Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Job offer in Auckland

Job offer in Auckland

Old May 19th 2019, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer in Auckland

Originally Posted by Justcol
Would now be a good time to mention $20 for a kilo of tomato's and the infamous cucumber scandal
And heaven forbid if you need to buy enough limes for a batch of mojitos....
Old May 19th 2019, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

mexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
You are taxed on every cent of income - no tax free element of pay

Mortgage interest rates - cheapest floating rate around 5.7% in NZ (lowest it has been in decades) and fixed term and longer term rates are still in the high fours (4.5% to 4.8%). In the UK there's much more competition and incentives to switch mortgages; I see you can currently get two year fixed rates around 1.6% in UK

Things you pay for out of your net income separately which you don't pay for in full or directly in UK:

Healthcare - doctors visits, practice nurse and physio appointments and such like which are only partly funded
Dentists - full private cost (no NHS subsidies or anything)
School 'donations'
Rubbish collection (upto $200 per year depending on where you live)

Other things need to allow for:
Parking or other commuting costs in Auckland
Mobile phone and internet plans - not as much choice and not as cheap as UK
Generally cost of food, services and other shopping - food, eating out, clothes, school uniforms, shoes etc. all veer towards the high end compared to UK , or else there's little opportunity to shop around and avoid high costs because we simply don't have the alternatives at the 'budget' end of the spectrum such as your Ikeas, Aldis and Lidls.
Thanks for your in depth response. Actually found something on the NZ govt website that helps to work out an average on living costs versus your projected wage. Not sure how accurate it really is but doesn't paint a pretty picture on a combined wage of $150k. Seems to echo what most have been saying on here. It's looking like I'll be going back to the employer and unless I can negotiate a higher wage we're either staying here or looking for opportunities in cheaper parts of NZ.

Had a long chat yesterday with a friend who has been living in south island for 12 years and now back for a short time before returning. His advice is to go for it to get into the country and then look to move elsewhere after arrival. Not so easy with kids plus am sure that because the new employer is helping me to get out there i'll be contractually obliged to stay with them for a period of time. Was interesting to get a perspective on life in the south island, sounds great but my friend did outline the various compromises to be made, particularly the higher cost of living but he seemed to feel that the scenery, weather and outdoors lifestyle compensated for that.
Old May 19th 2019, 10:01 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mexnick
Was interesting to get a perspective on life in the south island, sounds great but my friend did outline the various compromises to be made, particularly the higher cost of living but he seemed to feel that the scenery, weather and outdoors lifestyle compensated for that.
Only such much a piece of scenery can do and kids soon grow out of going to the beach, weather here is more extreme than the UK with the added adventure of earthquakes, tsunami and volcanoes . At the end of the day its the day to day life you need to be thinking about and can you compromise enough to have a life syle that will suit you or that you will be happy living with
Old May 19th 2019, 10:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Had a long chat yesterday with a friend who has been living in south island for 12 years and now back for a short time before returning. His advice is to go for it to get into the country and then look to move elsewhere after arrival.
Good enough plan

Not so easy with kids plus am sure that because the new employer is helping me to get out there i'll be contractually obliged to stay with them for a period of time.
That depends. If the employer is paying relocation expenses then that might be so. If not and you find alternative employment somewhere else with someone else AND IF it meets immigration policy criteria you would apply for a variation of conditions to your work visa.

Was interesting to get a perspective on life in the south island, sounds great but my friend did outline the various compromises to be made, particularly the higher cost of living but he seemed to feel that the scenery, weather and outdoors lifestyle compensated for that.
Depends where on the South Island would interest you. Some areas are more cost effective than others.

Old May 19th 2019, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your in depth response. Actually found something on the NZ govt website that helps to work out an average on living costs versus your projected wage. Not sure how accurate it really is but doesn't paint a pretty picture on a combined wage of $150k. Seems to echo what most have been saying on here. It's looking like I'll be going back to the employer and unless I can negotiate a higher wage we're either staying here or looking for opportunities in cheaper parts of NZ.

Had a long chat yesterday with a friend who has been living in south island for 12 years and now back for a short time before returning. His advice is to go for it to get into the country and then look to move elsewhere after arrival. Not so easy with kids plus am sure that because the new employer is helping me to get out there i'll be contractually obliged to stay with them for a period of time. Was interesting to get a perspective on life in the south island, sounds great but my friend did outline the various compromises to be made, particularly the higher cost of living but he seemed to feel that the scenery, weather and outdoors lifestyle compensated for that.
Have you given up on Auckland? On $150k I would guess that you'd be in the top 20% of earning families. Even on 100k, you'd be in the top 40% I reckon And there are far more people moving here than leaving. Plus besides advice to be aware of costs you wouldn't be expecting, there are also savings in the other direction. You won't pay council tax if renting, for example. And no tv license fee. There's an element of swings and roundabouts in these things. You can also check up costs of things online easy enough. Try a trial shop at countdown.co.nz for groceries and see how it works ou after converting $'s to £'s.
No one can tell you whether to come or not. There are UK expats who love it here, and those that don't, and no one knows what category you'll be in until you've been here a while and experienced it.. But, in my opinion, Auckland offers a good lifestyle. Lots of things to do and a good climate. Good luck in your decision making process.

