Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job Offers- Decision Time

Job Offers- Decision Time

Old Dec 11th 2007, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job Offers- Decision Time

Mr Moomoo here again.

Uncertainty and doubt have struck again!! I have two good job offers with accredited employers with a salary in line with my earnings in the UK. One based in CBD in Auckland and one based in Manakau City. Not sure being so far away how I am going to choose between them!! Is it just the bottom line financial package or is it the feel of the people I dealt with at the expo and through correspondence. We have 3 kids to bring with us (and 4 dogs!!) kids aged 10,14 and 16 so will be looking for a rental initially and then some sort of lifestyle property. We need to find schools quickly as any move is looking like being in July/August 2008, but are concerned about the school zoning and its relation to rental property and ultimately the property we want to buy. We don't want to have to move the kids' school twice. Both firms offer temporary accommodation on arrival and relocation assistance including the use of relocation experts. ( I must admit I do feel a bit of a cheat with all this help being offered having read on the forum some of the challenges people have faced when emigrating).

And then there is the option of staying within our relatively well paid jobs, and relatively good lifestyle in the UK. My wife would give up work if we moved (she wants to anyway).

I suppose now it is decision time for us and it is a massive decision. Is it really that good over there?

Mr Moomoo.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Job Offers- Decision Time

Originally Posted by Moomoo

And then there is the option of staying within our relatively well paid jobs, and relatively good lifestyle in the UK. My wife would give up work if we moved (she wants to anyway).

I suppose now it is decision time for us and it is a massive decision. Is it really that good over there?

Mr Moomoo.
Only you can decide this to be honest. I know that there is a lot of people on here alone who have traveled half way around the world for a better quality of life etc. that's why we are going.
Even though i have a comfortable lifestyle here im sure that it will be greatly increased in NZ. Mainly for our kids. In a few years time the uk is going to fall to bits, if its not there already.. Think positive.

Last edited by Wessa; Dec 11th 2007 at 2:44 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wessa
Only you can decide this to be honest. I know that there is a lot of people on here alone who have traveled half way around the world for a better quality of life etc. that why we are going.
Even though i have a comfortable lifestyle here im sure that it will be greatly increased in NZ. Mainly for our kids. In a few years time the uk is going to fall to bits, if its not there already.. Think positive.
Hear hear. So say I.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 4:18 pm
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

Mr Moomoo here again.

Uncertainty and doubt have struck again!! I have two good job offers with accredited employers with a salary in line with my earnings in the UK. One based in CBD in Auckland and one based in Manakau City. Not sure being so far away how I am going to choose between them!! Is it just the bottom line financial package or is it the feel of the people I dealt with at the expo and through correspondence. We have 3 kids to bring with us (and 4 dogs!!) kids aged 10,14 and 16 so will be looking for a rental initially and then some sort of lifestyle property. We need to find schools quickly as any move is looking like being in July/August 2008, but are concerned about the school zoning and its relation to rental property and ultimately the property we want to buy. We don't want to have to move the kids' school twice. Both firms offer temporary accommodation on arrival and relocation assistance including the use of relocation experts. ( I must admit I do feel a bit of a cheat with all this help being offered having read on the forum some of the challenges people have faced when emigrating).

Mr Moomoo.
I'm gonna be no help at all...but will say 'go with your heart'

good luck and karma to you
Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:40 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Mr Moomoo here again.

<snip>

Mr Moomoo.
If I answered 'yes' to your question I'd be dishonest and if I said 'no' I'd be dishonest as well. It is a real life here, as real as anywhere else. [Insert here your favourite platitude]

Originally Posted by 11ThousandMilesFromHome
I'm gonna be no help at all...but will say 'go with your heart'

good luck and karma to you
This is the best advice.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about

If you give up your job in the UK and move to NZ what have you got to lose? a bit of money perhaps? Personally I gave up a job that was paying about 3 times what i currently earn here in tauranga. The lifestyle i have gained as well as the life experiences is worth every penny I have 'lost'. Was a huge decision for us to move but almost 2 years later the only thing i question myself about is why didn't i do it sooner. Our kids are 13 and 10 and have both written a note to me recently thanking us for bringing them to NZ and just how happy they are!!
Old Dec 11th 2007, 10:21 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really that good over there?

Mr Moomoo.
An impossible question to answer, of course...

I would say that you have to be an 'outdoors' kind of person to get the most from New Zealand. If you aren't, then I'd wonder if it's really worth the effort to move over here.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
An impossible question to answer, of course...

