Job offer in NZ

Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

kateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nice
Default Job offer in NZ

Hey guys

After a bit of help here, if anyone has the time to assist!! Basically, and in a nutshell, I dont have a degree, or a skill which is on the shortage list, but I have worked in local council's thoughout the UK all my adult life (except for a year and a half after my son was born, 8 years ago), in an admin role, currently working in the social work's drug & alcohol unit, so plenty of experience there.

I am 37 and therefore too old to secure a Working Holiday Visa. My sister lives in Wellington, and I am desperate to return to NZ (i visited for a holiday last year) and be closer to her. Does anyone know if I came out on a visitors visa, and managed to secure work would I be able to remain in the country and work? I have been told by various people that this would work, others have told me not a chance!! Or is anyone out there in a position to consider offering me work, obviously dont expect anyone to say yes, but a perhaps would be ideal!!

After seeing what NZ can offer, I am extremely keen to give my son a better life, and this forum seems to be a superb place to request advice! Anyway, hope to hear from you soon...kate
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:32 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer in NZ

I think you may find it difficult. You could have a look on seek.co.nz or trademe.co.nz for jobs, but climbing out of a recession you may find it challenging to secure a job in the public sector and expect them to accomodate you whilst you get your visas. Auckland city council for instance has just gone through a huge re-shuffle and loads of civil servants have lost their jobs or had to re-apply for their own jobs.

Be careful about coming in on a holiday/visitor visa and then getting work, as NZ Immigration Service are not particularly sympathetic to people who enter on questionable intentions.

Can you not get a formal qualification back in UK that takes into account your years of experience? I would suggest this is a better option.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Job offer in NZ

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but government jobs here are hard to get and there are redundancies and cost cutting happening in Wellington too. Having said that my husband just recruited 5 new administrative positions but got up to 70-80 applicants for each job and if you don't have the right visa in place you don't stand a chance I'm afraid.

If your sister is a NZ resident, could she sponsor you but again preference is given to those with skills NZ want/need? Check out the NZIS website.

You won't need to apply for a visitor's visa from the UK, you can stay for 6 months, but you can't work and neither can an employer employ you unfortunately.

I would also recommend getting qualifications in the UK. As you know with your sister living here, NZ is not an easy country to get into without the right skills/qualifications.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:16 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kate.... welcome to BE
Sorry I've got nothing to add to the replies you've already had except to offer good wishes and hope you get to join your sister in lovely Wellington NZsoon as!!
B x
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

kateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nicekateofdoom is just really nice

Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply to me! It does mean a lot, I know everyone is always proper busy

Yep the news is not great, but it is as I expected. I've applied to go do nurse training, hopefully start in September, which is all good!! but it does mean a 3 year wait until I can go out, and I'm impatient now!!

Ho hum, such is life and all that

Hope you all have a beautiful sunny day and thanks again kate
Old Jan 17th 2011, 10:18 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Good things come to those who wait and work hard!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Good news, well done for making such a pro-active decision. Just a thought, are there any open university summer courses (or other UK university) you can do to gain more degree points and cut down the amount of time it takes to train?

Otherwise ,once you start your course, could your sister apply for sibling sponsorship and you could transfer to a NZ university to finish your studies? I see Massey in Wellington does nursing degrees. http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/learn...?prog_id=93193

Good luck and hope you can make it out soon.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

At 37 you have time . Well done you for making such a pro-active decision & actually digesting the posts that have been made to you by those on the ground. My hat is off to you. Big-time. Have some Be karma.

All good wishes for the next 3 years. Enjoy the time doing something new and I hope you are still around here ,when you finally land on these shores , to share the experience.

You will be an inspiration.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:04 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateofdoom
Thanks to you all for taking the time to reply to me! It does mean a lot, I know everyone is always proper busy

Yep the news is not great, but it is as I expected. I've applied to go do nurse training, hopefully start in September, which is all good!! but it does mean a 3 year wait until I can go out, and I'm impatient now!!

Ho hum, such is life and all that

Hope you all have a beautiful sunny day and thanks again kate
well done you!!
I've been a nurse for too long to mention I remember, in the early days, someone telling me 'a nursing qualification is a passport to the world' AFAIK this hasn't changed Yes, its hard work and 3 yrs does seem like a long time but believe me it'll fly bye and I'll bet you'll have some fun thrown in along the way..... NZ will be waiting!! Good luck and enjoy the fun.
B x
Old Jan 18th 2011, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

You have all made my day!!

Not everyone has been so supportive of my plans to retrain, (reasons unknown) and they are supposed to be friends, so I am more than delighted to get that response from you... I will keep you updated with results of my interview when I know.

Also I will keep your messages and when I need any encouragement that I'm doing the right thing I know exactly where to go..

You're all awesome! kate
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:09 pm
MnB

Originally Posted by kateofdoom
You have all made my day!!

Not everyone has been so supportive of my plans to retrain, (reasons unknown) and they are supposed to be friends, so I am more than delighted to get that response from you... I will keep you updated with results of my interview when I know.

They're probably trying to put you off 'cause they know that when you qualify you'll be off to join your sister.....they don't want you to go!! either that or they're jealous

Also I will keep your messages and when I need any encouragement that I'm doing the right thing I know exactly where to go..

You're all awesome! kate