Reload this Page >

job registration (secondary teacher)... need help

job registration (secondary teacher)... need help

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

marjan912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default job registration (secondary teacher)... need help

Hi
I am happy to be one of the members of this forum.
I have some questions to ask.
I have a bachelor degree in Teaching English ( TSOL). I am from Persia and English is a second language in my country. I have 8 years experience as a full time teacher in high school.
Please help me by answering each following questions that u know:

1: Teachers should register in teacher council of NZ. I am not sure they register me as an English teacher, because i have heard that they register native speakers of English as English teachers. Despite of what NZ officials declare in their rules, but some teachers that teach in NZ says that there is no occupation for nonnative teachers in teaching English in real world. Is that really so?
2: Is registry mandatory for teachers to apply EOI?
3: If it s not mandatory, will i lose any points?

I fill EOI form for practice, and i think only people who want to claim for bonus points of absolute skill shortage should provide registration, according column 4 in long term skills that mentions:
In order to claim bonus points for qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage under the Skilled Migrant Category, applicants must meet the following specifications: Bachelors degree (or equivalent) with a major
in a NZ teaching subject
AND a secondary teaching qualification recognized for registration purposes by the New Zealand Teachers Council OR a four year Bachelor of Education/Teaching (Secondary) with a major in a NZ teaching subject

Please help me if u have some experience in this regard.
Thank you
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: job regestration (secondary teacher)... need help

Originally Posted by marjan912 View Post
Hi
I am happy to be one of the members of this forum.
I have some questions to ask.
I have a bachelor degree in Teaching English ( TSOL). I am from Persia and English is a second language in my country. I have 8 years experience as a full time teacher in high school.
Please help me by answering each following questions that u know:

1: Teachers should register in teacher council of NZ. I am not sure they register me as an English teacher, because i have heard that they register native speakers of English as English teachers. Despite of what NZ officials declare in their rules, but some teachers that teach in NZ says that there is no occupation for nonnative teachers in teaching English in real world. Is that really so?

I fill EOI form for practice, and i think only people who want to claim for bonus points of absolute skill shortage should provide registration, according column 4 in long term skills that mentions:
In order to claim bonus points for qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage under the Skilled Migrant Category, applicants must meet the following specifications: Bachelors degree (or equivalent) with a major
in a NZ teaching subject
AND a secondary teaching qualification recognized for registration purposes by the New Zealand Teachers Council OR a four year Bachelor of Education/Teaching (Secondary) with a major in a NZ teaching subject

Please help me if u have some experience in this regard.
Thank you
Oh! i fount it right now in NZ immigration website!
What does it mean?
All teaching qualifications and degrees in Education will need to be assessed by the NZQA for teacher registration and salary purposes, should an applicant wish to enter the teaching profession within New Zealand.

I know qualifications should be assessed by NZQA. But is Teacher registration mandatory too?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 6:17 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job regestration (secondary teacher)... need help

but some teachers that teach in NZ says that there is no occupation for nonnative teachers in teaching English in real world. Is that really so?
The problem is you'll be teaching English to native speakers and as you yourself have said, you speak english as a second language. Normally english teachers would need an extremely good grasp of the language to teach it in NZ. That's putting aside the issues of registration etc and then good luck finding a job. Most parents are going to want a native speaker to teach their child.

ps it's registration, not regestration. yikes.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jun 6th 2011 at 6:24 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:06 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job registration (secondary teacher)... need help

Oh! i fount it right now in NZ immigration website!
What does it mean?
All teaching qualifications and degrees in Education will need to be assessed by the NZQA for teacher registration and salary purposes, should an applicant wish to enter the teaching profession within New Zealand.

I know qualifications should be assessed by NZQA. But is Teacher registration mandatory too?
Yes. Teacher registration is mandatory.

I'm moving this into the main NZ forum for you so hopefully some teachers will pass by and see this.

but some teachers that teach in NZ says that there is no occupation for nonnative teachers in teaching English in the real world
This is best answered by teachers already here . It may be possible that you teach English to those NZ migrants that need to improve their English language skills

ESOL click link
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Hi dears,
Thank you for your kind regards!
Yes. Your right. Registration seems to be mandatory.
So , I have no hope Teacher council registers me due to the reasons that i posed above(English is a foreign language or even not official one in our country, I am trained only for 7 semesters and as well as IELTS 7) . But it is a long shot in the dark. I will try it.
Thank you all,
I am beginner in this forum with have little knowledge about migration process.
Everything that you suggest, it will be worth full and I appreciate it.
Good luck friends!
Old Jun 8th 2011, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi dears,

I emailed to NZ immigration.
A customer service officer answered it.
I copy and paste my questions and the answers that he wrote, here.

