Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job offer for Christchurch, should we stay or go??

Job offer for Christchurch, should we stay or go??

Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer for Christchurch, should we stay or go??

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I imagine it's very easily done when you are a family of five with growing kids with hollow legs. My weekly supermarket shopping for two adults usually fits into two shopping bags and this comes in at around $135. I spent a further $54 this week at the fruit and veg shop and not much to show for that with just one carrier bag with small bag of potatoes, some onions, mushrooms, mandarins, apples and bananas. No doubt I will be back at the shops at some point again during the week and we might have a takeaway of fish and chips on the odd occasion (usually $16 for two of us) .

I see family size trolleys full up to the brim and think crikey how the heck do they afford all that, so yeah I do believe a family with desires to dine on salmon fillets and steak could easily spend $400 a week.
Yeah true.
I eat the same as what I did back home.
I used to spend about 80 on a weekly shop and spend about 160 in NZ. That's for two of us aswell.
Of course you end up popping to shops in uk spending 30 same as I do here spending 60 dollars.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Don't try and compare UK prices to NZ prices, they simply do not tally. UK supermarkets have a buying power the like of paknsave or countdown could never dream of. The UK has easy access to year round fresh produce from the whole if the EU and beyond. Fruit and veggies can be in the ground in southern Spain on Monday and on your plate on Wednesday if not sooner and market of almost 70 million people all demanding the lowest price. NZ has 4.5 million and most of them have no idea what competition is, they have the mind set of foreign things cost a lot so just pay the asking price what ever it might be (see the cucumber thread)

Last edited by Justcol; Jun 29th 2019 at 10:13 am.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Buffers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Thanks for the insight, my kids do like their food, hollow legs they have indeed so groceries would be the one big expense I expect.
I will negotiate with the company this week and see what we can come up with, the missus isn't keen on going back to work with the 1 year old so small and having to put her into daycare.
How much would daycare cost roughly? She would have to work shifts also as she is a nurse which may prove difficult with no family support for school runs etc.
There is so much to think about before we make a decision, the company don't seem to want to pay half of the cost for me to go out for 10 days to have some chats with the company and see how things work which I don't really understand?!?
Old Jun 29th 2019, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buffers
Hi all

Thanks for the insight, my kids do like their food, hollow legs they have indeed so groceries would be the one big expense I expect.
I will negotiate with the company this week and see what we can come up with, the missus isn't keen on going back to work with the 1 year old so small and having to put her into daycare.
How much would daycare cost roughly? She would have to work shifts also as she is a nurse which may prove difficult with no family support for school runs etc.
There is so much to think about before we make a decision, the company don't seem to want to pay half of the cost for me to go out for 10 days to have some chats with the company and see how things work which I don't really understand?!?
I don't know about you and your wife.
I think it would be really hard for your wife coming over here and staying at home all day with a baby with no family and friends.
It would be really hard to get by on 70k a year with a family living in a city.
I don't know where in the UK you live but its like living around London prices. Not in the city of London but around the M25 areas. Essex, Hertford Surrey ect.
I find the cost of living better in NZ than Essex. But I'm married with no Kids. Iv never been entitled to tax credits or any help from UK government. So I find it better in NZ money wise.
Cars are alot cheaper. insurance is 20 dollars a month. road rax is cheaoer fuel cheaper.pay less tax. No nation insurance. more holidays. 5 days paid sick a year. No council tax. Sky cheaper. no tv licence.water and sewage cheaper. takeaways are ridiculously cheap.
You have to pay kid fees for schools. I don't have kids so doesn't effect me. Pay for docs appointments. Iv been doctors 3 times in 20 years.
Had to go for a medical I called in the morning had an appointment the same afternoon. cost 18 dollars. I would have waited about a month back in the uk. things like going to the dump costs money here but again I never go.
There is shit loads of variables that will only effect you specifically. You can't just compare food prices and go omg it's £1 cheaper for milk back home.
Even if you go for 10 days it's not giving you a realistic idea of what it's actually like working and living here permanently. it would be like a holiday.
Iv been loads different place for 2 or 3 months. this is first time i have had to live somewhere permanently and its completely different from a short visit.
Do the sums if its good for you and your family go for it.
I forgot to mention they do really nice pies here too.

