Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job Search Information please - moved to main forum

Job Search Information please - moved to main forum

Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Mdgey is a jewel in the roughMdgey is a jewel in the roughMdgey is a jewel in the roughMdgey is a jewel in the roughMdgey is a jewel in the rough
Smile Job Search Information please - moved to main forum

Hi again,

OK we are now a bit further on making our decision - but heard something that has thrown me a bit today, and wondered if anyone here could answer my question.

We heard that we should 'be prepared to have plenty of knockbacks/refusals regarding finding work as there is very much an inbred resistance regarding giving work to people who have not got any "kiwi" experience - a positive cheerful attitude is a must despite what may be weeks of frustration'.

Is this the norm so to speak and has anyone on here come across this ??

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:38 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Job Search Information please

Originally Posted by Mdgey
Hi again,

OK we are now a bit further on making our decision - but heard something that has thrown me a bit today, and wondered if anyone here could answer my question.

We heard that we should 'be prepared to have plenty of knockbacks/refusals regarding finding work as there is very much an inbred resistance regarding giving work to people who have not got any "kiwi" experience - a positive cheerful attitude is a must despite what may be weeks of frustration'.

Is this the norm so to speak and has anyone on here come across this ??

Thanks in advance
Oh boy. Have a go. If you have the skills and qualifications to do a job get on with it.

I think part of the problem is the perception that some locals have of immigrants coming in with 'superior' notions and patronising attitudes (not really accurate on the locals' part, but there you go). It doesn't feel right when someone comes into your house and tells you how to do things.

Perhaps a bit of lip-biting and teeth-grinding frustration will be the order of the day when you do get work, but once ensconced you can really just get on with it.