Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job Offer Received!!!! advice needed!!!!

Job Offer Received!!!! advice needed!!!!

Old Jun 25th 2014, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer Received!!!! advice needed!!!!

Originally Posted by andrew.catrina
morning all,

thanks for all of your advice and messages, more advice needed please!!
we have just received a revised offer for a salary of $70000.00 (1342.40) before tax on a 40 hour week, would we beable to live on that wage as a family of 8? the youngest 2 are due to start school in September 2015 so until then I would be unable to look for work myself,

any help again please!!?!

thanks
Hi,
Although I was in Auckland and I know it's different there I would have to say to you think long and hard about why your going to NZ because you are going to struggle. School clothes are very expensive, dentist if braces are needed, glasses are paid for at any age.
It soon adds up and things you took for granted in the UK become a luxury you really can't afford.
It's very true the grass is not always greener, the UK is huge you could be happy in another area.
Good luck
Old Jun 25th 2014, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew.catrina
morning all,

thanks for all of your advice and messages, more advice needed please!!
we have just received a revised offer for a salary of $70000.00 (1342.40) before tax on a 40 hour week, would we beable to live on that wage as a family of 8? the youngest 2 are due to start school in September 2015 so until then I would be unable to look for work myself,

any help again please!!?!

I think the message is the same as you have received loud and clear on here since you first asked - it is going to be a struggle.

Nobody here knows your current standard of living but at a guess life for anyone with six kids on a tradesman's wage is not going to be easy anywhere in the world. If you're currently scrimping and scraping and going without then there will be no change there.

The big kicker which has been pointed out to you over and over, is with regards to costs of kids school and medical stuff; it's not technically free here, although some people might loosely describe it that way.

There's been some very recent changes with regards to extending 'free' healthcare to the under 13 years old (previously was only 6 years old) - however the meaning of 'free' is still a matter of some debate and there is no consistency from one GP to another as to what they charge for:

Free healthcare? Yeah right - news - the-press | Stuff.co.nz

I expect though that you might be able to get some financial assistance: Working For Families - Working For Families
Old Jun 26th 2014, 6:10 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

I have just taken a straw poll in my office (based slap bang in the middle of Invercargill). My colleagues, all mums (kids have either left school or still going through education), all born and raised in Southland/Invers, and sadly all agreed that unless you are able to be mortgage/rent free then you are not going to be able to afford to live here. Maybe with one child and a mortgage you would be ok, but sadly not with your wee brood.