Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job in Otahuhu - where the heck do we rent?

Job in Otahuhu - where the heck do we rent?

Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Job in Otahuhu - where the heck do we rent?

Dear All,

Have just had a job offer for a secondary school in Otahuhu.

The school hope/plan to provide accommodation form January and possibly July but no openings at presnt. Where the heck do we rent? I know that there are good and bad suburbs in the area (as everywhere) but some insight would be very helpful.

Also - what about primary schools for our 8 year old? We are keen to make sure the move doesn't impact on her progress - knowing the area for a good school will help.

Finally, as asked by everyone else, will we survive on my wage (NZ$75,000)alone (we have a 2 1/2 year old and my wife wants to stay at home). We plan to keep our house in the UK which is currently rented out - can we live with sufficient modesty to make it work till January?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Job in Otahuhu - where the heck do we rent?

Originally Posted by Berian
Dear All,

Have just had a job offer for a secondary school in Otahuhu.

The school hope/plan to provide accommodation form January and possibly July but no openings at presnt. Where the heck do we rent? I know that there are good and bad suburbs in the area (as everywhere) but some insight would be very helpful.

Also - what about primary schools for our 8 year old? We are keen to make sure the move doesn't impact on her progress - knowing the area for a good school will help.

Finally, as asked by everyone else, will we survive on my wage (NZ$75,000)alone (we have a 2 1/2 year old and my wife wants to stay at home). We plan to keep our house in the UK which is currently rented out - can we live with sufficient modesty to make it work till January?

Otahuhu isnt the best suburb, id look outside of Otahuhu.
You can look at Onehunga, One Tree Hill, Ellerslie, Panmure or Mt Wellington, or even Pakuranga / Howick. Idsteer clear of Otara, Otahuhu and Papatoetoe.

Cant help with the schools, try looking at ero.govt.nz and do a search, they have reports on all the chools in an area.

Depends on how frugal you are with money, on $75k youre looking at about $900- $950 pw after tax, if you want to start budgeting. Its not a lot of money but people get by on less, especially if youre able to manage money well (which im not)
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

binman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job in Otahuhu - where the heck do we rent?

Berian I have sent you pm. Cheers binman