Really this person seems to be very patient and answered fully! That is the reason that i always appreciate NZ people for their commitment!

Anyway, this is the whole email:

Thank you for contacting us.

1: Teachers should register in teacher council of NZ. I am not sure the council registers me as an
English teacher,since i have heard that the council registers native speakers of English as English
teachers. Despite of what NZ officials declare in their rules, but some teachers that are teaching in
NZ says that there is no occupation for nonnative teachers for teaching English in real world. Is that
really so?

Immigration New Zealand cannot assist you with this type of enquiry. The purpose of our service is to advise general immigration policy and procedures only.

If you are claiming points in your EOI for a job offer as a teacher in New Zealand you will need to be registered.

You may lose points if you claim points for in area for which registration is required, such as having an offer of employment.

4.In long term skill list in column 4 is mentioned that:

In order to claim bonus points for qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage under the Skilled
Migrant Category, applicants must meet the following specifications: Bachelors degree (or
equivalent) with a major in a NZ teaching subject AND a secondary teaching qualification recognized
for registration purposes by the New Zealand Teachers Council OR a four year Bachelor of
Education/Teaching (Secondary) with a major in a NZ teaching subject

> Besides in immigration website of NZ it is mentioned that:
> All teaching qualifications and degrees in Education will need to be assessed by the NZQA for
> teacher registration and salary purposes, should an applicant wish to enter the teaching profession
> within New Zealand.
>
> I know qualifications should be assessed by NZQA. But, does it mean that Teacher registration is
> mandatory too?

Registration as a teacher is required to teach in New Zealand, or to sucessfully gain a work visa, or residence visa, on the basis of a job offer for which registration is required (such as a teacher).

Kind regards
Old Jun 8th 2011, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

NOW
I have still some problems with its interpretation.
I have no job offer,So i am not forced for registration.
But if a teacher wants to get the bonus points for teaching, according to column 4 in SOL list(in front of secondary school teachers is mentioned) 2 options is ahead: Bachelors degree (or equivalent) with a major in a NZ teaching subject AND a secondary teaching qualification recognized for registration purposes by the New Zealand Teachers Council OR a four year Bachelor of Education/Teaching (Secondary) with a major in a NZ teaching subject

My bachelor degree had took three and half years And my major name is: Teaching English.
Can i refer to the second option to be free of doing registration and get the bonus point for the qualifications in the areas of absolute skill shortage (and according to what the officer answered me to the above post)?

please, please help me, if you have needed information.
I appreciate your patient

Good luck all

Last edited by marjan912; Jun 8th 2011 at 3:07 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:02 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a skilled shortage of english teachers?
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kiwilass View Post
Is there a skilled shortage of english teachers?
I asked it from NZ education ministry....and they informed me by this link.

http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/how-to-te...rseas-trained/
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:55 pm

From the link:

As an overseas trained teacher, you will need to be extremely competent in written and spoken English. The majority of overseas teachers working in New Zealand schools have come from countries with strong language, cultural and educational similarities with New Zealand such as the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, Canada and South Africa

Did you read this?
Old Jun 8th 2011, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kiwilass View Post
From the link:

As an overseas trained teacher, you will need to be extremely competent in written and spoken English. The majority of overseas teachers working in New Zealand schools have come from countries with strong language, cultural and educational similarities with New Zealand such as the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, Canada and South Africa

Did you read this?
Yes.
The majority not all!
The main requirement is having IELTS 7 or more.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:26 pm

Yes.
The majority not all!
The main requirement is having IELTS 7 or more.
I give up. Why don't you just do what the immigration dept says and get teacher registration. Good luck!

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jun 8th 2011 at 6:38 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:39 pm

H
Registration as a teacher is required to teach in New Zealand, or to sucessfully gain a work visa, or residence visa, on the basis of a job offer for which registration is required (such as a teacher).

Kind regards[/I][/I][/I][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/B]
As per this - you need to get teacher registration.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank u dear Kiwilass

Teacher council is so strict.I will do it, but I am afraid of failing.
I make an effort to find out if I don't have an job offer, so i should not force to register. And after getting visa, i am going to gain employ in another area in NZ. In this stage i only want to use my experience work points for migrating.

Any other ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks again
and
GOOD LUCK

Last edited by marjan912; Jun 8th 2011 at 7:16 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:18 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to come to NZ on the basis of potentially being, or having been a teacher, then you will need to register first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.