Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Auckland

Job offer in Auckland

Old May 21st 2019, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

mexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nice
Default Re: Job offer in Auckland

Thanks to everyone for all your responses and much appreciated thoughts on this subject. I have plenty to work through now and will take a very considered approach to making the move.

Cheers
Nick
Old May 21st 2019, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has also made me open my eyes and assess our situation.
I thought that we would be in a comfortable position - we've just paid off our mortgage and will go with circa £850k (gulp) in cash to buy or build with on North Shore.
My husband will be earning just under $10k net per month, but I am not planning to work for at least a year while we settle the kids in and I work out what I can do. I currently work part time as a producer for an ad agency but the industry is rapidly being remodelled and, at the wrong side of 45, I don't want to be the oldest 'new girl' in town. My husband doesn't seem to think I will have a problem getting a different job but he hasn't taken account of my age/expat status/fairly niche experience.

No matter I thought, no childcare and mortgage. Then I did a Pak n Save sample shop as advised above and realised that our food shopping and the need for a second car will wipe out any savings made (our mortgage was a very manageable £650 per month). Add a big trip to the UK every year (my dad is sick and can't travel) and all the other living costs that are higher in NZ...

In the UK we put £2200 into a joint account and it pays for all the general family expenditure - (previously) mortgage, food, council tax, utilities, TV, kids sports clubs, childcare, tutoring, most of the kid's clothes and ad hoc items. Sincce paying off the mortgage three months ago we have used the surplus to do maintenence on the house prior to putting it on the market. We pay for holidays/Christmas/birthdays/big adhoc costs from our savings and we pay reasonable amounts individually into our pensions. It feels like we have finances sussed here, and while I obviously realise we won't be on the poverty line (and conscious of coming acoss as very 'first world problem'), we will have a big fall in disposable income.
Old May 21st 2019, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hallie_day
This thread has also made me open my eyes and assess our situation.
I thought that we would be in a comfortable position - we've just paid off our mortgage and will go with circa £850k (gulp) in cash to buy or build with on North Shore.
My husband will be earning just under $10k net per month, but I am not planning to work for at least a year while we settle the kids in and I work out what I can do. I currently work part time as a producer for an ad agency but the industry is rapidly being remodelled and, at the wrong side of 45, I don't want to be the oldest 'new girl' in town. My husband doesn't seem to think I will have a problem getting a different job but he hasn't taken account of my age/expat status/fairly niche experience.

No matter I thought, no childcare and mortgage. Then I did a Pak n Save sample shop as advised above and realised that our food shopping and the need for a second car will wipe out any savings made (our mortgage was a very manageable £650 per month). Add a big trip to the UK every year (my dad is sick and can't travel) and all the other living costs that are higher in NZ...

In the UK we put £2200 into a joint account and it pays for all the general family expenditure - (previously) mortgage, food, council tax, utilities, TV, kids sports clubs, childcare, tutoring, most of the kid's clothes and ad hoc items. Sincce paying off the mortgage three months ago we have used the surplus to do maintenence on the house prior to putting it on the market. We pay for holidays/Christmas/birthdays/big adhoc costs from our savings and we pay reasonable amounts individually into our pensions. It feels like we have finances sussed here, and while I obviously realise we won't be on the poverty line (and conscious of coming acoss as very 'first world problem'), we will have a big fall in disposable income.
If you are nearly millionaires, why on earth are you moving to a more expensive place. For that money you could just buy a huge house elsewhere in the UK or Europe, would still have 600K in savings and could live happily for the rest of your lives, without the added pressure of having to always have a high income job
Old May 21st 2019, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If you are nearly millionaires, why on earth are you moving to a more expensive place. For that money you could just buy a huge house elsewhere in the UK or Europe, would still have 600K in savings and could live happily for the rest of your lives, without the added pressure of having to always have a high income job
Unfortunately life does't work like that.
With ailing parents and our social networks in London and Auckland, there would be no point in going somewhere completely random just to buy a cheap house and live out our days - if nothing else we still have two primary aged kids. While it may sound like a lot of money, it won't keep four people for the next 12/14 years and the two of us in old age.
My husband is going back to Auckland to take over the family business so his mum can retire and look after his dad who has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers.
He will love his new job (same job as he currently does in the UK but working for himself) and I only need to cover my outgoings so it won't be high pressured. For me it's more about the uncertainty and moving countries at a weird age. And horror and the cost of a basic shop!

Last edited by hallie_day; May 21st 2019 at 12:02 pm.
Old May 21st 2019, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hallie_day
Unfortunately life does't work like that.
With ailing parents and our social networks in London and Auckland, there would be no point in going somewhere completely random just to buy a cheap house and live out our days - if nothing else we still have two primary aged kids. While is may sound like a lot of money, it won't keep four people for the next 12/14 years and the two of us in old age.
My husband is going back to Auckland to take over the family business so his mum can retire and look after his dad who has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers.
He will love his new job (same job as he currently does in the UK but working for himself) and I only need to cover my outgoings so it won't be high pressured. For me it's more about the uncertainty and moving countries at a weird age. And horror and the cost of a basic shop!
Ok, in your case it is his mum looking after his dad but of course that is a hell lot of money and it's not about living out your days going to a random place. Even outside Auckland and London life exists and people have nice homes, good jobs and can save. Just saying that it's only a house on a street that exists everywhere, so for me it's surprising that millionaires would be worried about the cost of a basic shop. If that's the case, why spend all the money on property?

Last edited by Moses2013; May 21st 2019 at 12:08 pm.
Old May 21st 2019, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, in your case it is his mum looking after his dad but of course that is a hell lot of money and it's not about living out your days going to a random place. Even outside Auckland and London life exists and people have nice homes, good jobs and can save. Just saying that it's only a house on a street that exists everywhere, so for me it's surprising that millionaires would be worried about the cost of a basic shop. If that's the case, why spend all the money on property?
Inevitably there are more jobs and better schools / facilities where the most expensive housing is. That's just market forces.
I have lived in London for 23 years, my husband 19 years, my point is that we have ties to both those cities and we're not about to relocate and start again. I understand the argument more for people relocating to NZ with no ties to a particular area, but for us there would be no point. And if we stayed in the UK we would stay in London, it's our home and we like living here.
Where we want to live we will have assets (house), but not a millionaire's disposable income.
Old May 21st 2019, 10:50 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you are nearly millionaires, why on earth are you moving to a more expensive place.
For that poster it is a family thing. One set of parents live in NZ. They go to support them.

Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by mexnick
Thanks to everyone for all your responses and much appreciated thoughts on this subject. I have plenty to work through now and will take a very considered approach to making the move.

Cheers
Nick
Hey Nick.

So did you decide to go or not?

b