'Jobs for Kiwi's'

Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

gaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nicegaz1277 is just really nice
Default 'Jobs for Kiwi's'

Hi there,
I came across this link whilst researching jobs etc;

http://emigratetonewzealand.wordpres...much-in-force/

It is dated 28th June 2010 so is still quite relevant.

Do the guys/gals currently in NZ who are looking for jobs agree that this is the case? I also noticed that there were over 1700 applicants for 110 jobs in Bunnings, Dunedin. Is unemployment really that bad?

Any thoughts.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all
Default Re: 'Jobs for Kiwi's'

Originally Posted by gaz1277 View Post
Hi there,
I came across this link whilst researching jobs etc;

http://emigratetonewzealand.wordpres...much-in-force/

It is dated 28th June 2010 so is still quite relevant.

Do the guys/gals currently in NZ who are looking for jobs agree that this is the case? I also noticed that there were over 1700 applicants for 110 jobs in Bunnings, Dunedin. Is unemployment really that bad?

Any thoughts.
Yes.

I already work part time and wanted to apply to the local supermarket for something evenings to top up our income. It's only just been built and won't be open for a while, but it was fully staffed months ago - I'm hoping that some vacancies might open up when it's trading.

I went into the work and income office today to look at the board and there were 12 jobs on there. All part time cleaners, shop staff and one that involved pool maintenance.

I've got degree level qualifications in business and administration - and over 20 years experience. In UK I'd expect to work as a practice manager or equivalent - which is fair given the time I've taken to raise the family.

I applied for everything going, but they don't even acknowledge your applications which is very dis-heartening and certainly dented my confidence.

I'm very lucky to have the job I'm in now and there were over 200 applicants. I got it because I was a bit cheeky and phoned the owner of the company directly and told him I thought he should hire me because I was looking for a job, he was looking for an administrator and so it was obviously fate.

You have to just get into their faces a bit over here, not in an arrogant way - just don't do things by the book and wait to be noticed. It's all about networking and face to face contact.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:13 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, having that network is so important. SO many people find jobs this way.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gaz1277 View Post
Hi there,

Any thoughts.
I cant believe any sane person would emigrate from anywhere to work in Bunnings Dunedin. If you need to work and cant get a better job than that, I would say give NZ a very wide berth.It will be a one way trip to poverty.

You need excellent skills to get a decent job here, and even then a network or an enlightened employer is required.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Browner_ View Post
I cant believe any sane person would emigrate from anywhere to work in Bunnings Dunedin. If you need to work and cant get a better job than that, I would say give NZ a very wide berth.It will be a one way trip to poverty.

You need excellent skills to get a decent job here, and even then a network or an enlightened employer is required.
Often though, in order to get PR - you have to take a job that the kiwis won't touch. Either because the work is so awful that they don't want it, or because the salary is so low that they're all in UK/Australia and America earning the mega bucks.

We've come over on the low wage PR, we had to bring enough cash to subsidise us for 2 years - because realistically, that's how long it will take for him to get back up to a good salary.

If people are realistic about that and come with a big enough safety net - it's possible. It's more difficult to manage on a low income over here though - and if we didn't have a plan that was working out - I'd have lost the plot by now.