British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/job-offer-chch-asked-move-3-months-uk-923128/)

Jclark31 Mar 11th 2019 9:11 pm

Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 
Hello all. First post here.

Been offered a construction job in Christchurch for a worldwide firm who I'm currently working for in the North West UK. The job is around $74k a year with potential work in Fiji and other pacific islands.

Has anyone moved over in such a short space of time?

would be moving me, my partner & 3 year old daughter, partner would hopefully be getting a job to suit around daughters school time etc.

The firm are willing to pay for Immigration consultant, visas and 1 month upfront wage to help which would be a bonus.

Feel overwhelmed by the whole moving process. I need info on types of schools, how to ship a container of our gear over and how would we first settle once we land. I've obviously looked around trademe properties to get an idea.

Any advice or information would be helpful

Thanks



Kooky. Mar 11th 2019 9:21 pm

Re: Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 
Moved to Singapore in 2002, 6 weeks from offer to flight. Varnished the floor on our way out about 11pm the night we left the house (some of which had not even had plaster on the walls a week previously).

Never lived in NZ (been in Au 11 years now, about to move to the US, pretty accustomed to moving continents) so will leave practical advice to others but wanted to reassure you it can be done. Make lots of lists and attack them methodically.

chc4me Mar 12th 2019 3:22 am

Re: Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 
Exciting times!!!
My suggestion for when you first arrive is to arrange some short term accommodation for 4 to 6 weeks. This will allow you time to navigate your surroundings and work out where you want to be longer term. This Home Stay site might give you a few ideas. Will you be renting or buying long term?
School age is 5 so you have some time to sort that out. Under 5's will often go to daycare or pre-school and the good news is that you can get 20 hours per week of free child care (we had some internationals staying with us that used this for their Daughter).
No doubt you have loads of questions - ask away - plenty of help here.
chch4me.

Emmalouise6 Mar 26th 2019 10:32 pm

Re: Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 

Originally Posted by Jclark31 (Post 12651739)
Hello all. First post here.

Been offered a construction job in Christchurch for a worldwide firm who I'm currently working for in the North West UK. The job is around $74k a year with potential work in Fiji and other pacific islands.

Has anyone moved over in such a short space of time?

would be moving me, my partner & 3 year old daughter, partner would hopefully be getting a job to suit around daughters school time etc.

The firm are willing to pay for Immigration consultant, visas and 1 month upfront wage to help which would be a bonus.

Feel overwhelmed by the whole moving process. I need info on types of schools, how to ship a container of our gear over and how would we first settle once we land. I've obviously looked around trademe properties to get an idea.

Any advice or information would be helpful

Thanks

We’re doing the same my partner was offered scaffolding work in Christchurch and we’re selling everything to move over with two kids and a few suitcases!
we looked at a shipping container but it was coming on at about 4K.
what is it you do in construction?

Jclark31 Mar 27th 2019 10:51 am

Re: Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 

Originally Posted by Emmalouise6 (Post 12661070)

We’re doing the same my partner was offered scaffolding work in Christchurch and we’re selling everything to move over with two kids and a few suitcases!
we looked at a shipping container but it was coming on at about 4K.
what is it you do in construction?

Hello.

We had a quote for a 20foot shipping container from 1st Move. Around 4.1k it came out at and was 52 days transit. looking more likely that we will give it a miss, sell up and buy stuff over there.

I’m a lift engineer by trade going over on a talent visa.

Emmalouise6 Mar 27th 2019 6:52 pm

Re: Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 
My partners in Christchurch just now and we’re feeling like throwing in the towel! the immigration consultant put him on the wrong visa so he’s just switching over to the talent visa now. He’s saying the cost of living is too high over there for a single income family.
We’re also having to give up our dog, again cost of living, another mouth to feed we ohh thank not be able to afford.
dilemas! Do we give up the house car and pup on a chance 🙈

Pom_Chch Mar 27th 2019 7:43 pm

Re: Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 

Originally Posted by Emmalouise6 (Post 12661663)
My partners in Christchurch just now and we’re feeling like throwing in the towel! the immigration consultant put him on the wrong visa so he’s just switching over to the talent visa now. He’s saying the cost of living is too high over there for a single income family.
We’re also having to give up our dog, again cost of living, another mouth to feed we ohh thank not be able to afford.
dilemas! Do we give up the house car and pup on a chance 🙈

Not meaning to sound judgy, but is any country worth giving up your dog for?

Emmalouise6 Mar 27th 2019 8:13 pm

Re: Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 12661692)
Not meaning to sound judgy, but is any country worth giving up your dog for?

a bit off subject but the dog was sprung on me and has been very hard as it is

Pom_Chch Mar 27th 2019 10:05 pm

Re: Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 

Originally Posted by Emmalouise6 (Post 12661733)

a bit off subject but the dog was sprung on me and has been very hard as it is

Well not off topic really as you asked is it worth giving up your dog among other things to move to a place that doesn't seem all it's cracked up to be now that your partner is here. So my answer to your question is no. I hope you work it all out whatever you decide 😊

Emmalouise6 Mar 27th 2019 10:12 pm

Re: Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 
If we stay the end result with the dog will probably be the same....
so if anyone’s got any advice on immigrating on a 60k starting salary with two children? As I said we’re giving up our house, car kids schools. I’m wondering if anyone’s immigrated on a similar income and how they managed? We’re not materialistic and don’t expect to eat out often.

christmasoompa Mar 27th 2019 11:13 pm

Re: Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 

Originally Posted by Emmalouise6 (Post 12661823)
If we stay the end result with the dog will probably be the same....
so if anyone’s got any advice on immigrating on a 60k starting salary with two children? As I said we’re giving up our house, car kids schools. I’m wondering if anyone’s immigrated on a similar income and how they managed? We’re not materialistic and don’t expect to eat out often.

Can I suggest you start your own thread with a relevant title? Your question is likely to be missed tacked on to the end of somebody else's thread.

Good luck.

Denise01292 Mar 28th 2019 2:41 am

Re: Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 
Hi Guys,
We are in Christchurch and can help with some of your questions. My husband has his own construction business, so can help with that aspect too. Cost of living here is expensive, as is accommodation costs. Furniture/appliances are also expensive.....

Pom_Chch Mar 28th 2019 3:52 am

Re: Job offer in ChCh & asked to move in 3 months from UK
 

Originally Posted by Emmalouise6 (Post 12661823)
If we stay the end result with the dog will probably be the same....
so if anyone’s got any advice on immigrating on a 60k starting salary with two children? As I said we’re giving up our house, car kids schools. I’m wondering if anyone’s immigrated on a similar income and how they managed? We’re not materialistic and don’t expect to eat out often.

It all depends on what standard of living you want. My salary is not too different, I have a partner but if I was single I would say it would be more than sufficient. It would likely get me a decent house, some meals out, some fun stuff, savings for travel and savings for a rainy day.

However, with 2 kids on $60k, I personally don't think it would be enough for the standard of living that I would want. I'm not saying it can't be done because it definitely can, people do it on less. But like I say, it all depends what you want out of life! Is there a possibility that you would be working, even part time? That extra $$ from part time work would definitely help.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:29 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.