Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

job offer but qualification confusion!

job offer but qualification confusion!

Old Feb 16th 2017, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

dreambig2017 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default job offer but qualification confusion!

HI everyone,
First time posting on here!
My husband has a job offer in NZ as an Arborist which is on the skilled occupations and immediate shortage list. We were going to apply for skilled migrant visa as we have 3 children as well and are hoping to live permanently in NZ, however I cannot find out if his qualification is recognised! He has a Level 3 City and guilds in Forestry and Arbioculture.
Has anyone experienced this and can offer any advice?
I'm just worried that the employed in NZ wont wait if we need to go through getting the qualification recognised and then starting the EOI/visa process etc.
Perhaps essential skills visa is better?
thanks
Bertie
Old Feb 16th 2017, 5:45 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: job offer but qualification confusion!

if the qualification is from a red brick institute then you could look on the site for exempt qualifications from that establishment if not then it will need to be accessed any way, from what I can remember.
MrF had a qualification from red brick but couldn't find it on the website until he rang NZ Immigration and asked, seems they had called it something slightly different to what he was looking for but qualification was not needed to be accessed.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 6:01 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

looking on the skills list if he has 3 years of experience that he can prove then he would not need his qualification accessed under the Skilled Occupation but the salary would need to be above $45K. If the salary is less then he would need the qualification accessed.
Since they changed the immigration website its harder to search, imho, for the additional details, like the institutions and qualifications that are exempt from assessment. But you could always call them and ask.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dreambig2017
HI everyone,
My husband has a job offer in NZ as an Arborist which is on the skilled occupations and immediate shortage list. We were going to apply for skilled migrant visa as we have 3 children as well and are hoping to live permanently in NZ, however I cannot find out if his qualification is recognised! He has a Level 3 City and guilds in Forestry and Arbioculture.
I'm just worried that the employed in NZ wont wait if we need to go through getting the qualification recognised and then starting the EOI/visa process etc.
thanks
Bertie
I would suggest this should be fine . If NZ Immy are unsure they may ask for International qualifications ยป NZQA or of course you could choose to do a PAR to ensure he meets the level .

Yes. Having a job offer these days is a golden egg. If you can afford the visa fees, apply for the temp essential work visa to get him here and working. I You would apply for an open work visa on the back of that under family stream and the kids ,student visas.

When you come to apply for NZ residency under the skilled migrant stream it will strengthen your application and show willingness and ability to settle.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

MovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by dreambig2017
HI everyone,
thanks
Bertie
As someone who moved from the UK on Temp Visa eventually to Permanent Residency Visa in Australia, then to Canada with a temp work visa, to Philippines to now in the UK (waiting to come to NZ next month).....I cringe and can remember the confusion/pain you feel.......if it helps at all, I found that getting the advice from a relocation agent and selecting the correct Occupation Category and supporting information was the best way forward. Canada, Aus & NZ appear to be very similar with these Skilled Lists and sometimes you can fall between 2 or more categories.

Off topic, as someone who has worked in 3 and about to work in all 4 countries, I wish they would get their heads together and come up with common agreed works qualifications/competencies to make this easier......as an example having an Engineering Degree in the UK is barely recognized in Australia or Canada, very painful and no matter what objections you raise they will counter.

Anyways do your research, get the paperwork right, stay the course and good luck on the journey.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:24 am

they can't really make a "for all" across the countries as many have different criteria and completely different way of doing things, what may work in UK may not work in OZ, NZ Or Canada.

If in doubt ring Immigration NZ as they will be the guys processing the application and will have the most up to date information.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

MovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura aboutMovALot has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
they can't really make a "for all" across the countries as many have different criteria and completely different way of doing things, what may work in UK may not work in OZ, NZ Or Canada.

If in doubt ring Immigration NZ as they will be the guys processing the application and will have the most up to date information.
Good Advice; however...

MrsFychan you sound exactly like a quote I once heard in Western Australia to a friend of mine...."but you down have Western Australian Experience....to which he replied...."what do you build your houses from the roof down here in Australia?"...having worked around the world I can assure you those 4 are very closely matched......end of Point.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi dreambig2017,

Level 3 qualifications don't follow the same path as other qualifications do. They don't appear on an exemption list for Trade Qualifications as you'd expect.
Instead, if they are exempt from assessment they are listed on an exception list which is here for the UK United Kingdom Exceptions The reference to this list can be found on the Qualifications Exempt from Assessment list for UK Trade Qualifications. This is what is referred to as Appendix 8.

As you can see it all starts off with City & Guilds of London Institute so I expect, since his qualification was awarded by them then he qualifies for the 40 points and he doesn't need to have the qualification assessed (not accessed MrsF) by NZQA which is a bonus.

Even though it seems he doesn't need the qualification assessed, the Resident Visa via SMC process can still take several months even when it is of a higher priority with a job offer. It may still be a good idea for hubster to go for the essential skills temporary work visa, then you a temporary work visa as a partner and the kids on student visas or dependent visitor visas in the interim and have the Resident Visa ticking away in the background. There's nothing stopping you starting the Resident Visa process in the UK and then transferring the processing of it to NZ if you move over on temporary visa's first.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Hi dreambig2017,

Level 3 qualifications don't follow the same path as other qualifications do. They don't appear on an exemption list for Trade Qualifications as you'd expect.
Instead, if they are exempt from assessment they are listed on an exception list which is here for the UK United Kingdom Exceptions The reference to this list can be found on the Qualifications Exempt from Assessment list for UK Trade Qualifications. This is what is referred to as Appendix 8.

As you can see it all starts off with City & Guilds of London Institute so I expect, since his qualification was awarded by them then he qualifies for the 40 points and he doesn't need to have the qualification assessed (not accessed MrsF) by NZQA which is a bonus.

Even though it seems he doesn't need the qualification assessed, the Resident Visa via SMC process can still take several months even when it is of a higher priority with a job offer. It may still be a good idea for hubster to go for the essential skills temporary work visa, then you a temporary work visa as a partner and the kids on student visas or dependent visitor visas in the interim and have the Resident Visa ticking away in the background. There's nothing stopping you starting the Resident Visa process in the UK and then transferring the processing of it to NZ if you move over on temporary visa's first.
Excellent advice, I did exactly the same going to Oz in 2010, went on a temporary visa (work offered) whilst permanent residency visa applied for in background before leaving UK - came in at the 8month mark, all I had to do was get it 'stamped' in Aus Embassy offshore (went to Bali!) then returned as a Permanent Resident.