I would say that you have to be an 'outdoors' kind of person to get the most from New Zealand. If you aren't, then I'd wonder if it's really worth the effort to move over here.
Ditto

L
Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

chasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant future

hi
just a quick note and a bit off advice for you ,most of the brits live over the north shore where all the beaches are it is a bit more expensive,but there are also some half decent schools over this side aswell

BROWNS BAY
TORBAY
MARANGI BAY

but to name a few look at them on the web site,the only trouble you will find is the traffic on this side WHAT A CULTURE SHOCK THAT WILL BE FOR YOU ,that is something to get you started,
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

chasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant futurechasandange has a brilliant future

sorry just another quick note
you ask is it that good over here well at first when you get over here you think you have landed on your feet but after a while that wears off and reality sets in, ie family at home,12000 miles away if anything goes wrong, the list can be endless ,i am not trying to put you off but there is a big turnover of brits that go home,the convenience of europe is another factor to fly to perth as an example is 7hours away we wish we had come over for a holiday at first ,it sounds all doom and gloom i know,the other factor is getting back into the uk housing market anyway just a couple of things to chew on and by the way we have been here over 3 years and are heading back next year for a few of the points that i have mentioned GOOD LUCK
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about

just had my first relative die since we have lived in NZ (uncle) and have decided not to go back for funeral. This has been quite hard for us but we had discussed this sort of situation before we moved.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chasandange
sorry just another quick note
you ask is it that good over here well at first when you get over here you think you have landed on your feet but after a while that wears off and reality sets in, ie family at home,12000 miles away if anything goes wrong, the list can be endless ,i am not trying to put you off but there is a big turnover of brits that go home,the convenience of europe is another factor to fly to perth as an example is 7hours away we wish we had come over for a holiday at first ,it sounds all doom and gloom i know,the other factor is getting back into the uk housing market anyway just a couple of things to chew on and by the way we have been here over 3 years and are heading back next year for a few of the points that i have mentioned GOOD LUCK
True words, you will either love it, hate it, or grin and bear it for a while because it cost so much (not just in mnetary terms!) to get here. We love it, have no family here and came over knowing no one. NZ has met ALL our expectations..even here in Palmerston North. 1st time ever in my life I am somewhere I could stay for ever! Would never willingly return to the UK. NZ is wonderful, especially for my 3 young kids, the country has rafts of problems but I did not come here expecting eutopia, just a significantly better life than I left behind...and boy have we achieved that!!!!!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Izzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to allIzzy and Ian is a name known to all

I've been visiting NZ for 20 years. So when I met my OH I obviously took him to my favorite place in the world... he loved it and kept talking about living there.

So after years of occasionally talking about it, we decided that we must answer the question of whether NZ was the right place for us. Here's what we did:

1 Each wrote down a list of what we wanted more of and less of in our lives (mainly about lifestyle)
2 Looked hard at our UK life and assessed whether it was possible to make those changes in our native land
3 Did masses of research on NZ and estimated our ability to achieve our ambitions there
4 Only then did we look at what else we may 'lose' or 'gain' from a move (mainly financial and people considerations)

For us it was a no-brainer as we wanted things we could never have in the UK (unless we won the lottery). We had 2 very well paid jobs and a fantastic house but it was amazing how easily we could let them go as there is so much more than material things we want in our lives

This will be our last Christmas in the UK as we leave for NZ 1st week of Jan and I know what I will miss most... people

If you're unsure, I suggest you do an objective assessment of your own situation. I'm certain the answers will become clear! And once you act, you will always have your lists to support you when the going gets tough.

Good luck!
Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Both firms offer temporary accommodation on arrival and relocation assistance including the use of relocation experts. ( I must admit I do feel a bit of a cheat with all this help being offered having read on the forum some of the challenges people have faced when emigrating).
Mr Moomoo.
Glad I'm not the only one who did it the 'cushioned way' and admits to having had a relocation agent provided by OH's employer - actually I'm not here forever which makes it easier for me to be objective about how good it actually is.
I do currently love being here - I'm in Wellington not Auckland though - but I'm not sure I'd be so positive if I had relocated here forever...all my boats burned as it were.....on the UK housing market.
You say your OH wants to give up her job..is that not an option for her in UK - are you locked into the large mortgage which requires two salaries to service by any chance?

Coming here on a salary that is the equivalent of your UK one has got to be a bonus as many people seem to come for effective wages cuts and longer working hours, in the hope that the lifestyle gains will offset this. People who can live here mortgage free (because of gains on UK market) tend to find it easier to manage here on the lower salaries than those who nevertheless take on a mortgage here.

Do you have any kids? They are the main beneficiary of the more laidback less consumerist lifestyle. Your OH may not be so happy to 'play house' in the absence of kids, without her usual support network around her especially if she doesn't have kids to help break the ice.

I wouldn't move here permanently if neither of you have ever visited before....that's rather a big risk.

Just a thought but I reckon you could get most of the same lifestyle gaoins by moving to Eire...it's a lot closer to home!
Sorry not much help am I - only you can decide.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Mr Moomoo, you must be having some sleepless nights at the mo There is only you who can decide whether it is 'that good' over here. As you have noticed, peoples opinions vary vastly. It depends on your reasons for leaving the UK and what you want for yourself and your family. Personally, we did it the hard way, LTBV. Here on temp visas for now but we all love it ( me, hubby and 16 and 13 year olds). We live in a rental within 20 mins of Manukau city. If you need any advice or info on schools, area etc to help with your decision you can pm me. I'd be glad to help. Good luck with your decision, whatever that may be. Carol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.