolleyes:

I don't yet know what it's like (I haven't read it yet) but you could try

Kiwis Might Fly by Polly Evans.
Bantam books ISBN 0-553-81557-1

Its about the author's motorcycle tour of NZ in search of the endandangered 'real man' apparently in his last refuge in NZ. It was recommended by a dentist so it might require anaesthetic to be enjoyed. Maybe some help from Sunshine & Rain since they have an Anaesthetist in the family :D

Regards

Pompey_Paul Jun 30th 2005 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
I don't yet know what it's like (I haven't read it yet) but you could try

Kiwis Might Fly by Polly Evans.
Bantam books ISBN 0-553-81557-1

Its about the author's motorcycle tour of NZ in search of the endandangered 'real man' apparently in his last refuge in NZ. It was recommended by a dentist so it might require anaesthetic to be enjoyed. Maybe some help from Sunshine & Rain since they have an Anaesthetist in the family :D

Regards

Cheers ...ive ordered that (for the Wife) it looks a bit like a chick book, i have also ordered

Slipping Into Paradise: Why I Live in New Zealand
Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson
ISBN: 0345466144

And

Kiwi Tracks: A Tramper in New Zealand (Lonely Planet Journeys S.)
Andrew Stevenson
ISBN: 0864427875

I'll let you know how i get on! :)

Pompey_Paul Jul 16th 2005 4:25 pm

:) I have now read the following Books and it might be useful to give some comments on them :)

Slipping Into Paradise: Why I Live in New Zealand
Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson
ISBN: 0345466144

Much Travelled Jewish intellectual tells us why he has chosen to live in New Zealand, giving a potted history of the island alongside a warts and all look at NZ society, this brings some surprising facts to life about New Zealand and some not so surprising facts.

Personally it made me realise that although New Zealand is beautiful it has already lost much of its natural Flora and Fauna forever....and what we are seeing is a much more European influenced scenery (although still very gorgeous).

This book struggled a bit to explain Maori Culture (although this was beyond the scope of such a small book), what explanations it does give are dealt with sympathetically.

The book is also (and owns up to it) a little light on detail about the South Island.

There are hundreds of references and further reading recommended, the Author also gives his e-mail address and welcomes contact.

Kiwi Tracks: A Tramper in New Zealand (Lonely Planet Journeys S.)
Andrew Stevenson
ISBN: 0864427875

A book on Hiking around NZ (tramping), this book is great on detail of a real hiker who tackles all the major treks in NZ, very good detail of Maori culture and very heavy on the South Island which is great!

A really good read, read before you go as like me you may want to try some of the treks!

Treats the ecology of NZ in detail.

A Land of Two Halves: An Accidental Tour of New Zealand
ISBN: 074326357X

40 Something Old Fart decides to take a break and hitchhike around New Zealand, the reason for this is that is dog is old and he must decide if he is going to get another and stay in New Zealand or not!

Great writing with some good wit..............he can winge a bit through the book which gets a tad annoying.

Good detail....not as much detail as Kiwi tracks but then again he does not do the hard core treks!

Good read :o