Last edited by garethwm; May 19th 2019 at 11:13 pm.
Old May 20th 2019, 4:25 am
`

Originally Posted by garethwm
Try a trial shop at countdown.co.nz for groceries and see how it works out ---- after converting $'s to £'s. ------
Never ever do that - period. It is comparing apples to pears.

Do however do the Countdown online shop as suggested . Ensure you include most items that you would normally spend on.
Then list out other bills and expenses.
Finally work out your expected NZ salary/wage net of tax.
Minus bills/expenses from net income leaves the disposable income for savings, pension, rainy day bills, holidays, treats.
Do all of that in NZD. Converting or thinking back to GBP or the UK won't help.

My general list for our budget with a couple bits added .
Electric
Water
Phone/Internet/Mobiles
Commute costs
School "donations" & inevitable trips - sports stuff ( We have no kids)
Rubbish bags
Heating
Groceries
Rates ( we are rent and mortgage free)
Car WOF
Car Insurance
Car Tax
House contents ins
House insurance
GP/Meds/Dentist
% interest rates perhaps if a mortgage.

Also factor in start up costs once arrived.

We manage on around $55/$60K net pa. We have no children and no mortgage. Ours is a tight budget. It is supplemented with my part time work and other sources of income. From that I budget for hols best I can or large unexpected bills like car tyres, white ware purchases when stuff stops working and this year it is needing the house painted We don't eat out hardly at all nor go for a drink. Mostly it is the NZ way of going to each other's houses. Glass of wine in a bar or tavern is the price of a bottle of wine to take to friends. People don't do it.
Old May 20th 2019, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice

That's all good, you can actually "shop" at paknsave now because they have a click and collect system going. Cheaper than Countdown.
Old May 20th 2019, 6:05 am
`

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol
That's all good, you can actually "shop" at paknsave now because they have a click and collect system going. Cheaper than Countdown.
Ta for that missus . I will check that out as I could factor that when I need to do the grocery run. We are in the Nelson Tasman area. There is only Pak n Save in Richmond in one direction but a Countdown and New World in Motueka which is closer and easier overall.

Pak n Save is defo cheaper than Countdown overall.

Have some BE karma for being so helpful. You can't spend it but it means cheers, thanks and lovely.
Old May 20th 2019, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Auckland. A few years ago I went to a funeral for one of the New Zealand family.

Another group at the funeral was a family that live in Invercargill. The father had moved the family down there from Auckland and he was very pleased with his quality of life there compared to Auckland.

The family had spent the previous day in Hamilton and their two teenage daughters that had grown up in Invercargill were in awe of how sophisticated life in Hamilton appeared becuase there was even a McDonalds just near to where they were staying. I felt so sorry for those girls.
Old May 20th 2019, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice

Good God Clappy I thought it was past your bedtime!
Old May 20th 2019, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
I live in Auckland. A few years ago I went to a funeral for one of the New Zealand family.

Another group at the funeral was a family that live in Invercargill. The father had moved the family down there from Auckland and he was very pleased with his quality of life there compared to Auckland.

The family had spent the previous day in Hamilton and their two teenage daughters that had grown up in Invercargill were in awe of how sophisticated life in Hamilton appeared becuase there was even a McDonalds just near to where they were staying. I felt so sorry for those girls.
I don't see why. I'd be pleased to have raised my kids away from all the excess and shallowness that goes with life in a big city.
Old May 20th 2019, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I don't see why. I'd be pleased to have raised my kids away from all the excess and shallowness that goes with life in a big city.
I don't have any kids so I don't have a parent perspective on the topic.

I do remember that I grew up in a small country-town in England and I felt terribly under-prepared for dealing with every-day interactions when I moved to London aged 18 so I think that more experience would be good for the children.
Old May 20th 2019, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute

To echo Clappy, I think there's a bigger chance they will go crazy once they (inevitably) move somehwhere with all those tempations.
I know I did when I went to uni after a relatively sheltered upbringing.

My (London) 6 and 9 year olds are more streetwise than my niece and nephew who are in their early teens but live in rural Worcestershire....
Old May 20th 2019, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
I don't have any kids so I don't have a parent perspective on the topic.

I do remember that I grew up in a small country-town in England and I felt terribly under-prepared for dealing with every-day interactions when I moved to London aged 18 so I think that more experience would be good for the children.
Maybe because your parents never took you to the city and times were different back then + they now have McDonalds in Invercargill? Being in London would be my biggest nightmare and it has nothing to do with being under-prepared. I know many kids in the West of Ireland and although they don't have a McDonalds on their doorstep, they don't miss it. They can still go to Dublin or other cities if they wish + at least in Ireland we have Supermacs in every town
Old May 20th 2019, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

I guess that's what they mean when they say that living in NZ kids have an extra 3 years of just being kids and that's a tempting thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.