Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job offer but no visa yet

Job offer but no visa yet

Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:08 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 54
shellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Job offer but no visa yet

Hello,

I’ve gotten a job offer. My application for resident visa under skilled migrant category has been filed and waiting for the case allocation to an immigration officer in London, and I am told the process will take 1-3 month(s).They are suggesting that I apply for a temporary work visa to start before the resident visa is issued in the uncertain time frame. Local visa branch is close to where I live, and getting a temporary visa may not be a bad idea, but it will include only me, and I will need to file additionally for my family. My employer would like it if I could start early, however, I do have approximately 6 weeks before I need to start - not sure how much additional time they might grant me.

I’m wondering in general do people who receive a job offer wait for the resident visa, or get a temporary work visa so they can start working first. Pros and Cons? Thanks for suggestions.
shellmat is offline  
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:19 pm
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
MrsFychan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
Posts: 8,989
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Congrats
my husband was in NZ when he got a job offer so he just went into Wellington Immigration office and got a temp visa that day and started work the following. We had put the EOI in but at the time we only had 120 points with the job offer it upped the points so we selected on the next selection day. from that point it took from end of October to mid February for the PR to be approved and the stamps put in the passports.
Husbands employer, he works in IT, was not really prepared to wait that long hence the reason for him not returning to us in the UK and taking up the position immediately. Myself and the kids moved over on visitors visa's in the January. School gave the kids 2 weeks grace from having to see the passports as we provided confirmation from the Immigration office that we had been approved and that we were just waiting on paperwork to be transferred to NZ from UK for the passports to be stamped.
For us it was worth the extra payment of the temp work visa and separation to get the process rolling and not sit around worrying about looking, securing a job
MrsFychan is offline  
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:30 am
  #3  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 34,847
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Donkey's years ago Mr BEVS had a job offer and wanted him to start. We took up a temp work visa and in tandem started the PR application.
BEVS is offline  
Old Mar 26th 2013, 1:55 am
  #4  
It is what it is Member
 
simonsi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Blockhouse Bay, Auckland
Posts: 2,795
simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Prime aim is to keep the employer happy and job offer intact so I'd submit a temp visa while the PR is processed. That is what we did and we had the temp visa back in 5 days from posting the forms n fees off.

Some additional cost involved but a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of emigration costs....
simonsi is offline  
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:16 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 54
shellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Originally Posted by simonsi View Post
Prime aim is to keep the employer happy and job offer intact so I'd submit a temp visa while the PR is processed. That is what we did and we had the temp visa back in 5 days from posting the forms n fees off.

Some additional cost involved but a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of emigration costs....
Hi simonsi,

If you don't mind my asking did you apply for a temp work visa in London by any change?
shellmat is offline  
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:17 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 54
shellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Donkey's years ago Mr BEVS had a job offer and wanted him to start. We took up a temp work visa and in tandem started the PR application.
Hello MrsFychan, BEVS & simonsi,

Thanks for the advice. The wife is going to apply for the temp work visa tomorrow. We were hoping the PR would come through before we needed to go, but why take the risk. Our endeavors to move to NZ have been going on now for 3 years so just trying to make this as easy as possible.
shellmat is offline  
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:36 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: christchurch
Posts: 61
Firestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Hi Shellmat i posted temp visa to london Monday it arrived tuesday , visa approved thursday morning , passport back following monday , if thats any help to ya...................
Firestorm333 is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:58 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
M_and_M's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Invercargill
Posts: 627
M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Originally Posted by shellmat View Post
Hello,

I’ve gotten a job offer. My application for resident visa under skilled migrant category has been filed and waiting for the case allocation to an immigration officer in London, and I am told the process will take 1-3 month(s).They are suggesting that I apply for a temporary work visa to start before the resident visa is issued in the uncertain time frame. Local visa branch is close to where I live, and getting a temporary visa may not be a bad idea, but it will include only me, and I will need to file additionally for my family. My employer would like it if I could start early, however, I do have approximately 6 weeks before I need to start - not sure how much additional time they might grant me.

I’m wondering in general do people who receive a job offer wait for the resident visa, or get a temporary work visa so they can start working first. Pros and Cons? Thanks for suggestions.
EXACTLY what happened to me. check the blog for my timescales.

I got a temp visa, marked it urgent and took it to London in person. I had it back in 6 days. Originally I was going to have to leave without Mr M but we have now sold the house, so we are sending in a temp partnership visa so that he can work when he gets there too, while we wait for the PR visa to be completed.

Yep, definitely possible. My employer wanted me there like YESTERDAY but were really cool about it, I sent regular emails detailing what stage I was on with the paperwork and they really appreciated that.

M_and_M is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:54 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Kaikoura
Posts: 54
c_wal10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Gosh I had no idea you could do it this way. We have been worrying about getting the job offer but having to wait for visa before we can get there. In farming its not always possible to wait. We are going to look into this more.thanks for the heads up
c_wal10 is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:10 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: New Plymouth
Posts: 172
RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all
Default Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Check out my signature, that has my Visa process on it (cam't remember the dates exactly but felt like forever).

If the need him to start sooner then I would definateyl run them side-by-side. You never know when the next job offer is going to come along.
RachelG12 is offline  
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:21 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
M_and_M's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Invercargill
Posts: 627
M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Agreed Rachel. I considered turning it down because they rushed me but was majorly advised not to!
M_and_M is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:22 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: New Plymouth
Posts: 172
RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all
Default Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Originally Posted by RachelG12 View Post
Check out my signature, that has my Visa process on it (cam't remember the dates exactly but felt like forever).

If the need him to start sooner then I would definateyl run them side-by-side. You never know when the next job offer is going to come along.
Apologies for the appaling spelling errors. i-phones and rushing do not go hand-in-hand x
RachelG12 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.