Reload this Page >

Job question - christchurch

Job question - christchurch

Old Jan 27th 2014, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

FlyingSquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job question - christchurch

Hi All,

I very recently applied for a job as a carpenter in ChCh of which I have the final interview in a few days. As I am not a qualified carpenter, I have over 12 yrs experience which apparently is fine, I was concerned about who would want to employ me so spoke with a company that posted a job locally.

One thing that they said at the first interview was that there's a $4000 fee if I leave the company within the 18mnths from starting and that they will pay a $2000 bonus on completion of the 18 mnths. I am a bit puzzled about the fee as all the costs are being paid by me, the company have said they sent 30 chippys so far with an aim of 8 to 10 per month here after. Just wondering if anyone on here has progressed with this offer? it is with Amida in the uk for Farrell group in NZ.

Visa will be Essential skills visa, they offer to sponsor after 18mnths for permanent residency visa.
Also, they are offering $24ph for 3mnths then $28 thereafter. Is this enough for my wife and I in our own descent rented property?

My actual aim is to live in Queenstown but am really struggling to find any company that will offer employment for the visa, so felt that putting a few good years into chch and getting residency before relocating and job searching in QT.

Does anyone know of any companies over in NZ that I could approach if the one above is dodgy?

Sorry that this post has lots of questions, just got so many! Any help would be greatly appreciated, looking to get everything in place to move over for around May.

Ray
Old Jan 27th 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job question - christchurch

Just last week someone else mentioned this company and a $4000 bond too. They were somewhat warned off as we who live there feel that Christchurch doesn't need to use such recruiters.

Having said that Farrell itself is a bona fide company who are currently recruiting for trade qualified chippys :-)

Jan

Last edited by Jan n Neil; Jan 27th 2014 at 5:02 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

A fee to leave? That's a bit rich.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

I was in ChCh over Christmas, there is absolutely loads of work for carpenters (me included) I got offered a bit more money than you per hour though, no help with visas or relocation though. Probably worth asking if they can do better.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

FlyingSquirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thanks for replies.

Does anyone know of any other companies that I can contact that will offer work prior to me leaving the uk?

I'm also a little concerned on the housing situation at the moment, as it's only my wife and I going over I originally thought it'd be a breeze but having read a lot of the threads on this site it looks very bleak. Is it really as bad as everyone is saying?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I believe Scottish Lad has been through the exact same thing.

Personally I think it is outrageous that a tradesman be bonded in this way and for such a huge amount of money, especially given they pay all their own costs.

I can quite see that a company would wish their overseas tradespeople to remain with them for a given period but incentive to remain rather than penalties & fines would seem the better way to treat adults.

Canstaff
appear to be actively recruitment tradesmen .I believe there is still a bond situation with them but it may be far less harsh from what I have heard on the grapevine.
There is a thread about this HERE. Post to it to chat with others going with Canstaff.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

alan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS
I believe Scottish Lad has been through the exact same thing.

Personally I think it is outrageous that a tradesman be bonded in this way and for such a huge amount of money, especially given they pay all their own costs.

I can quite see that a company would wish their overseas tradespeople to remain with them for a given period but incentive to remain rather than penalties & fines would seem the better way to treat adults.

Canstaff
appear to be actively recruitment tradesmen .I believe there is still a bond situation with them but it may be far less harsh from what I have heard on the grapevine.
There is a thread about this HERE. Post to it to chat with others going with Canstaff.
Canstaff only ask that you stay with them for 6 months or you are liable for £1500 service fee's, this is due to that fact they don'y charge the applicant for any service, advice and help given. Canstaff are payed by the end employer.
This was explained to me in my interview, and personally I don't see why anyone would turn up and leave after all the effort both parties have gone through to get to that point. I for one won't be head hunting around for a higher wage as soon as I've stepped off the plane.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 9:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thanks Alan83.

Sounds very reasonable & far better than thousands of dollars of rip-off bond. Also, these are actual recruitment agents.

Let's hope FlyingSquirrel contacts them.