Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Auckland

Job offer in Auckland

Old May 12th 2019, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

mexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nice
Default Re: Job offer in Auckland

Originally Posted by Pim
I live in Gulf Harbour and have lived in the same house for 14 years -it is not a leaky building!
Do your homework, know what to look for in a leaky building - no eaves, type of build.
there are some very nice houses here.
The public transport is good if you want to get to the city but rubbish for anywhere else.
The gulf harbour ferry to the CBD is good and costs $330 for a monthly pass
There are lots of beaches here and nice walks - shame about Whangaparaoa Road - congested!!!!
NZ are not great at town planning
I'll be looking into this area too, sounds nice plus like the idea of being able to get the bus to work if we can't afford a second car. The pictures on the net make this place look very picturesque, will need to get more knowledge on identifying a 'leaky' house...
Old May 13th 2019, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I believe agents are legally bound to inform potential buyers if they have any knowledge of a property being leaky
Leaky homes were a result of poor building regulations in NZ which lead to water ingress in some. The legal battle over who was responsible for footing the repairs bill raged for a long time. Builders said they built to regulations for we're not responsible. The government said the regulations were the result of consultations with independent building regulatory bodies. Everybody blamed everybody else while the poor home owners sat helplessly watching the value of their homes/ investments tumble and become unsellable. There was so much panic, if a development had one leaky property, people were labelling the rest as leaky which had huge knock on effects for all the other home owners in perfectly good properties. Things have calmed down a lot now but a full check on any potential purchase is recommended.

Last edited by Justcol; May 13th 2019 at 1:30 am.
Old May 13th 2019, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

mexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nice

Old May 14th 2019, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by Justcol
I wouldn't say it was any less an area of Auckland than Otara or Manukau. It's 20 mins to Browns Bay, 30 to Takapuna and under 40 to the CBD, but it is the distance from all the hustle and bustle that makes it what it is
I wouldn't ever count Manukau as Auckland - it is called Manukau City as it is a city in its own right. Under 40 mins from Whangaparaoa to the CBD? At what time? I checked on google maps at 7am NZ time this morning - was already up to 1hr 6 mins already and I'm sure that gets worse at 8am. I'm aware not everyone travels at this time, but the majority of people who work, do.

Old May 14th 2019, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BtotheR
I wouldn't ever count Manukau as Auckland - it is called Manukau City as it is a city in its own right. Under 40 mins from Whangaparaoa to the CBD? At what time? I checked on google maps at 7am NZ time this morning - was already up to 1hr 6 mins already and I'm sure that gets worse at 8am. I'm aware not everyone travels at this time, but the majority of people who work, do.
I'm simply offering suggestions based on my time up there. Obviously I'm wrong and you know best
Auckland stretches from just outside Mangawhai in the north, all the way down to Pukekohe in the south
last time I looked Manukau was a lot further north than pukekohe.

Last edited by Justcol; May 14th 2019 at 11:35 am.
Old May 14th 2019, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BtotheR
I wouldn't ever count Manukau as Auckland - it is called Manukau City as it is a city in its own right.
No absolutely not true, since 2010, when all became one 'supercity'. Would you similarly deny Waitakere or North Shore the right to be counted as Auckland?
Old May 14th 2019, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
No absolutely not true, since 2010, when all became one 'supercity'. Would you similarly deny Waitakere or North Shore the right to be counted as Auckland?
I wouldn't deny Luton London Airport of being London apart from the fact it is not. I wouldn't deny Oxenholme Lake District Train Station of not being in the Lake District, apart from the fact it is not.

I'm more than aware of the super city and its boundaries, but its more what is counted as actual Auckland when you live there and I wouldn't "deny" any of these as being Auckland as per the super city plan.

Last edited by BtotheR; May 14th 2019 at 9:07 pm.
Old May 14th 2019, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

I'm simply offering suggestions based on my time up there. Obviously I'm wrong and you know best
Yep
Old May 14th 2019, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Things starting to move along a bit more now. The office i'll be working out of is south/central Auckland. Checked the google maps route planner and looks to be about a 30/40 min commute from areas such as Titirangi/Lainghorn. My work day would start around 7am so would hopefully miss the worst of the traffic.

Slightly off topic, i've been researching average wages for NZ, I appreciate it is a regional thing so am working on the assumption that AK is one of the more expensive areas of NZ. The figures seem to vary depending which website you go on, average wage ranges from $50k to $77K, anyone got any idea where the reality lies?
Old May 14th 2019, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Statistics NZ says the average is around 50k which is probably about right.

​​​​
Old May 14th 2019, 10:17 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Statistics NZ says the average is around 50k which is probably about right.

​​​​
Probably about right overall. Actual salary/wage depends on location and occupation.

I thought that $50/$70k was considered too low a wage to live in the Auk area. Not that I live there.

Old May 15th 2019, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I thought that $50/$70k was considered too low a wage to live in the Auk area. Not that I live there.
Most certainly it would be a hard knock life, unless of course coming here as a singleton sharing accommodation costs or wadged up with cash to purchase property outright.
Old May 15th 2019, 9:13 am
Just Joined

N andrew is an unknown quantity at this point

​​​​​​hi before leaving the U.K. think very carefully about what your doing.
nz is a beautiful country nice people but not U.K. not much work around.schools here apart from sports are pretty poor.housing is 30 years behind the U.K.
white goods are double the price.
It can be very lonely u miss family and friends a lot.
Think carefully in why your leaving can u change your life in the U.K. to make it better.
Myself I regret coming here so much
Old May 15th 2019, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by N andrew
​​​​​​hi before leaving the U.K. think very carefully about what your doing.
nz is a beautiful country nice people but not U.K. not much work around.schools here apart from sports are pretty poor.housing is 30 years behind the U.K.
white goods are double the price.
It can be very lonely u miss family and friends a lot.
Think carefully in why your leaving can u change your life in the U.K. to make it better.
Myself I regret coming here so much
Which is a whole new thread in itself.

I've had a few ups and downs in my 11 years here. I've been through the homesick stage, like many expats I got divorced, I've had no money and pots of money, had friends, lost friends and made new ones. I've lived in 3 different regions of the country and haven't written of making it 4 in a few years. And despite all that I have never once regretted coming
Yes white goods cost more here, but really, so what if a washing machine is 75 quid more expensive, it's a small price to pay
​​​​​​

Last edited by Justcol; May 15th 2019 at 11:36 am.
Old May 15th 2019, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Which is a whole new thread in itself.

I've had a few ups and downs in my 11 years here. I've been through the homesick stage, like many expats I got divorced, I've had no money and pots of money, had friends, lost friends and made new ones. I've lived in 3 different regions of the country and haven't written of making it 4 in a few years. And despite all that I have never once regretted coming
Yes white goods cost more here, but really, so what if a washing machine is 75 quid more expensive, it's a small price to pay
​​​​​​
Exactly and the same everywhere, so not unique to NZ. I know a lot of German people here in Ireland and some might also complain that certain things are more expensive and so on, but at the end of the day they left for a reason and there's always a boat in the morning:-). But of course one has to consider the huge distance and higher costs to get back.

Last edited by Moses2013; May 15th 2019 at 12:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.