Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job offer Wellington but wife concerned

Job offer Wellington but wife concerned

Old Apr 20th 2016, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer Wellington but wife concerned

Wellington is more often windy than not. Consequently it has quite an even temp. Rarely gets above about 23 degrees but also rarely has frosts. Normally, this time of year you would expect the daily high to be 17 to 19 degrees. Thats Wellington itself. Different story in the Hutt Valley, which is more sheltered. Kapiti Coast should have a better climate than Wellington I believe.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:08 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Wellington is more often windy than not. Consequently it has quite an even temp. Rarely gets above about 23 degrees but also rarely has frosts. Normally, this time of year you would expect the daily high to be 17 to 19 degrees. Thats Wellington itself. Different story in the Hutt Valley, which is more sheltered. Kapiti Coast should have a better climate than Wellington I believe.
That sounds good to me. We go swimming in the outdoor pool near here in August when its 16 degrees. 17-19 is positiveley balmy by comparison .

This time of year is equivalent to late October here. I would expect it to be dark, wet and daily high around 10-12 degrees. I presume you are a Wellington resident, have they started building the transmission gully road yet?
Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:18 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Wellington is more often windy than not.
To the point where quite a lot of people view it as debilitatingly windy and won't/can't live there.

A calm day is by far the exception, I have flown to Welly many times, twice in a flat calm but the rest it has been like landing on an aircraft carrier in a gale...
Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:32 pm
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
To the point where quite a lot of people view it as debilitatingly windy and won't/can't live there.

A calm day is by far the exception, I have flown to Welly many times, twice in a flat calm but the rest it has been like landing on an aircraft carrier in a gale...
That's a pretty horrendous picture your painting there. If this is a fair account of the weather in Wellington, I'm surprised anyone lives there at all. If it is a fair account and the city is practically unliveable I would prefer not to live there myself, could be a deal breaker...

Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
That sounds good to me. We go swimming in the outdoor pool near here in August when its 16 degrees. 17-19 is positiveley balmy by comparison .

This time of year is equivalent to late October here. I would expect it to be dark, wet and daily high around 10-12 degrees. I presume you are a Wellington resident, have they started building the transmission gully road yet?
Anything will probably be an improvement if you hate where you live now in Manchester, but the whole of Britain is not always as bad as people say. I always say most places are the same and you have houses, streets and the little things can make the difference.

I lived in the sunniest part of Britain, but much prefer the part of Ireland I live now, although I could probably happily live in parts of Cornwall/Devon too, if everything else was right (Maybe not Manchester).
I'd rather live in a nice house with garden that gets evening sun in Dunedin, than live in an apartment in the middle of Auckland with concrete all around me.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 2:05 pm
Welly bound

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Anything will probably be an improvement if you hate where you live now in Manchester, but the whole of Britain is not always as bad as people say. I always say most places are the same and you have houses, streets and the little things can make the difference.

I lived in the sunniest part of Britain, but much prefer the part of Ireland I live now, although I could probably happily live in parts of Cornwall/Devon too, if everything else was right (Maybe not Manchester).
I'd rather live in a nice house with garden that gets evening sun in Dunedin, than live in an apartment in the middle of Auckland with concrete all around me.
Parts of Cornwall and Devon are breathtakingly beautiful and I love going there on holidays but the weather can be pretty atrocious esp in cornwall at times and the job market is weak. Also cornwall does have it's problems.

Well maybe Ireland's not a bad shout for a nice life. I'm wondering if Manchester might not be so bad either after reading that the good people of Wellington are literally hanging on for dear life as the roaring forties try to blow them all to Chile. I was hoping for something better not worse.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 2:06 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pretty horrendous picture your painting there. If this is a fair account of the weather in Wellington, I'm surprised anyone lives there at all. If it is a fair account and the city is practically unliveable I would prefer not to live there myself, could be a deal breaker...

Its worth considering, I have never seen anyone with an umbrella walking around welly for instance, they don't survive...

I wouldn't live there, it would just get old and wearing for me...and I grew up on the Isle of Man - so that kind of wind doesn't bother me at all...

Last edited by simonsi; Apr 20th 2016 at 2:31 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Parts of Cornwall and Devon are breathtakingly beautiful and I love going there on holidays but the weather can be pretty atrocious esp in cornwall at times and the job market is weak. Also cornwall does have it's problems.

Well maybe Ireland's not a bad shout for a nice life. I'm wondering if Manchester might not be so bad either after reading that the good people of Wellington are literally hanging on for dear life as the roaring forties try to blow them all to Chile. I was hoping for something better not worse.

We all have different views and some people will get used to the wind and others won't. The weather here in Galway is probably similar to what you currently have in Manchester, but some people will moan and others won't mind.

It can also make a huge difference if you are directly on the coast, or how your garden gets sun and wind. Yesterday I was sitting outside on the terrace until 8pm, measured temp around 7pm and it was 25C in the sun. Friends of mine who live directly on the coast felt much colder because of the wind.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 2:45 pm
Welly bound

Originally Posted by Moses2013
We all have different views and some people will get used to the wind and others won't. The weather here in Galway is probably similar to what you currently have in Manchester, but some people will moan and others won't mind.

It can also make a huge difference if you are directly on the coast, or how your garden gets sun and wind. Yesterday I was sitting outside on the terrace until 8pm, measured temp around 7pm and it was 25C in the sun. Friends of mine who live directly on the coast felt much colder because of the wind.
I just spoke to a colleague who lived in Hataitai a few years ago. He said it is windy but not always and you just get used to it. It was rarely so bad that it became a problem and when the weather is good which more often than here, Welly is a really great place to be. He also said the wind is worse in the CBD and hill top suburbs, elsewhere its not so bad - you just have to be wise to it when choosing where to live.

