Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job offer but no visa yet

Job offer but no visa yet

Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

shellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Job offer but no visa yet

Hello,

I’ve gotten a job offer. My application for resident visa under skilled migrant category has been filed and waiting for the case allocation to an immigration officer in London, and I am told the process will take 1-3 month(s).They are suggesting that I apply for a temporary work visa to start before the resident visa is issued in the uncertain time frame. Local visa branch is close to where I live, and getting a temporary visa may not be a bad idea, but it will include only me, and I will need to file additionally for my family. My employer would like it if I could start early, however, I do have approximately 6 weeks before I need to start - not sure how much additional time they might grant me.

I’m wondering in general do people who receive a job offer wait for the resident visa, or get a temporary work visa so they can start working first. Pros and Cons? Thanks for suggestions.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:19 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Congrats
my husband was in NZ when he got a job offer so he just went into Wellington Immigration office and got a temp visa that day and started work the following. We had put the EOI in but at the time we only had 120 points with the job offer it upped the points so we selected on the next selection day. from that point it took from end of October to mid February for the PR to be approved and the stamps put in the passports.
Husbands employer, he works in IT, was not really prepared to wait that long hence the reason for him not returning to us in the UK and taking up the position immediately. Myself and the kids moved over on visitors visa's in the January. School gave the kids 2 weeks grace from having to see the passports as we provided confirmation from the Immigration office that we had been approved and that we were just waiting on paperwork to be transferred to NZ from UK for the passports to be stamped.
For us it was worth the extra payment of the temp work visa and separation to get the process rolling and not sit around worrying about looking, securing a job
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Donkey's years ago Mr BEVS had a job offer and wanted him to start. We took up a temp work visa and in tandem started the PR application.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 1:55 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Prime aim is to keep the employer happy and job offer intact so I'd submit a temp visa while the PR is processed. That is what we did and we had the temp visa back in 5 days from posting the forms n fees off.

Some additional cost involved but a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of emigration costs....
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

shellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Prime aim is to keep the employer happy and job offer intact so I'd submit a temp visa while the PR is processed. That is what we did and we had the temp visa back in 5 days from posting the forms n fees off.

Some additional cost involved but a drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of emigration costs....
Hi simonsi,

If you don't mind my asking did you apply for a temp work visa in London by any change?
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Donkey's years ago Mr BEVS had a job offer and wanted him to start. We took up a temp work visa and in tandem started the PR application.
Hello MrsFychan, BEVS & simonsi,

Thanks for the advice. The wife is going to apply for the temp work visa tomorrow. We were hoping the PR would come through before we needed to go, but why take the risk. Our endeavors to move to NZ have been going on now for 3 years so just trying to make this as easy as possible.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Firestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura aboutFirestorm333 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Shellmat i posted temp visa to london Monday it arrived tuesday , visa approved thursday morning , passport back following monday , if thats any help to ya...................
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Job offer but no visa yet

Originally Posted by shellmat
Hello,

I’ve gotten a job offer. My application for resident visa under skilled migrant category has been filed and waiting for the case allocation to an immigration officer in London, and I am told the process will take 1-3 month(s).They are suggesting that I apply for a temporary work visa to start before the resident visa is issued in the uncertain time frame. Local visa branch is close to where I live, and getting a temporary visa may not be a bad idea, but it will include only me, and I will need to file additionally for my family. My employer would like it if I could start early, however, I do have approximately 6 weeks before I need to start - not sure how much additional time they might grant me.

I’m wondering in general do people who receive a job offer wait for the resident visa, or get a temporary work visa so they can start working first. Pros and Cons? Thanks for suggestions.
EXACTLY what happened to me. check the blog for my timescales.

I got a temp visa, marked it urgent and took it to London in person. I had it back in 6 days. Originally I was going to have to leave without Mr M but we have now sold the house, so we are sending in a temp partnership visa so that he can work when he gets there too, while we wait for the PR visa to be completed.

Yep, definitely possible. My employer wanted me there like YESTERDAY but were really cool about it, I sent regular emails detailing what stage I was on with the paperwork and they really appreciated that.

Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

c_wal10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gosh I had no idea you could do it this way. We have been worrying about getting the job offer but having to wait for visa before we can get there. In farming its not always possible to wait. We are going to look into this more.thanks for the heads up
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Check out my signature, that has my Visa process on it (cam't remember the dates exactly but felt like forever).

If the need him to start sooner then I would definateyl run them side-by-side. You never know when the next job offer is going to come along.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed Rachel. I considered turning it down because they rushed me but was majorly advised not to!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RachelG12
Check out my signature, that has my Visa process on it (cam't remember the dates exactly but felt like forever).

If the need him to start sooner then I would definateyl run them side-by-side. You never know when the next job offer is going to come along.
Apologies for the appaling spelling errors. i-phones and rushing do not go hand-in-hand x