Last edited by jarv5116; Jun 29th 2019 at 9:08 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
Why would they? We're talking about a $70k role here, so it seem like a run of the mill type of job and not like your are a CEO or a key position to the company. Just for some perspective, some admin roles in my office earn more.

I don't know what sort of company it is but most Kiwi companies are pretty lean and bosses are mean; they have hired you or your skills and expect you would have the experience to slot right in and do the job. There's very little 'soft' niceties in the Kiwii workplace, so don't expect any handover, training or introductions . You would be better to play hard ball on your salary, which will give you longer term security rather than trying to negotiate a one off visit that will have no long term financial benefit to you.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jun 29th 2019 at 9:33 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
I forgot to mention they do really nice pies here too.
McGregors Mutton Pies...👍
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of engineer bro ? 70 k sounds low if it’s in construction pm me the name of the firm and I will give you a heads up on what there like, I’ve worked for most of them
Old Jun 29th 2019, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

could you give a rough estimate for the costs such as, council tax, waste collection, school costs, electric and water rates?
My wife ideally doesn't want to work until the 1 year old is at school as she will have to put the little Madame in childcare which will probably use up most of what she earns.
Also what is the climate like around around Christchurch?
i am trying to negotiate a two week reccie where myself and the company go halves just to give me a feel of the company and the place but they don't seem too keen to help out. Thanks
There is no council tax here. We pay annual council rates which is the responsibility of the property owner so will be included in your weekly rent if renting. If you have your own home or land you will pay a % of the RV/CV (Registered Valuation/Council Valuation) towards rates. We pay $270 per month and Western Bay Of Plenty Council where we are is supposedly the highest in the country.
One general waste bin (emptied weekly) and one recycle waste bin (emptied fortnightly) - $400 per year. We currently have to recycle glass ourselves. If you visit the tip, lots of things are recyclable and free to get rid of paper/cardboard/glass/metal/batteries/appliances/clothing etc. For green waste and anything else that goes in landfill you pay a fee depending on weight. Minimum charge around $12 up to maybe $60 if you have a car and trailer full of stuff.
Assuming kids just at a state run school and not one that charges part or full attendance fees you're looking at $300 per year plus uniforms and any trips per child. That money should cover stationary.
Childcare up to their 3rd birthday you're looking at $50 per full day 07:30 to 17:30. When a child turns 3 and depending on visa status they can get a government grant of 20-30hrs per week depending on the childcare facility who claims it on your behalf. Effectively halves the money you pay out each week. Our 3.5 year old does 3 full days for $75 a week.
Electric $150 per month spring/autumn, $200 summer (lots of air con) and up to $350 per month winter. House insulation here is poor even in new builds.
Water & wastewater charges usually included in the Council rates so paid by the property owner. If the property has a meter you'll be billed, even if you are renting but usage isn't that expensive maybe $80 a quarter.
Kids can start school from the day they turn 5 and have to be in school or full time education before they turn 6. That's a heck of a long time for your Mrs to wait before going back to work if the youngest is 1
Unable to really comment on the climate in ChCh as never lived there. Seems to be long hot summers, short cold winters with the chance of snow and mild the rest of the time according to a mate who lives in Rolleston. Beautiful scenery, ski fields close by, beaches close by.

Unlikely a company will fork out any money to get you over here to introduce you to the company and ChCh to see if you like it. Too risky as the outlay may be for nothing. If you wanna do that you'll have to pay for it yourself. Shows you are keen and shows you are committed to the move. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to host you and show you round if you did that.
The company I work for has done this in the past and combined it with a final interview and to show the potential employee around the company and the city they'd be living in but we are a huge national state owned enterprise so they can afford it.

Old Jun 30th 2019, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Denise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really nice

Hey, we are a family of four living in Christchurch - have been for almost 10 years now. The cost of living is very high. Please feel free to message me with any questions and I'll try to help.
Denise