Galway is amazing, I love the coast there. It is similar to Cornwall too. Manchester is different, you get the rain shadow as the wind hits the pennines so it is permanently damp (apart from today - lovely today!). You don't even get the benefit of being near the coast either. The traffic is often so bad in can take 2 hours or more to get to the west coast on a weekend and I've not found anywhere as beautiful as Galway (West Wales excepted but then that's even further to go & come back).
Old Apr 20th 2016, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just spoke to a colleague who lived in Hataitai a few years ago. He said it is windy but not always and you just get used to it. It was rarely so bad that it became a problem and when the weather is good which more often than here, Welly is a really great place to be. He also said the wind is worse in the CBD and hill top suburbs, elsewhere its not so bad - you just have to be wise to it when choosing where to live.

Galway is amazing, I love the coast there. It is similar to Cornwall too. Manchester is different, you get the rain shadow as the wind hits the pennines so it is permanently damp (apart from today - lovely today!). You don't even get the benefit of being near the coast either. The traffic is often so bad in can take 2 hours or more to get to the west coast on a weekend and I've not found anywhere as beautiful as Galway (West Wales excepted but then that's even further to go & come back).
Exactly, location is key, so better avoid the hills and the cheapest option is to buy a windproof jacket LOL. I would say that women suffer a lot more when it comes to wind, so better speak to the wife.

I must say that I always enjoy coming back to Galway and on days like today, it's amazing. I recently drove to the UK past Manchester and traffic was pretty bad. I can drive from Galway to Dublin in 2 hours, so it must be bad
Old Apr 20th 2016, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

maquis is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up in Wellington, and the wind isn't that bad! Or I guess you just get used to it. Bonus - you can get your washing dry on the line in a hour, even in the winter (you just need to pick the hour between rainstorms). Lived in Ireland for a few years, and it felt just as windy there, though maybe that's because I was walking and using public transport more, rather than driving.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by maquis
I grew up in Wellington, and the wind isn't that bad! Or I guess you just get used to it. Bonus - you can get your washing dry on the line in a hour, even in the winter (you just need to pick the hour between rainstorms). Lived in Ireland for a few years, and it felt just as windy there, though maybe that's because I was walking and using public transport more, rather than driving.

Yep definitely windy here, but I would say that even Wellington is not as bad as Florida during a hurricane:-).
Old Apr 20th 2016, 7:59 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

if you have sea views you will get wind, and I did not realise how wind phobic I was until I came here and I had a tree crash through my window in UKs big storm back in the day.
We initially lived 31km outside the CBD to the north in a lovely house, raised off the ground, vaulted ceiling in the living room, wooden construction (we called it the deluxe shed). and I spent many a night up and crying because of the wind, up under the house with the trees creaking and cracking. Vaulted ceiling does not make for a good idea on a tin roof.
Moved another 15km north so 56 north of CBD and the wind really isn't to bad, plus we are now in a house that sits on foundations and is brick on the outside, no vaulted ceilings but no views either. So all that needs to be taken into consideration when settling somewhere.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 8:15 pm
Welly bound

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
if you have sea views you will get wind, and I did not realise how wind phobic I was until I came here and I had a tree crash through my window in UKs big storm back in the day.
We initially lived 31km outside the CBD to the north in a lovely house, raised off the ground, vaulted ceiling in the living room, wooden construction (we called it the deluxe shed). and I spent many a night up and crying because of the wind, up under the house with the trees creaking and cracking. Vaulted ceiling does not make for a good idea on a tin roof.
Moved another 15km north so 56 north of CBD and the wind really isn't to bad, plus we are now in a house that sits on foundations and is brick on the outside, no vaulted ceilings but no views either. So all that needs to be taken into consideration when settling somewhere.
Sea views are nice, but I had't even considered it to be honest. I'd be happy with a 10/15 min bike ride to the sea front. I saw some brick houses in Waikanae not too far from SH1. They didn't look too bad to me. I'm guessing these also have some form of roof insulation? Is it feasible to fit a gas boiler and 2 or 3 radiators? Are there heating engineers/water heater fitters out there?

Is there much to do in on the Kapiti coast? I'm not talking shopping here. I mean are there activities and clubs? Are there some nice cafe's, an olde cinema, library, book shop? Small theatre for am dram? Can you cycle along a promenade or esplanade? Is sea fishing easy enough to get on and do?

Kite flying definitely seems possible!

Thanks Mrs F
Old Apr 20th 2016, 8:29 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Sea views are nice, but I had't even considered it to be honest. I'd be happy with a 10/15 min bike ride to the sea front. I saw some brick houses in Waikanae not too far from SH1. They didn't look too bad to me. I'm guessing these also have some form of roof insulation? Is it feasible to fit a gas boiler and 2 or 3 radiators? Are there heating engineers/water heater fitters out there?

Is there much to do in on the Kapiti coast? I'm not talking shopping here. I mean are there activities and clubs? Are there some nice cafe's, an olde cinema, library, book shop? Small theatre for am dram? Can you cycle along a promenade or esplanade? Is sea fishing easy enough to get on and do?

Kite flying definitely seems possible!

Thanks Mrs F
We live in Waikanae, in the garden area so not far from the shops and station and yes in a brick house. Insulation in the roofs and outside walls but not internal and no double glazing. Waikanae is piped for gas so no problem there but you do pay for water here. Some houses have gas central heating but no idea how feasible that would be retrospectively with concrete floors, plus I would say heat pumps would be cheaper and more useful with the air con in the summer, which is what we would do if we could afford it.
Yes clubs for kids (some seasonal), and all the other things you ask about. have pm'ed you

Last edited by MrsFychan; Apr 20th 2016 at 8:33 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.